Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)
  • Rampage? Tomorrow?
  • snotrag

Well that might be the winning run! Incredible!

marksnook
    Free Member

Semunuk is so smooth it almost takes away from how ridiculous his run was

sharkattack

Nice to see Semenuk nail his run. He’s blown up in the past when he’s committed to crazy technical stuff.

Northwind

Semenuk looked briefly human in run 1, right back to being an uncanny laser guided biking robot for run 2

leffeboy

beautiful.  looked so complete

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Weeksy does your son ride I had no idea! 😜😬

leffeboy

loving the shove your phone in your back pocket then do a huge run like that.  yoof

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Steeze. That was sick!

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Jaxson haha even the name spelling

sharkattack

That was a mint run from Riddle. Big freestyle MX tricks.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

2nd place wtf

Northwind

Norris’s tongue!

weeksy

I don’t understand the scoring as I never do each year.

I accept Semanuk was top, sure, but the rest is a mystery

rOcKeTdOg

That sounds awesome Dog…. that’s actually a really cool idea.

Screenshot_20211015-211906

sharkattack

#jaxsongotrobbed

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Well I enjoyed that . Too many flips on the dancefloor at the end I thought. Off for a redbull now. Fancy one @copa ?

bigdaddy

Inclined to agree @sharkattack , no idea how the scoring works but Jaxson’s run seemed way better, with new tricks and a FMX feel, very surprised he’s not even in the top 5!

marksnook
    Free Member

I thought semenuk deserved the win, Boggs and riddle were top after that for me, each for different reasons!

wordnumb
    Free Member

Yup, but I thought the scoring was more consistent this year than it has been previously. Would’ve been interesting to see how Van Steenbergen was scored for landing the front flip. Hope he’s okay.

sharkattack

Semenuk is a worthy winner but below that the points were all over the place. Can’t believe how far down the order Jaxson dropped. It’s like the judges were only scoring flips. I’m a bit bored of seeing straight flip after straight flip. It was nice to see a bit of flair.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Personally I think scoring of all things slope style, BMX, real MTB are so impossible.

To me there is alpha, beta, gamma catagory where you can sat this group of 2-3 or riders was broadly better than this group of 2-3 riders but beyond that it becomes a task of trying to come up with a scoring system that inevitably misses aspects for every aspect it trys to gain.

The public want a “winner” though!

colournoise

Riddle wins within the next three years?

Reminded me (in spirit, not style) of Lacondeguy’s winning run a few year’s back – just do your own thing even if it’s not the accepted Rampage stuff. Brilliant, fresh riding.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Van Steenbergen was scored for landing the front flip. Hope he’s okay.

Some press Ret out about both hip sockets broken, top of fema, and a vertibra. Sounds horrific to be honest and possibly life changing. Fingers crossed though.

Do redbull provide healthcare insurance for all entries over the event, or is it a requirement of entry? Sure hope so but heard something a couple of years ago about some people without insurance.

kimbers

Semenuk seemed pretty unexcited by his win

It felt like van steenburgens crash had them all worried

Fortunately He seems like he’ll make a recovery, but these aren’t minor injuries

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/tom-van-steenbergen-broke-hip-sockets-into-multiple-pieces-femur-lower-vertebrae-and-shoulder-in-red-bull-rampage-crash.html

kimbers

Do redbull provide healthcare insurance for all entries over the event, or is it a requirement of entry? Sure hope so but heard something a couple of years ago about some people without insurance

This is an amazing and harrowing documentary about what happened to Paul Basagoitia broke his spine at rampage

American healthcare being what it is, insurance & his sponsors looked after him but the injuries were life changing and the money ran out eventually

Gets a bit dusty in the room when u watch it

Any One Of Us: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p08q6jh8 via @bbciplayer

thebunk

Sure, the riders are doing what they love, and they’d be doing it anyway, but once you plaster your logo all over their terrain and clothes, you’re getting them to sell your product by literally risking their necks. Must be harder to back out of a run when you know there’s a global audience watching.

Feels like exploitation to me.

