Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)
  • Drama near Hayfield today! (feat. helicopter)
  • fizzer
    Free Member

Birdie I can catorgorically state that Julia did NOT step back into utter nobber rubbernecker, he hit JP first before JP knocked her onto me. So stop making excuses for shite riding.

In response to the qualified First Aider comments, I am indeed fully qualified but there is not much a First Aider can do in a situation like that other than make him safe, as comfortable as possible and alert the emergency services. I must admit it was very gratifying that said emergency services commented on how well we'd looked after him.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

yes, they said the inner tube sling was so good they wouldn't disturb it 🙂

Reminds me of the time I went down Jacobs Ladder as part of a night ride in December.

No problems – then I face planted a rock on the flat bit just before the farm at Upper Booth.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

wow, Jacob's night ride – bring it ON! :o)

sharki
    Free Member

Looks like a separated shoulder / torn ACJ, i collapsed my lung when i did mine, it's not pleasant.

Top marks team for doing your bit, he's a lucky lad having so many passers by willing to help.

It always astounds me when an incident has occurred and some people haven't the simple manners to stop and make sure all is being dealt with and no further assistance is needed.

pennine
    Free Member

The last time JP attended an injured rider on Jacob's Ladder he, and Glen, ended up pushing the guy's bike back to Hayfield.

jsp0161
    Free Member

All good having a organisers contact number but a contact number in case of emergency would be of more use.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

This from Ben, another witness:
    "Julia did not walk backwards the guy was falling off before julia was crouched down and tried to move out of his way and Graham took the full force as the numpty planted his palm is his chest and shoved him into the fence."

Coleman
    Free Member

Top marks for helping this unfortunate guy today, hope he makes a speedy recovery.
    However, I am sorry to say, that I find it most distasteful that you feel the need to post photos of this guys predicament on a forum.

fizzer
    Free Member

SFB – correct

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

that I find it most distasteful that you feel the need to post photos of this guys predicament on a forum.

He asked how soon he could have the shots for his Facebook page :o) This is what I always do unless the subject objects. It's called reportage. I've posted some 35,000 photos on our website over the past 7 years and had about a dozen take down requests, the most common reason being "My bum looks too big in that" :o)

snowslave

good work boggies! 🙂

fizzer
    Free Member

snowslave – thanks

fizzer
    Free Member

Simon I think Julia may have his surname so I if I can get it I will request friend on facebook you can then send pics

RichPenny
    Free Member

make him safe, as comfortable as possible and alert the emergency services

Agreed, not expecting people to take scrubs, a hacksaw and scalpel out on a ride! Sorry if my comments came across as critical of your actions, that wasn't my intention at all. Just wanted to point out that first aid training is great, and often paid for by your employer 🙂

fizzer
    Free Member

No worries mate and my training was indeed paid for by my employer. I'm glad it came in useful even if it was to little effect.

Coleman
    Free Member

"He asked how soon he could have the shots for his Facebook page"

Not quite the same thing as putting them on an open forum methinks!

fizzer
    Free Member

"Not quite the same thing as putting them on an open forum methinks"

there's always one…

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Not quite the same thing as putting them on an open forum methinks!

well, we shall see – if Chris objects once he's online again I shall apologise… but I can't help feeling he'll have more immediate matters that concern him far more!

mybike
    Free Member

Good work Boggers, does 'Chris' look like David Walliams ?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

does 'Chris' look like David Walliams ?

I didn't get that impression. I did wonder when he stood up if I'd have slagged off his riding ability if I'd known he was so big – briefly :o)

simonralli2
    Free Member

Would it be terribly wrong to say I am not in the least interested in the chap – to be honest he isn't going to be losing sleep tonight over my mashed up knee. All I am really interested in is pics of Julie and the nurse. Is that really out of order?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Is that really out of order?

grumpy tonight Simon ? If you're not interested then look away. I'm interested beause I sat next to him for an hour while he suffered considerable pain without complaint. I'm not much for empathy myself, but people have been very kind to me in the past when I've injured myself, so I wanted to return the favour.

