Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Random motorcycle question – brake disc sizes – 280mm required – what bike?
  • Speeder

Here’s one for the “STW hive mind” as I’m a little stumped.

I’m working on a small project and I need some floating motorcycle discs of 280mm diameter – unfortunately discs are sold as fitting a make and model rather than as a size as all the offsets are different depending on fitment.

I’m not bothered about using the carrier as I’ll get a carrier made to suit my hubs, all I want is the disc part and the buttons.

I’d approach some manufacturers but I get the feeling it may be something they’re not keen to do. I just want to just go out and buy some replacement discs for bike that uses this size without getting into long drawn out conversations with a manufacturer where they may decline to sell me some on safety grounds.

The question then is, are there any motorcycles that take a 280mm disc as standard? Floating is an advantage but not compulsory if I can get an aftermarket version that is.

Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Gaz

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Try calling all bike engineering in London. They manufacture aftermarket and custom discs so would probably be able to give you some idea of what uses that size disc.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Loads do pre 1998’ish BUT trust me it will be a lot easier if you tell us what Fork/hubs you are using
    Starting to mess with custom carriers is a lot harder than you think – why do you think even the big boys in MGP/WSB/BSB go to Brembo-/AP/Accosato

almightydutch
    Free Member

Do they have to be 280mm? Its a bit small for most bikes I know and a quick google confirms this. Finding 280mm ‘supermoto’ discs quite easily but they aren’t cheap….alternative is a Piaggio scooter claiming 280mm too

dave-c
    Free Member

The EBC catalogue lists diameters of each disc on page 594, any good? I don’t know if the standard ones would be the same diameter or not though.

http://www.ebcbrakes.com/assets/ecatalogues/2013-intl-mc/2013-intl-mc-catalogue.html#p=594

Speeder

The trouble is it’s not for a bike so taking something off the shelf won’t work. It’s just something that could get away with bike sizes rotors and the size is dictated by having to clear other components. I’d like to go to a more standard 296mm diameter but it’s going to interfere with something if we do.

Cheers for the link to ABE nmrn – I’d been looking for someone to make a custom set but google didn’t really bring anything up. Have just called but they’re rather predictably given the time of year, not answering. Hopefully they’ll be able to do something on Thursday.

Oh and the other thing is that if I’m buying off the shelf, they’d need to be buttoned rather than riveted as I’ll have to pull them apart to make the new carriers unless I can get a big enough mounting circle so that I can make an adapter to fit. It’s one of those situations where you need a large amount of options in front of you so you can make an informed decision or just get it custom made.

Cheers

Gaz

hammyuk
    Free Member

This is where knowing what hubs you have comes in!
    Kawasaki are almost all ZERO offset, Suzuki 10mm, Honda 8 or 12mm, etc.

br
    Free Member

can’t you use car discs, as they’ll be loads cheaper?

Speeder

This is where knowing what hubs you have comes in!
    Kawasaki are almost all ZERO offset, Suzuki 10mm, Honda 8 or 12mm, etc.

Thanks hammy – it’s interesting about the Kawasaki being almost zero as they look favourite anyway as the 2003 ZX6R rotors are 280mm after a bit of reverse research. Could be a winner. Don’t suppose you’d know if they use a common mounting PCD (to the wheel) and if so what it would be?

can’t you use car discs, as they’ll be loads cheaper?

I could but they’d also be 4X as heavy and weight is king on this project.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

Was going to post about the zx6 ones as I had one!

CNN also recommend the associated calipers with SBS carbon matrix pads if it’s for a track based project. The bike used to stop on a sixpence with that setup!

Edit: just remember to get some hear in the pads first though otherwise you’ll scare yourself by not stopping!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Random motorcycle question – brake disc sizes – 280mm required – what bike?’ is closed to new replies.