• This topic has 90 replies, 52 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by argee.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)
  • Raducanu reaching the US Open Final, well done!
  • argee

Can’t believe that before her run at Wimbledon, we’d never really heard of her, no great fanfare or predictions, but then a good run there and she’s on the radar, and after finishing her A Levels she’s now in the biggest final of her profession, and up against a 19 year old who is also unranked for this tournament, it’s always weird how the women’s tournaments seem to throw up these runs, but the men seem to always be one of the big three.

Coyote
    Free Member

Fantastic achievement! She has shown some real dedication and must have made real sacrifices to get where she has. Not a tennis fan but can spot exceptional talent and she has enormous potential. Good luck for hopefully a stellar future.

spacemonkey

She reminds me of Andy Murray when he first came on the scene (as an 18 yr old?) at Wimbledon c 2005. Has the shots, the mobility and perhaps most importantly, the on court drive and determination to beat the best. And the self belief to break the top 10 and maybe even top 5.

An incredible achievement from her for sure. But this has been a bit of an odd US Open. Regardless of what happens in the final, hopefully she’ll reach the pinnacle. A very articulate girl too, full of humility. Good on her.

irc

It’s the way she has done it as well. Coping with every jump in the class of opponent and making world class players look ordinary. Into the final without a dropped set or tiebreaker.
    Incredible achievement regardless of what happens in the final.

Should be a seed for the Australian Open.

MoreCashThanDash

She’s looking so much more confident and mature, on and off the court. Fantastic achievement.

Not all the big names were at the tournament but she’s taken some proper scalps on the way.

intheborders
    Free Member

Headlines after the final in the Mail/Express, either:

Front Page
    “First Englishwoman to win an Open since…”

Or

Inside back page:
    “Canadian/Romanian/Chinese immigrant who went to school in London loses in Final”

chewkw
    Free Member

Well done to Emma Raducanu.

Good income and hopefully more to come.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Definitely good for her! Love that she had responded on the court to all the idiots that so instantly and harshly jumped to criticize her when she lost at Wimbledon.

Reminds me of Boris Becker bursting on to the scene at Wimbledon.

kelvin

Into the final without a dropped set or tiebreaker.

That’s the most impressive part. She hasn’t scraped her way into the final, she’s been in full control all the way. Whatever happens now, she’s right up there.

convert

That’s the most impressive part. She hasn’t scraped her way into the final, she’s been in full control all the way. Whatever happens now, she’s right up there.

She certainly is. She has the talent, sporting style, intelligence, eloquence and (arguably depressingly important) aesthetics to be a mega star. But I suspect never in her career again will a path to an open final have such a low ranked series of opposition. Even a top 4 seeded player would be super pleased at that set of opposition.

mefty
    Free Member

Reminds me of Boris Becker bursting on to the scene at Wimbledon.

Becker was unseeded but in the top 20, seeds only went to 16 then and had won Queens. This is on another level. All her opponents are making lots of unforced errors (a subjective measure) and I wonder whether she is rushing them by returning a split second earlier than most other players – she is completely dominating her opponents so far.

nickjb
    Free Member

She’s been great throughout. Lots more to come as well.

I predict a Brit will win the men’s doubles too.

wipperman95
    Free Member

Just watching it now on Prime; according to the co commentator, her professional record this season before the semi is 8-3. Her lifetime professional record is 8-3.

Maybe she got lucky with the draw, but has beaten the in form Olympic champion, and the player who beat the No 1 player/seed.

Still early, but could well be the real deal…..

frankconway

Hugely impressive and, based on post match interviews, appears to be very grounded.
    As for comments about the quality of opposition, she can only play/beat what’s in front of her.
    She’s done that wonderfully well.

She bossed the semi. Sakkari never looked like she was at all comfortable with the match. Raducanu kept forcing errors from her. I enjoyed it.

aP
    Free Member

Will Morgan the arsehole suddenly become a fan now?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

BBC news report abour her there. Described as ‘a grammar school girl’. This obsession with background and class is boak inducing, give it a bloody rest.

Best of luck to her, she’s been phenomenal.

Pauly

The final is live on C4 tonight!

MoreCashThanDash

Blimey, how long can they keep up this level of tennis?

thegreatape
    Free Member

It sounds like every serve clips the net, what’s causing that? Evidently they’re not actually clipping it because they’re not calling a let.

reluctantjumper

It’ll boil down to who cracks first judging by the first few games. Both of them are playing equally as well as each other, going to be a good one.

MoreCashThanDash

It sounds like every serve clips the net, what’s causing that? Evidently they’re not actually clipping it because they’re not calling a let.

Thought it was just me hearing that – echo from the serve maybe

BoardinBob

It sounds like every serve clips the net, what’s causing that?

Noticed that as well. Watching on my Sonos system in case that’s a factor? I’m guessing it’s an echo in the arena

shinton
    Free Member

Kermit the frog on commentary?

frankconway

Neither fazed by the occasion and playing their natural games.
    Two set points…
    Now down to one…
    Deuce…
    Van for…
    Deuce…
    Van for…
    First Set!!!
    Woo Hoo!!!

thegreatape
    Free Member

That’ll do

But how closely matched are they?!

richmars

First set!

reluctantjumper

First set done, bloody hard work but well deserved.

If this is an indication of the future of the quality of women’s tennis it’s going to be very good!

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Loving this, couldn’t even tell you whose in the men’s final, much better tennis this

dannyh
    Free Member

First set to Raducanu.

Absolutely 50/50 in terms of standard of tennis.

Their pace around the court is insane.

spacemonkey

That was quite some first set. Both going toe-to-toe and not giving an inch.

Some astonishing groundstrokes from both players. 1st serve % on the low side but that could be a tension thing. But for 2 young women in their first slam final so early in their careers, this really is an incredible spectacle.

spacemonkey

I’m also thinking that nabbing that first set in the manner in which she had to fight for it will give her an extra injection of confidence. So often in this tournament she’s blitzed her way to set after set. Here, Fernandez isn’t backing down, making Emma fight that bit harder than she’s had to.

MoreCashThanDash

Loving this, couldn’t even tell you whose in the men’s final

Same here. And I don’t care either

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Thought Fernandez was about to crack there but what a fightback. Incredible tennis.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Get in.

frankconway

Go, Emma, Go!

Two service holds…

nuke

Amazing. This is super intense

spacemonkey

Wow. She’s gone to another level these last 3-4 games and is now 1 game away.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

She doesn’t look like she’s the kind of competitor that’s going to lose in this kind of situation.

reluctantjumper

Loving this.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Raducanu reaching the US Open Final, well done!’ is closed to new replies.