Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Razor wire at end of garden?
  • Joe

Anyone installed razor wire at the end of their garden. My house is unoccupied a lot of the time. From the front it’s pretty secure (two front doors) and the UPVC door is good on the rear; but i back onto a public park with a low ish wall and am concerned about burglars targeting the shed etc.

Has anyone done this and any disadvantages?

km79
    Free Member

Is it even still legal?

T1000
    Free Member

Try planting pyrocanthus instead, It’s like natural barbwire

khani
    Free Member

Please don’t, it’ll stop a burglar for all of ten seconds but any animals that go near it will be cut to ribbons..

z1ppy

Isn’t there a minimum height requirment? 2.4 metres (EDIT: it may only be required for public highways according to the site link.. need to look at that more )
    Warning signs are required, so that they can’t sue you for entering your property without your permission
    Source

I happily let bramble grow at the bottom of my (rented) house, obviously not the quick solution your after..

tjagain

razor wire has to be above a certain height IIRC if the public have access to one side of it

Edit – beaten to it

the other thing is it is like a big sign saying ” something worth nicking in here”

Defensive planting is a better bet

timber

Blackthorn hedge. Bit late to plant now unless you get potted stuff, but very cheap otherwise. Just got to wait a little to get the height you want.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Cultivate some Nettles and brambles.. Scatter some rubbish, an old sofa and a rusty shopping trolley round the place. Make it look a bit scruffy..

eyestwice
    Free Member

Have you considered strategically-located claymores?

With the obligatory warning sign of course, wouldn’t want anyone tripping them unintentionally due to the cost of them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

How about a wall, a really nice wall, a great wall, an amazing wall (some builders might be free)

eyestwice
    Free Member

With the added advantage that the Mexicans may pay for it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

What about, a shrubbery?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“With the added advantage that the Mexicans may pay for it.”

That’s tickled me.

I had a new fence last year, wish I thought of asking Mexico to stump up.

CountZero

Try planting pyrocanthus instead, It’s like natural barbedwire

This, although it’s not a quick fix, like blackthorn as someone says above, but blackthorn really isn’t something you want in your garden, ‘cos it’ll do its utmost to take over the entire garden, it sends out suckers from the roots that just keep spreading outwards, unless you sink a deep trench with a barrier set into it, like paving slabs set on end.
    Pyrocanthus doesn’t, but the thorns are bloody evil, welding gloves are recommended for picking up trimmings, carefully!

matt_outandabout

Who pays for the wall, you or the neighbour?

deadkenny
    Free Member

aphex_2k – Member 
    What about, a shrubbery?

Ni!

maccruiskeen

Just install a flagpole

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Slaver Sun flowers, Nu-Earth Bio-wire and Triffids. The “green solutions”.

project
    Free Member

fitted ita few years ago on a takeaway rear yard,within a week we had the owner saying it had to be removed on instructions from police, who may be injured trying to chase burglars, removed it and takeaway got robbed a few weeks later, from rear yard.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

there’s a variety of blackberry that I’ve seen called ‘nature’s razorwire’. That would be a) legal, b) edible, and c) animal friendly, so triple win.

submarined
    Free Member

Blackthorn! Because you’ll forget about the invasiveness when you’re watching burglars wince whilst you’re supping delicious fruity gin.

CountZero

Both blackberry and blackthorn will spread like the common cold given even half a chance, at least Pyrocanthus stays where you plant it, it has lots of coloured berries, although you can’t eat or drink them, but I’d hate to try to climb over it, the thorns will go through welding gloves!

epicyclo

No one going to suggest a moat? So much classier… 🙂

Joe

Great shout on the blackthorn chaps. I will get some and plant it in the park land which is already shrubby behind the wall. Much better idea and should be grown within the year. Thanks for the advice.

CheesybeanZ

Blackthorn on the other side of the wall , Pyrocanthus on your side – plus a moat with lazer wielding sharks .

gears_suck
    Free Member

Cover the top of the wall with boiled sprouts. Everyone hates them.

rOcKeTdOg

[video]https://youtu.be/u0pdmj5JdDY[/video]

epicyclo

CheesybeanZ – Member
    Blackthorn on the other side of the wall , Pyrocanthus on your side – plus a moat with lazer wielding sharks .

Sharks are useless in a moat, unless you have a constant supply of nefarious scrotes – they need to eat too often.

You need the perfect ambush predator, the Australian Saltwater crocodile. It will be happy on only 3 or 4 scrotes a year, plus if the kids get too bothersome, they’re handy for some post natal family planning…

CheesybeanZ

Sharks are useless in a moat, unless you have a constant supply of nefarious scrotes – they need to eat too often.

Ah yes your right , sharks have no place in a low maintenance moat .

hoodoo
    Free Member

+1 for the pyrocantha (pyrocanthus) otherwise known as firethorn. Looks lovely, amazingly tough and it hurts, a lot. Find some locally and have a go at punching it or falling into it. You’ll get the idea. Grows quick as well. 3cm long thorns that seem as tough as barbed wire. Leaves with serrated edges.

dirtyboy

Gorse?

nick1962
    Free Member

Plant any of the aforementioned shrubs on the outside of your wall.
    Build up your wall as high as you can.
    Add some wooden trellises along the top of the wall on the outside and plant some more spiky plants in window boxes all along the top that will grow down the outside.
    Screw some of those cheesy pictorial “I live here” dog warning signs high up on the outside.

CountZero

Thought I’d resurrect this thread:

Try planting pyrocanthus instead, It’s like natural barbwire

Pyrocanthus doesn’t just act as a barbed-wire fence, and have berries for the birds in winter, for some reason this year the hedges either side of my front garden are a solid mass of white flowers, which the bees are all over, both honey bees and bumblebees, which I must say I’m thrilled to see!

Beats the chuff out of razor wire from an aesthetic point of view, if nothing else. 😀

slowoldgit
    Free Member

C-Z – and the berries to come later.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Razor wire at end of garden?’ is closed to new replies.