Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Radio experts … Antenna or aerial?
  • hedley
    Free Member

Is there a difference? I’ve always called it an antenna.

Googling says the terms are interchangeable.

thanks.

d42dom

Was always told aerial is a washing powder! Aerial receives, antenna transmits and receives. Not got anything to back this up though just the terminology used in my work

imnotverygood

I’m my work we generally tend to use aerial for everything, but nobody would object if you used antenna instead.

kja78
    Free Member

Ex Royal Signals Technician here. The terms are interchangeable. When I went through my trade training we had an instructor who insisted that antenna was an Americanism and that we had say aerial.

An antenna/aerial is simply a conductor cut to a certain length and can be used to both transmit and receive. It’s the equipment that’s attached to it that determines what it does. As an example, covert car radios use the car’s radio aerial to transmit and receive. It’s not perfect as the aerial’s not quite the right length for the frequencies, but it works well enough.

d42dom

Ex Royal Signals RTG, can’t say we ever used the term aerial due to the washing powder reference

hedley
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies.

CountZero

Aerial could also refer to something flying, as in aerial combat…

CraigW
    Free Member

“Ariel” is a washing powder. Or a mermaid.

Alpha1653

The terms are used interchangeably most of the time as the majority of people are not aware of the difference. But speak to someone who does it professionally and if they’re a bit picky, they may well correct you.

Strictly speaking, an aerial is used to receive  signals; an antenna receives and transmits. In Kja78’s example above, a car’s aerial is known as an aerial because it usually only receives radio signals. However, if it is used to transmit a signal as well the the aerial should be called an antenna. But no one does as people will look at you weird if you start talking about a car’s ‘antenna’.

kja78
    Free Member

Alpha 1653, I disagree. The terms are interchangeable. Whether a piece of wire is called an antenna or an aerial it is still physically capable of transmitting and receiving.

Anyway, this is an argument that has been had thousands of times and no doubt will be had thousands more. When writing I always use the abbreviation Ae, so you can read it as either.

Alpha1653

Oh yeah, absolutely. In my understanding, it’s not how the bit of wire is constructed that determines what it’s called, rather how it’s used. Where’s a FofS when you need one?! 🤓

Anyway, OP – it’s a random question, why do you need to know?!

kja78
    Free Member

Is this a first on STW? An argument where people agree to disagree? It can’t be.

Alpha1653

I’m just used to arguing with Techs and I know it’s a lost cause 😉

d42dom

I’m just used to arguing with Techs and I know it’s<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> a lost cause </span>

Haha

How many scaleys/ex-scaleys are on here!

Alpha1653

Maybe that’s the point of this thread? A form of entrapment? OP knew a scaley couldn’t resist the title!

d42dom

Who else would spend a Saturday night discussing antennas!

Cougar

Surely the OP knew it’d be a thread which would be well received.

jonm81

Antenna.  My PhD is in antenna design and what I worked in for 10 years.  Calling them aerials will get you laughed out of any company beyond those which fit TV antennas and Sky dishes.

Edit: Oh, and in all likelihood I designed or commissioned a good number of the of the <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>Antennas</span> the Royal Sigs chaps up there used and they are a damn sight more complex that a wire cut to half a wavelength.

Alpha1653

Thank you jonm 😉

geologist
    Free Member

I design commercial and military sat comms systems, I put together the RF chain from modem to LNB/HPA. I’ve designed systems for the biggest operators from SES through to Eutelsat, and I have never heard anyone refer to them as aerials .

kja78
    Free Member

I thought it was too good to be true…

Alpha1653

“I thought it was too good to be true…”

Ha! 😂

geologist
    Free Member

Haha – it is STW 😀

At least this topic has opinions from people who are actively knowledgeable (although maybe not in agreement). If it was inline with most threads it would be full of people with no experience or knowledge of what they are arguing over.

aracer
    Free Member

I don’t design antennas, but I’ve worked with people who do. It’s a handy way of telling the difference between those who know what they’re talking about and those who call them aerials 😈

Alpha1653

I’m taking note of who sounds like they know what they’re on about so when I write my dissertation on radios and AI, I can hit them up for some industry knowledge! STW comes in handy yet again 💪🏻

imnotverygood

Not finding anything anywhere on the internet which contradicts the view that the two terms are interchangeable. I think it will be down to the fashion of where you happen to work.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Radio experts … Antenna or aerial?’ is closed to new replies.