Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)
  • Rare bikes
  • jupiter
    Free Member

Rare bikes you would like to either have or at least have a go on. For me any WTB Phoenix or Bon Tempe (anyone got a pic of a Bon Tempe?). Also Spooky, and a Jones to see what all the fuss is about. Any other suggestions?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Slingshot Farmboy….

clubber
    Free Member

Ibis BowTi – always fancied a go just to see how effective the suspension was and whether it was noodly or not.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

That is Flippin' horrible.

psychle
    Free Member

the BowTi is a thing of legend… if I could find one (and could afford it!) I'd have it in a flash 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

The Bow Ti looked nicer in real life I reckon but yeah, it was never going to win a prize for its looks. Would still have liked to have tried one though.

Just thought of another – the Gary Fisher CR7 – aluminium front triangle with a steel rear triangle bolted on – supposedly the benefits of steel (springy rear end) with the benefits of alu (stiff front triangle). I'm not convinced and I know a lot of them broke at the bolts that held them together but I'd have like to have tried it.

http://www.firstflightbikes.com/RedCR7.html

Tim
    Free Member

Slingshots – any of them 🙂

crazy-legs

Another vote for the Sligshot, I loved the look of them!
    That Bow Ti – BOING BOING BOING!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Trimble.

njee20
    Free Member

I saw a Bow Ti riding through Trafalgar Square a few months back, it looked awful, it was decked out in bright blue stuff including mag wheels (IIRC) and totally blue tyres. How to make an ugly bike truly hideous!

Still like to try one though!

paulosoxo
    Free Member

There's a slingshot kicking about Sunderland, looks ace

cynic-al
    Free Member

ti-pin-man has a bow-ti and likes it.

CR7 for me, or any mantis – they allegedly had "mythological ride qualities" for the reasons clubber gave – probably best not to ride one as I bet they weren't anything that special!

Would like to see if a Jones is worthy of the hype.

I always wanted an Ibis mojo (the original steel one)…I got one and didn't like it!

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Nishiki Alien in green for me please. That and a Yeti Ultimate (why oh why did I sell that?).

jond
    Free Member

FWIW I saw an Alien – in green too – locked up in Godalming a few weeks back…

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Cool, I thought they'd all be dead by now.

Sam

That Fisher is 'just' a mass production Mantis no? Personally I'd rather have something from Charlie not Richie – proper WTB Phoenix as per the OP, maybe I'll talk him into it some day… I'd quite fancy an old Ritchey P-22 as well to fulfil the bike lust of my youth.

easygroove
    Free Member

A 1992 Wicked Fat chance
    Wicked Fat Chance

vinnyeh

Just thought of another – the Gary Fisher CR7 – aluminium front triangle with a steel rear triangle bolted on – supposedly the benefits of steel (springy rear end) with the benefits of alu (stiff front triangle). I'm not convinced and I know a lot of them broke at the bolts that held them together but I'd have like to have tried it.

I had one of those back in the day- earlier than the one pictured, rigid forks. It replaced a Cannondale 3.0 series, and the difference was night and day- the Fisher (in my memories, at least) was nimble and agile compared to the 'dale, and far more compliant with steel forks and rear triangle. Not too sure how it's feel today though…
    Replaced it with an early white Alien when it was stolen, and that felt like it had the wheelbase of a stretch limo, with similar handling. Funnily enough I thought that it was a good bike for getting out into the hills on, where we didn't have much in the way of made trails.

mt
    Free Member

How many Pace RC200s are there still around. Captainflash – do you remember the strippy yellow/orange black trimble. Was at the Man V Horse on year and some guy had one, it was to die for.

jupiter
    Free Member

Slingshot would be nice, and how could I forget, Bridgestone XO and a top of the range Moulton.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Jeez those paces were minging.

I worked on an Alien once. Impossible for the front mech not to rub on the tyre.

DezB
    Free Member

Santa Cruz Tazmon

singlespeedstu

I'd love a go on a BowTi just to see what they were like.

Out of the bikes already mentioned i've tried the RC200, Trimble,CR7, a few Fat Chances and three Jones's

BTW the Trimble didn't last very long before it broke in half. 😯

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Has anyone got a Kona HOT? The one with the Tange Prestige fluted downtube ?

younggeoff

Used to have a fully polished Tazmon, was an ace bike, not the lightest thing out, I'll try and get photo's of it posted up

younggeoff

Still got a 95 yoeddy, only comes out on sunny days, absolute joy to ride and goes up hills like a scalded cat.

DezB
    Free Member

Please younggeoff. I need some stress relief 😉

Drapoon
    Free Member

I have a 94' Explosif with the Tange Prestige fluted downtube 🙂

I will never part with it , steel is real!

jimster
    Free Member

Always fancied a Fuquay.

racefaceec90

pre trek klein attitude,purple linear paint job.must have the huge ridged forks!!!awesome!!!

nickc

Rode a slingshot, it was bike-like boringly enough. it could get get a bit out of shape if you flung it about, surprisingly enough the biggest issue about it was that it weighed loads…

Rode an early-ish Explosif and it was dull. wanted so much to like it as well.

rob1984p
    Free Member

Honda RN01 would make me even less productive than I already am; i'd just stare at it for hours!!

whytetrash

Jimster…got a 1991/2 Fuquay that I've had from new it's great..literally staring at it an hour ago deciding what colour I'm getting it sprayed, gonna be a very old skool build got Grafton cranks, xt thumbies Nukeproof screw on rear hub mavic 231 ceramics, White ind front hub just need some old rigid forks to replace the pace rc 37's and some nice old canti's and it'l be ready to start.

Had an old P22 that was sublime to ride but the Columbus Max tubing on the Fuquay feels nicer.

Frisky
    Free Member

Intense Tracer gets my vote.

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Box at Bad Ass Bikes has got a WTB Bon Tempe – makes me want to mug him when i see it (but i wont for obvious reasons).
    It has a huge seatpost – both girth and length….. i'm jealous

Dougal
    Free Member

MSC Koncept Carbon, only five in the UK.

crazy-legs

I've only ever seen 2 other Saracen Kili Ultra Ti. One at a National Champs in Nannerch (North Wales) in the mid nineties. One that belonged to Mike 'Jesus Jones' Edwards but he sold his and bought a Kona Hei Hei.

I've still got my Kili Ultra. It comes out occasionally for really muddy 24hr races – 1.7" mud tyres, full rigid, 20lb and I can overtake any full suss! 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

CL, pics please….!

peasnotwar
    Free Member

Apparently the only thing rarer than a WTB Bon tempe is a photo of one!
    Anyone got one?

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I know the geometry of the Haro Mary was heavily influenced by the WTB Pheonix and the OS Bikes Blackbuck too (and Mark Slate is making some more in a smaller size soon too)

Bon Tempes are really rare, a customer of mine had (and might still have) one. Really nice bit of kit.

Pic of Bontempe here; http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=261724&highlight=bontempe

SSP

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 87 total)

The topic ‘Rare bikes’ is closed to new replies.