• This topic has 36 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Raw onion
  • orangespyderman

I am a huge fan of onion. I like cooked onion, but lots of people do. What tends to surprise people is the fact that I’ll happily nibble scoff raw onion. When cooking and chopping onions I’ll generally need at least an extra one because of all I’ll eat while I’m chopping it.

Anyone else? Should I be worried. Apart from the obvious effect on my breath…

Drac

I didn’t realise it was unusual.

Corned beef and onion sandwich anyone?

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤮

trail_rat
    Free Member

I do the same with garlic.

I’ll happily munch on a clove or two.

Fresher the better.

Kept the mozzies and gas cookers away in Nigeria and equatorial Africa.

escrs
    Free Member

Love raw onion, has to be white though, not a fan of red onion

Kryton57

Cheese and (raw) onion sandwich, obvs…

Kryton57

Drac, you should try mashing onion into the corned beef with a healthy dose of English mustard included. Yum.

Drac

Drac, you should try mashing onion into the corned beef with a healthy dose of English mustard included. Yum.

Oh yes another favourite as is the cheese and onion.

I wonder if cheese and onion crisps could become popular?

Onion salad anyone?

handybar
    Free Member

Love raw onion, problem is it repeats on me for a good 24 hours.

simondbarnes

Raw onion is lovely

slowoldman

Classic German supper snack – pumpernickel bread topped with sliced tomato, diced onion or shallot, lots of ground black pepper. Sublime.

Yak

Yeah I eat raw white onion. Just munch it like an apple. Good for sorting hayfever too.

eulach

I prefer mine green

rone

Love it. But instant indigestion.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Corned beef and onion sandwich anyone?

Pervert.

Corned beef requires pickled beetroot.

Any fule no dat.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Weirdo !

Pickled red cabbage

tjagain

weirdo its tommy sauce!

Drac

Oooh good call be ages since I had one of those.

Tomato sauce is what kids put on food as to hide the taste.

timidwheeler

Corned beef requires pickled onion Monster Munch.

tjagain

corn beef is the only thing I put red sauce on! Its a match made in heaven.

revs1972
    Free Member

Love raw onion , with cheese in a sarnie.
    Can’t stand it when it cooked though, at all. If it’s in gravy, I’ll have to pick it out

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Corned beef and HP sauce for me. But happy to try the beetroot and/or Monster Munch and/or Ketchup combinations 🙂

WillH

Corned beef sandwiches need Branston Pickle (the original chunky kind), fact.

On the onion front, I love cooked onions and pickled onions and don’t mind raw onion at the time of eating. However, with raw onion I get the taste stuck in my mouth for hours afterwards, which is minging. So now you know.

My 7yo son will happily nick raw onion off the chopping board and eat it, but refuses to eat it raw or cooked as part of a meal. Bloody kids!

footflaps

+1 for raw onion. Wife hates it though…

BillMC

With breakfast every morning for half the week and in cheese sarnies the other half. Radical.
    Plus lightly microwaved home-grown garlic after the pub. ‘Dragon’s breath’ doesn’t quite do it. It can also help produce some really squealing Olympic-standard emissions. YMMV.

tnrbilly
    Free Member

Had a lush cheese and (raw) onion roll with a pint of cider in the pub yesterday.
    You can tell it was a good one, by the fact I can still taste it now…

DezB
    Free Member

Raw onion’s great if you don’t want to taste anything else for the rest of the week. Yeuch.

pocpoc
    Free Member

Though I was going to be the only one not liking it for a moment there!
    It’s fine cooked, but raw? Nah, I’d rather not taste onion for the rest of the day. Even after eating something else hours later it still comes back.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Red onion is fine raw. I stick it in salads. Otherwise cooked or pickled for me.

Sui
    Free Member

Onion is great, much is garlic. Having half the household as Itlaians means there’s lots of Pasta, Onion and Garlic around, 2 big favs;

Bruscetta with tomato, chopped with large helping of Garlic and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper swamped in olive oil. stink for days after this..

and Pasta olio – which is just shed loads of onions, sweated down in olive oil, pinch of salt and then turfed in with pasta – quite a sweet dish, but lovely. again wil make you stink for a day or so after.

Drac

Bruscetta with tomato, chopped with large helping of Garlic and onion, seasoned with salt and pepper swamped in olive oil. stink for days after this..

orangespyderman

My most memorable encounter with garlic was at a lovely seafood restaurant in the south of France. On the first Thursday (? not sure, was a long time ago) they used to do fresh seafood platter, boiled potatoes and a large stone mortar (literally about the size of a wine cooler bucket) filled with freshly made aioli. Having failed to get a table the previous month my wife and I booked up and filled our boots so to speak. The seafood was delicious but the aioli was so absolutely lovely that even just on the boiled potatoes it was fab.

I don’t think we (quite) finished the bucket sized mortar, but we gave it our best shot. For several days after the whole house stank of garlic, our mouths stank of garlic (brushing my teeth just made a sort of minty garlic paste) and because it was summer in the south of France we basically were sweating garlic juice. It was awful, but the meal itself is still a very, very good memory.

bob_summers

Love it, but eating it like an apple is pretty hardcore and I do like to suffer with stuff like chile, garlic…

zippykona

Corned Beef needs to be drowned in salad cream.

As an aside why does corned beef cost more than beef?

Drac

Where are you buying beef that’s cheaper than corned?

zippykona

Sainsburys.

Drac

It’s less that about £7 a Kg?

I think a tin is 300g but not sure.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Raw onion’ is closed to new replies.