Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Ray Mears Northern Wilderness .
  • oldfart

Has been absolutely stunning and mesmerising .Well worth licence fee on its own .Just finished last programme.
    Highlight for me was watching innuits building the igloo .Spellbinding .
    Thats all !

crazy-legs

Agreed. Puts Bear Grylls to shame.
    The filming of it was stunning as well. I'd love to go to Canada!

carbon337
    Free Member

Life too – excellent!

If only the beeb did a Documentary Channel – its what they are best at IMO

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Agreed. I loved the episode about John Rae, the Orcadian who discovered the north west passage. Just finished reading a book about him.

liquid1000
    Free Member

I agree best thing on beeb for a long time, intelligently made and wonderful camera work, brought back some great memories

metalheart
    Free Member

Funny I find him too po faced and want to slap him.

somewhat spoils my appreciation…

halfbee
    Free Member

I needed more whittling and wild animal eating.

mikey74
    Free Member

Puts Bear Grylls to shame.

I think it is pointless comparing the two as their programmes are very different. I enjoy watching both of their programmes.

I too thought it was an amazing series, although I didn't manage to catch as much of it as I wanted.

I do, however, find Ray Mears a little conceited for his own good sometimes.

sodafarls
    Free Member

I have bear love for Ray.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

😀 @ sodafarls

Excellent series. Loved them all. I find it easy to compare him and BG – there's none at all. I do find it worrying how easily he gets out of breath though.

Raindog
    Free Member

I thought it was a bit too drawn out – how many times do we need to see the same sweeping shot of the BC coastline ? The whole series has felt a bit slow, compared to his previous stuff.

Maybe my telly attention span has got a bit short recently.

sodafarls
    Free Member

"I do find it worrying how easily he gets out of breath though."

I saw that too when he was sitting on the beach in B.C. with the pretty first nation conservationalist girl. I couldn't stop myself thinking that he was thinking, "she'd make a good wife", and he was getting a wee bit nervous about the whole thing.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"Ray Mears a little conceited"

eh? I've met him briefly. Ray's very confident in himself, but not conceited. His favourite colour is green BTW 😀

bigbloke
    Free Member

I have always enjoyed Ray's tv stuff, even when he started as a short bit in episodes of Tracks (if anyone remembers that?)….but i have to say he is a little tedious dare i say boring to listen to lately, don't know why but just is. Sorry Ray.

badnewz
    Free Member

Ray Mears is one of the few people who has made a career in television that I would want to have a beer with.

Innes
    Free Member

Sunday nights on the BBC have been great lately, Countryfile, Ray Mears and History of Scotland.

Quality TV.

CountZero

Fantastic series, amazing scenery, and I love Ray's quiet way of talking about things, without over dramatising it. The First Nations girl making the baskets was just lovely. I'm jealous of Ray's skills at making things, too. I'd love to do a wilderness course with him, very educational.

billyboulders
    Free Member

Yep great TV. Far better use of the license fee than alot of the BBC's output.
    I really like the new approach big Ray seems to have adopted too, he seems genuinely passionate about the stories of the explorers he has been presenting to us and seems to have done a great deal of research him-self, not just read from a script. Good stuff.

anagallis_arvensis

I thought it was pants, far too many shots were just the same ones used over and over and I couldnt quite work out what the point of the series was. I watched them all and its better than most of the shit on TV but I thought it lack clarity of purpose.

doug_basqueMTB.com

I love Ray Mears. It's funny though, I've met quite a few 'outdoor survival' types who knew him and they won't have his name mentioned in their presence.

I'll have to see if I can get the Northern Wilderness series on DVD.

beamers

I've not watched all of the last episode yet but I did see a couple of bits where he was on Mears Island.

Mrs B and I went there a couple of years ago and it is a truly stunning place.

I can't get enough of that BC Coastline.

Garry_Lager

It was a great show. I'd love to sit down with Ray for a pie, chips and pizza. Maybe a couple of large cokes. How do they get the catering van out to these remote locations?

noteeth
    Free Member

Excellent series. Really enjoyed it.

Boards of Canada briefly featured in the soundtrack – they had to be included, I guess. 😀

NigE5
    Free Member

I agree with rain dog they were to drawn out I gave up watching them.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I've met quite a few 'outdoor survival' types who knew him and they won't have his name mentioned in their presence"

Envy? They might see him as a sell-out because he's successfully translated "outdoor survival" into popular TV. But really Ray is more interested in wilderness technology and culture than macho military survival techniques.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Ray Mears Northern Wilderness .’ is closed to new replies.