Post us a pic of your poorly knee and we'll say diddums 🙂

simonralli2
    Free Member

Not grumpy just a bit trashed after a night out in Dumfries with Trekster 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

just a bit trashed after a night out in Dumfries with Trekster

and you fell over pissed and hurt yourself ?

simonralli2
    Free Member

That was at Kirroughtree and not alcohol related 🙂

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

That was at Kirroughtree

you have my sympathies – the Seven Stanes are a bit pish :o)

simonralli2
    Free Member

As opposed to England where people who have a minor off on a piece of uber-flat double-track bridleway and need a helicopter 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I said you was grumpy…

brakes
    Free Member

why was a helicopter necessary?
    I had a similar injury and walked back to the car and drove to A&E

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

why was a helicopter necessary?

I have no idea who made the decision. Mountain rescue arrived only minutes after the copter. The heli crew said something about wanting trip out on a nice day. As for walking out, it's hard to assess someone else's pain – when I broke my collar bone there was no pain at all till I arrived in A&E 2 hours later and passed out. Chris said 9/10 where 10 is the worst pain ever, and looked very shaken. I believe in that state his motor insurance would have been void. And he was parked 10 miles away in Hope.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Sorry to spoil this group hug but was an air ambulance really necessary. He looks and sounds (to my army training) like walking wounded.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Sorry to spoil this group hug but was an air ambulance really necessary

to reiterate, no one ask for an air ambulance – and the only person with a first aid qualification deemed it best for him not to move. Had people been shooting at us we would helped him to shelter. Perhaps next time I should tell a fallen rider to man up and sort himself out ? Oh and to stop blocking the trail for the busy racers ? I shall of course look into billing him for the hour of our time he thoughtlessly wasted…

Jenga
    Free Member

Coleman – Member
    Top marks for helping this unfortunate guy today, hope he makes a speedy recovery.
    However, I am sorry to say, that I find it most distasteful that you feel the need to post photos of this guys predicament on a forum.

Suspect that a lot of it is to do with SFB wanting to be the centre of attention – again.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

Suspect that a lot of it is to do with SFB wanting to be the centre of attention

and there was me thinking I played a minor bit part…

birdie
    Free Member

Look this perhaps isn't the place to have this discussion. Firstly I'm completely neutral in this – I don't know the guys who stopped and I don't know the "nobber" who I was following. What I saw was the lady crouching down. She had her back to the trail. She extended a leg into the trail and moved her weight over it and began to sidle down to the injured party. Thats when the crash happened. And I did stop to offer sympathies to the injured fella.

JohnnyPanic

Well done to everyone involved in helping this bloke out. I was doing the same charity event but was about half a mile back up the hill when we heard the chopper take off. I hope that if I'm ever in need of assistance it is as abley and as unselfishly provided.

I just don't understand those who harp on about 'surely not a case for the air ambulance'. It's not the decsison of those on the ground until MR or paramedics get involved. And for those who maintain that line – if you're ever unfortunate enough to be in a similar situation I imagine your principles would go straight out the window when the pain hits you.

Oh, and SFB, good pics 🙂

Interestingly, at the start of the event The worlds biggest MTB rider went past me. He blotted out the sun as he went past and when I looked across to see why it had gone dark, my head was level with his waist. He was riding the biggest Spesh (?) I've ever seen. Wonder if it was the same bloke?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

No, his bike was a carbon Scott Genius

and as unselfishly provided

well apparently not so unselfish as I merely used it as a vehicle for self promotion 🙁

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I emailed the secretary of Kinder mountain rescue to thank his team for their help, and he said:

"When there's an incident in a Mountain Rescue Team's patch it is usual to turn out the Team even if an air ambulance is on the way for a number of reasons. For example there is no guarantee that the helicopter will find a suitable landing site and/or there may be a need to carry the casualty to the helicopter's chosen landing site."

plumber
    Free Member

SFB,

Wheres the 'hot' nurse?

Plum

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 134 total)

The topic ‘Drama near Hayfield today! (feat. helicopter)’ is closed to new replies.