• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Euro.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Radio 1 and the big weekender – rant/londonrant
  • Euro
    Free Member

Stop trying not to offend us sensitive Northern Irelanders and call it Derry (for that’s it’s name) and be done with it FFS! Or call it Londonderry if you really want, but referring to it as derry/londonderry every two minutes is starting to make me ANGRY (<rant point?).

I would tune out, but the only options are local radio with constant adverts for taxis and carpets interspersed with choice picks from the Now that’s what i call the 80’s collection.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Need longer sentences, less punctuation, more swear filter avoidance and post in bike forum.
    Could do better C-

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

Try this; it’s amazing, like having a radio station that plays nothing but music you like all the time.

project
    Free Member

Is it in the uk, or a junket for radio one dj,s.

njee20
    Free Member

As an Englishman it really annoys me, so I’d be utterly apoplectic, if not incandescent in your position.

Euro
    Free Member

thegiantbiker – Member

Try this; it’s amazing, like having a radio station that plays nothing but music you like all the time.

I’ve loads of blanks cds and dvd around me, but they don’t make any sound at all. They must be duds.

I’m in work so it’s either the old radio or silence (none of the pooters have speakers as such).

singletrackmind
    glupton1976
    Free Member

Reported – swear filter avoidance. 😉

Euro
    Free Member

+

Headphones

Good suggestion, but despite working in an office packed with non-dangerous computers, printers etc i’m not allowed to wear headphones for dumb H+S reasons (i’ve been reprimanded in the past for this). I look out onto the factory floor and see deathtrap machines and their operators are allowed earplugs/headphones to help drown out the noise, again for H+S reasons.

I think i’ll get myself a digital radio, if it’s not too dangerous 😀

br
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Londonderry

Derry or Londonderry is the second-largest city in Northern Ireland[2][3] and the fourth-largest city on the island of Ireland.[4] The name Derry is an anglicisation of the Irish name Daire or Doire meaning “oak grove”.[5][6] In 1613, the city was granted a Royal Charter by King James I and the “London” prefix was added, changing the name of the city to Londonderry. While the city is more usually known as Derry,[7][8] Londonderry is also used and remains the legal name.

Yep, as an Englishman either will do 🙂

Euro
    Free Member

It’s one of those markers used over here (by biggotts mostly) to determine which religious group you belong to. Like the which team do you support. Celtic for the taigs and Rangers for the Huns. I’ve seen fights break out for calling it Derry in the wrong area. Thing is, i lived there for two years and everyone in the city calls it Derry. It seems only morons from outside the city call it Londonderry. Do people in England call Newcastle, Newcastle Upon Tyne?

PiknMix
    Free Member

To distinguish it from Newcastle under Lyme yes 😉

Northwind

Hah, this is cool… Listening to Teamrock thanks to singletrackmind there, and because one of my speakers is blown I’m now getting Hendrix but with practically no vocals- just a really slight ghostly echo out of the right hand side. It actually sounds brilliant- quick, pull your jacks half out!

Er, that is all.

Drac

Locals call Newcastle Upon Tyne ,The Toon when the media talk about it’s called Newastle. So I’m not sure what your point is to be honest.

Euro
    Free Member

The newcastle thing was a bit of a tangent.

The bbc bigwigs don’t want to offend us so are calling derry, derry/londonderry. But in not wanting to offend anyone, they’ve mildy offended me and others i’m sure – just not mainlanders, who obviously couldn’t give two poops 😀

float
    Free Member

Radio 1…

i think ive found your problem

amodicumofgnar

I thought official vocab guidance was now Newcasltegateshead. A name that does actually anoy, up there with Liverpool Bay and the newly emergent Tees Valley. Cleveland or Teeside being far too toxic to marktet?

uselesshippy
    Free Member

you do know radio 1 is aimed at children….
    are you a child? if not, that could be your problem. 😀

CountZero

Are you younger than 15? If no, then you’re well outside Radio 1’s demographic. 6Music is where you should be looking.

Euro
    Free Member

6Music is where you should be looking.

That’s my home station, but i can’t get it in work on the wireless. I can get radio 2, but it’s a bit crap. Only other stations i can pick up are local and there’s only so much 2unlimited and Garth Brooks a man can take 😀

In fairness, Rob Da Bank plays some great stuff early sunday mornings on R1.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Radio 1 and the big weekender – rant/londonrant’ is closed to new replies.