• This topic has 90 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by argee.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Raducanu reaching the US Open Final, well done!
  • fasthaggis

Superb

thegreatape
    Free Member

She doesn’t look like she’s the kind of competitor that’s going to lose in this kind of situation.

Which one?!

spacemonkey

Wow. She’s done it.

That was easily one of the best women’s finals I’ve seen in nearly 40 years.

nuke

Yes!!!!!!!!!!

…and with an ace 😎

frankconway

Championship point!!!
    Unfkin believable.
    Deuce…
    Van against, game point fernandez…
    Deuce…
    Championship point no 2…
    Deuce…
    Game point fernandez…
    Game fernandez.
    Championship winning game? Raducanu serving…
    15-15
    30-15
    30-30
    30-40
    Emma you can do it
    Ace!!!!!!!!!!
    Played 20 sets, won 20 sets.
    Oh Wow.

reluctantjumper

Fantastic! Qualifier to champion without dropping a single set and also having to work for it.

olddog

Get in!!

dirtyrider
    Free Member

that was some game,

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

That did not feel like 6-4 6-3 match. Blood, sweat and tears.

reluctantjumper

That did not feel like 6-4 6-3 match.

The score line doesn’t portray the quality of the match at all, could have gone either way at any point.

spacemonkey

Big shout out to Fernandez. An unbelievable competitor and she more than played her part. Emma was just that little bit better.

argee

Unbelievable, from nowhere to US Open champion, and setting a few records on the way!

richmars

That’s some stage they’re building.

MoreCashThanDash

The score line doesn’t portray the quality of the match at all, could have gone either way at any point.

We just had the same conversation, feel for Fernandez.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Wowee!

And not a single off putting gamesmanship scream to be heard.

Great match.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Dunno if true, but read that she hadn’t even faced a set point. Unbelievable stuff. What a pair of players they are! Props to Fernandez – she came through some epic games to reach the final. Raducanu though, Jeez!!

cheers_drive

Amazing quality of tennis. So many winners rather than unforced errors.

pk13

Not that the cash is the point but six weeks ago doing a levels today 2:5 mil in the bank.
    I don’t do tennis but that was some skill on display.

Not dropped a set

TiRed

History making.

Fueled
    Free Member

Being given a cheque for $2.5m was hilarious

BoardinBob

That was a joy

theotherjonv

I suspect she won’t be doing qualifying weeks any more.

dantsw13

You got the impression in the press conference these 2 might be meeting in a lot of finals….

pondo

Awesome! 🙂

theotherjonv

I’ve just been in to tell my 17yo that she’s got a year to get her finger out, or we’ll be having serious words 😉 .

tenfoot

Not a big tennis fan, but I enjoyed that. Pretty tense.

colournoise

Will be wonderful and awful to see the right wing press contort their logic to celebrate the UK’s mixed race immigrant winning the US Open…

charliemort

Who was the commentator on Amazon? Asian, think her name was Annie ? Thought she was v good

blitz

Great game. Lost a bit of respect for Fernandez when she started kicking off about the medical time out though. It did lose her the momentum she was building but it was out of everyone’s hands and certainly wasn’t some sort of underhand tactic. She was only delaying the inevitable anyway by that stage. Great tennis all round though.

dooosuk
    Free Member

@charliemort… Ex GB tennis player Anne Keothavong

irc

colournoise

Will be wonderful and awful to see the right wing press contort their logic to celebrate the UK’s mixed race immigrant winning the US Open…
    Posted 28 minutes ago

FFS Enjoy the moment without bringing politics into it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Lost a bit of respect for Fernandez when she started kicking off about the medical time out though.

I thought it was just emotion getting the better of her – she probably knew she’d lost it by that point. She seems a really decent lass as well.

CountZero

Will Morgan the arsehole suddenly become a fan now?

Yes, because she took his advice after he slagged her off over her breathing issue at Wimbledon.
    Odious little shit that he is.

MoreCashThanDash

While Morgan may have had a point about needing to learn to handle pressure better, as usual he couldn’t do it in a way that didn’t make him look an utter ****.

doris5000

I thought it was just emotion getting the better of her – she probably knew she’d lost it by that point. She seems a really decent lass as well.

She had saved several match points, and was at break point to make it 5-4. She had dug her way out of some pretty big holes in her route to the final, and could have argued she had momentum at this point. Plus, she’s still basically a kid and this was her first final. So yeah – I don’t think she really had grounds for complaint but can totally understand why she was upset/stressed about it.

I’m sure she’ll bounce back- looks like a really good player.

doris5000

as usual he couldn’t do it in a way that didn’t make him look an utter

He couldn’t make a sandwich in a way that didn’t make him look like an utter ****.

The ****.

thepurist

Plus, she’s still basically a kid and this was her first final.

While we were focusing on the GB success story I expect there was a similar thing playing out in Canada. It would’ve been a fairytale win for either of them, and both had their chances at key points. Shame about the ouchy knee but I don’t think that should detract from a great match.

theotherjonv

I don’t think she really had grounds for complaint

I do. Not at Radacanu, but just at the way the chips fell at that moment. She was up on momentum, could have won the game and set subsequently, and then it’s a one set match. So yes you can bemoan your luck and in the same way as Radacanu took advantage of the stoppage, at that level you have to try to shift that back however you can.

They’re both lovely, well adjusted girls by the looks of it but you don’t get to that level without being ruthless, even at 18.

irc

Seen elsewhere –
    “Just proves not all brits are afraid of a US court…”

MoreCashThanDash

She had saved several match points, and was at break point to make it 5-4. She had dug her way out of some pretty big holes in her route to the final, and could have argued she had momentum at this point.

I do wonder if, with hindsight, Fernández wishes she’d used that injury time out to focus on what had started working for her against a now injured (ok, was a scratch) opponent, rather than allowing her focus to be lost arguing with the ref.

The good news is that they are both young, will learn lessons from all aspects of this, and will hopefully keep us enthralled for a few years to come.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Raducanu reaching the US Open Final, well done!’ is closed to new replies.