Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)
  • Ramsbottom Turbine Ride #2
  • lipseal
    Free Member

You should have said

hora
    Free Member

Good with cum I bet 😉

binners

Its going to be bloody wet up there! I’ve been considering building an ark today.

You could spend Saturday setting up the geometry on your Five Spot Hora. It may end up showing up the deficiencies in your forks though 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

have my kids this weekend so that is me out 😥

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Route-wise I thought the rake > tower > up over Holcombe > Pilgrims cross > descent through the woods to Irwell Vale up the bridleway from Edenfield to the coal road > turbines then the height-of-cheek ahem…. ‘singletrack’ (sssssssshhhhhhhh) from the top down to finish on the rocky descent that spits you out at the Rammy traffic lights, then finish on the ‘Steps of Doom’. RIding them is optional. I’ll be at the bottom with the camera to capture the ensuing chaos. It can’t possibly beat Plumbers somewhat catastrophic front wheel failure last time

there is an alternative “not so doom” footpath with some interesting small drops that bypasses the “steps of doom” and is 80% rideable at the top of that section

if you are prepared to push for 40yds take the Rossendale Way sign on the way to the Coal Rd push 40yds over stile turn right start riding obvious track (somewhat boggy at the start) better than dicing with the traffic and the gradient at start of the Coal Rd

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Irwell Vale?

Say ‘hi’ as you go past my house.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binners lad – where’re we meeting? Should I bring some fags? How much is a pint of anvil’s snaffleclog? Deffo on then?

lipseal
    Free Member

I hope it’s on, I’ve got me pass sorted. 😕

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

so in summary it’s 9:30 for a 10:00 start on saturday, meeting at the irwell works brewery?

please note, the neighbouring morrisons car park has a traffic warden on duty all the time and he will get you. If u get stuck for parking, it’s free by the station or in aldi. Re the former, make sure you park correctly in the bay (ie: no tyres on the line), or they charge you £60 for that as well.

Aristotle
    Free Member

I might well be up for this if I can shirk my household responsibilities.

I’m assuming that, unlike down in the lowlands, the weather is dry and glorious up there at the moment and that the trails will be dusty on Saturday?

Harry_the_Spider

better than dicing with the gradient at start of the Coal Rd

Stop being a big Susan. The Coal Road, The Rake, The Steps of Doom etc are what makes us the cycling Tyrannosaurs that we are. GRRR.

If you can’t stand the heat take up ping-pong. 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Stop being a big Susan. The Coal Road, The Rake, The Steps of Doom etc are what makes us the cycling Tyrannosaurs that we are. GRRR.

If you can’t stand the heat take up ping-pong.

give me an eta for you at the steps of doom and I’ll make sure ‘ve got the video camera ready

better than dicing with the traffic and the gradient at start of the Coal Rd

hmmmm my option is a short push and then a off road trail, your option is an A road and a hardened track, GRRRRR to the power of Rad eh!

se you at bridge club, ping pong is too gnarcore for us 😉

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

sounds pretty much like my local loop.

you have gotta do Buckden woods tho, theyre not to be missed!

big_n_daft
    Free Member

you have gotta do Buckden woods tho, theyre not to be missed

1. you obviously haven’t read the route description

2. naming a National Trust wood with a footpath that’s popular with walkers as a cheeky trail is the way forward to manage user conflict 😉

binners

Houston. We have a problem.

Due to harry being unable to get kid-minding relief, the baton was handed to me

Unfortunately I’ve just had my child-minding service go AWOL as well. I’ve now got my little blighters all day Saturday. Really sorry folks.

Do we have anyone who can step in and pick up the baton where it has been casually discarded by its previous two owners. If its any consolation, You won’t be sat around at the top of every climb waiting for the idiot who’s meant to be showing you where you’re going

Sorry 🙁

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

FAO ScottChegg

whats it like living in Irwell Vale? i always remark how much i like there when im riding through. however i have concerns about the local sewage works, the lack of any shops, the access and most importantly no pub!?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’d worry more about living on a flood plain and the issues about the bridges (unless they have been fully resolved)

then the shops, the pub, etc 😉

hora
    Free Member

I’m planning on riding the Kinder Circuit with the little Hayfield descent sewn into the loop if anyone is interested?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

THIS RIDE IS POSTPONED

UNTIL 10:30, WHEELS ROLLING AT 10:45

I have spent 50,000,000 brownies points to get out with an “open” pass

weather will not stop the ride

leaders pace will be slow and wheezing uphill and mincing downhill, route will be based on that discussed in main thread with adaptations for the weather (ie no hike-a-bike or soaking wet roots)

happy to follow someone else with better idea’s 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

I’ll help you spend some of them brownie points, count me in. 🙂

GRAEMEJONES

I’ll be there, chocolatey goodies will be made on Friday.

robgarrioch

Unlikely I’ll be along now, seems I spend too much time getting away from baby as it is (an hour every 3 weeks…)

Wave if you see a depressed lanky scot with a baby strapped to his chest leaving Mannings bakery with an armful of raspberry buns!

lipseal
    Free Member

You’ll get mugged if you have rasberry buns on yeah. 😉

Brycey
    Free Member

depressed lanky scot with a baby strapped to his chest

That’s me that is. I didn’t even get as far as saying I would come.

binners

All of us who can’t go due to childcare duties should meet up for raspberry buns and a moan.

I’m thinking of taking the girls out for a ride on their bikes to coincide with this mob arriving at the pub

Harry_the_Spider

I may be able to get there for 10:30 with the kids. We may go and look at some steam trains too.

Papa_Lazarou
    Free Member

So 10.30 at the micro brewery.

binners

I’ll aim to be down there for 10.30 with the girls.

Harry – The Chocolate Cafe is always a winner with the kids. As you can imagine from the name, it tends to cater to their every need. First steam trains in Bury direction are just after midday

Harry_the_Spider

Kid #2 is diabetic, so no chocolate between meals. Don’t know what we’re doing yet TBH.

I’ll email you on Friday when i’ve seen the weather forecast. Perhaps we could go to the swings. With kids.

binners

Just give us a shout on Friday mate. Plenty to keep the little blighters out of trouble.

sefton
    Free Member
    plumber
    Free Member

I will be there and am quite happy to lead if nobody else wants too

Plum

There will be steps of doom thought – I gonna get those **** this time 🙂

big_n_daft
    Free Member

There will be steps of doom thought – I gonna get those **** this time

please wait for me to get to the bottom to video it 😉

lipseal
    Free Member

Any chance of a picture of these steps, or is it a surprise? 😐

johnnywc
    Free Member

I will be there, as new to Rammy, looking forward to the leg stretch.
    only managed a few wet, ahem,road rides so far.

Although as a Yorkshireman I’m a little concerned about Lancashire black puddings flying around the place on Saturday.

http://www.ramsbottomonline.com/news/the-world-black-pudding-throwing-championship-2011/

johnnywc
    Free Member

Ohhh..thankfully that’s on the Sunday..I’ll be laying low.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Although as a Yorkshireman

you’ll be buying beer for everyone in the brewery post ride? 😉

to help you adjust to life on the best side of the pennines the “Wayward Tyke” chippy does a battered black pudding which is an experience!

johnnywc
    Free Member

I bet it is!

As for pints, unfortunately I think I might be wearing my yorkshire shorts, the pockets are sewn up, of course that’s for aerodynamics 😉

nbt

Looking unlikely that we’re going to make this now, mrs nbt’s off colour and probably not fit for a full ride.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Weather forecast “sunny intervals” as it stands atm.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Ramsbottom Turbine Ride #2’ is closed to new replies.