Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Rockhopper
    Free Member

Can anyone with the latest version tell me if its able to run two 2tb portable had drives? My current one (not sure of the version but its very old) doesn’t seen to be able to, the drive just clicks away to itself so i think the USB port can’t supply enough current.

gobuchul
    Free Member

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/faqs/#pi-power

You can also use a powered USB hub.

Superficial
    Free Member

In my v limited experience of Raspberry Pi, power is a real irritation and can cause loads of unintended bugs (on mine, the onboard NIC wasn’t working, fixed with a shorter (and thicker) power cable). So I wouldn’t recommend any setup that could feasibly stress the power circuitry.

A powered USB hub seems like a good idea.

zilog6128

Pi 4 has max combined output of 1.2A, so you’d probably get away with powering a single external HDD. Other Pis probably similar, can’t be bothered to google the specs for you though. 😃

As mentioned tho, the 4 is VERY picky about power so definitely best to power higher draw stuff externally rather than via USB.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

I have tried a powered USB hub but it doesn’t seem to work – I assumed the Raspberry Pi wasn’t able to load a driver for it? Not sure if it needs one?

zilog6128

I have tried a powered USB hub but it doesn’t seem to work – I assumed the Raspberry Pi wasn’t able to load a driver for it? Not sure if it needs one?

Don’t really understand what you’re trying to do, can’t you use a cable similar to this so that you can both connect the drive to the Pi AND and auxiliary power source via USB?
    https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/usb-cables/1932848?cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_UK_EN_Cables+%26+Wires_Whoop-_-USB+Cables_Whoop-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&pla-301254307811&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-Nuzz-uw6AIVBPhRCh1KvgrgEAQYAyABEgKMw_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Raspberry Pi’ is closed to new replies.