I’d feel way more comfortable about this event if they were upfront about what commercial and safety arrangements each of the riders has (plus all of the insurance and aftercare). At least with F1 you know the drivers are all insanely rich, and they bang on about safety all the time.

dc1988

Should we, as the people watching and enjoying the event, pay something towards it to go towards the riders. I know Red Bull are a big company but extreme sports fans get an awful lot of top quality free content from them with very little advertising (I know they have RB banners everywhere but they don’t seem to spend any time actively advertising their drink). Rampage has felt a little strange for me this year, so many big injuries just in practice. I don’t enjoy it any more than the DH World Cup but the risk Vs reward for Rampage seems a bit unbalanced in comparison.

chrismac

So the show was won by a guy doing spinny flippy things on a man made track wearing the event sponsor helmet. I really struggle to see how any of it has anything to do with progressing the sport of mountain biking.

sharkattack

So the show was won by a guy doing spinny flippy things on a man made track wearing the event sponsor helmet.

You could quit your job and train every day with the world’s best coaches and facilities, Red Bull could literally rain money on you, and you could never, ever do those spinny flippy things on that track.

If belittling the efforts of one of the sports best ever riders make you feel better crack on.

weeksy

So the show was won by a guy doing spinny flippy things on a man made track wearing the event sponsor helmet. I really struggle to see how any of it has anything to do with progressing the sport of mountain biking.

Really you don’t ? You don’t think 40′ drops that are now flipped, or 40′ gaps that are now front flipped as progressing the sport of MTBing ? Pushing limits, boundaries. Look at the newer riders who are coming in and having to rider harder and better, bigger and dare i say gnarlier stuff just to be allowed to compete. You then only have to sit and watch Friday fails and Saturday sends to see how that brings progression to the masses, it makes all the youngsters try and push more.
    Or is that simply not what you see MTBing as a sport as being ?

weeksy

Should we, as the people watching and enjoying the event, pay something towards it to go towards the riders

I’m not against that at all…. but i’ll bet we’d be in the minority there. However pinkbike has shown that when the chips are down and riders injured, the public WILL help them out longer term. I recall at least a couple of riders who had many thousands donated to help with their recovery.

One thing i do question slightly though is “should redbull cover all their medical bills”, however, to an extent you’d think the riders themselves should also have a sense of their own medical cover through insurance. I doubt it’s the easiest thing on the planet to get cover for, but i’d expect it can be done.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Is there any update on the lad who had the big fall ?

weeksy

https://m.pinkbike.com/news/tom-van-steenbergen-broke-hip-sockets-into-multiple-pieces-femur-lower-vertebrae-and-shoulder-in-red-bull-rampage-crash.html

Medics immediately surrounded him and quickly took him off location on a spine board. Now, he has posted an update from the hospital on his multiple injuries, which include breaking his left and right hip sockets into multiple pieces, breaking a piece off the top of his femur, breaking a piece of his lower vertebrae, and separating his shoulder.

leffeboy

I’m a bit bored of seeing straight flip after straight flip. It was nice to see a bit of flair.

I’m with you on that.  It’s nice to have one flip in a run but the style of the whole thing should score higher points I feel.  I really enjoyed that ride and how complete and smooth it looked.  Semenuk for the win still though

copa
    Free Member

Now, he has posted an update from the hospital on his multiple injuries, which include breaking his left and right hip sockets into multiple pieces, breaking a piece off the top of his femur, breaking a piece of his lower vertebrae, and separating his shoulder.

What a buzzkill.

marksnook
    Free Member

copa
    Free Member

What a tool

fooman

It is hard to follow the scoring but you could tell Semunuks run was something special so you can at least correlate that with the win.

My feelings towards Red Bull were definitely diminished after the Paul Basagoitia incident. I know these guys would do it anyway but when corporate sponsors are enabling these events they should have contingency for riders future welfare.

csb

This isn’t like paying pissed tramps to fight, these competitors seem from their interviews like educated and rational folk who are able to make their own judgements on risk and participation. Not seeing where the exploitation is.

Tim
    Free Member

Semenuk seemed pretty unexcited by his win

He is amazingly talented but I don’t find him that interesting to watch as it feels like there is zero passion. Comes across like a mountain biking Mark Zuckerberg 😉

That’s probably grossly unfair and I haven’t seen that side of him…

sharkattack

People used to say that about Sam Hill. Not everyone is Mr Charisma in front of a camera.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 146 total)

The topic ‘Rampage? Tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.