Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Ragley BluePig/Marley or Cotic Soul?
  • simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I have an 18” marley and it’s spot on for me with a 60mm stem at 5′ 7.

It builds into a light and very capable bike. I have never had a sprightly lightweight steel frame to compare the stiffness of it to but it seems fine and not overly tiring. I have had numerous long travel hardtail frames (chameleon,stiffee,surge,mmmbop,BFe) and along with the mmmbop it’s definitely the best handling of them all. As said previously its slack head angle helps on the downs but it has a relatively steep seat angle to position the weight to stop the front wandering too much.

Something to think about would be the length / travel of fork used. 140/150 would be ideal with a ragley. But having had a BFe, which has I believe the same angles as the soul, I don’t think 150 would feel very good. 150 on the BFe made the seat angle very slack and the front wander very easily. You can compensate with technique but it’s not ideal. Probably around 120 would be ideal with the soul.

I imagine the soul would build into a lovely bike but also the ragley manufacturing has improved to say the least. The paint / welding is miles better on the marley over the mmmbop.

simonr2011
    Free Member

I have a 16″ Ragley Marley bought recently when CR were throwing them away. Finally built a few weeks back with 140mm Revs up front and SLX everwhere else.

Been to Cwmcarm and FOD (vererders) feels solid, comfy and rapid on the downs. Climbs well and so far very impressed with it and took no time to gte use to it which is always a good sign of a well balance bike.

Waiting to take it to Bike park Wale but might have to take a day off work for that as weekends are book solid.

househusband

…why don’t frame manufaturers make frames to fit the majority of their customers?

abductee; you’re forgetting (and the graphs you link to don’t show) that irrespective of height we’re also going to have different length torsos, backs, arms and legs – that will make as much of a difference to frame fit as height does. You’re also referring to most mountain bike frames made in (generally) small, medium and large..

Road bike sizing is different and, arguably, far more critical – so road bikes are made in more and closer sizes.

vorlich
    Free Member

Just to counter the medium Soul folk above I’m just over 6′ and wouldn’t change my large frame for medium. I’ve run it with 70mm and 50mm stems, 70 was fine, but 50 handles best IMO.

leo72
    Free Member

The Cotic Soul is both light and tough at the same time. I’ve had my old Soul since 2004 (still going strong) and in december I grabbed one of the gloss green frames for £375 – couldn’t resist that deal. This new one is built All Mountain way, still it’s as light as 12,85 kg / 28.3 lbs. It’s one of the best steel hardtails ever made – if not the best. Check out more pictures at Vital MTB – Bike of the Day 6 February.

/Leo

philb88
    Free Member

Leo that looks awesome!

That a mk3 frame, tapered steerer? Can I ask what height you are?

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Ragley BluePig/Marley or Cotic Soul?’ is closed to new replies.