Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Raceface BB dead; which is the go to BB92/24 bottom bracket?
  • ogden
    Free Member

My BB has ceased up in my Capra and needs replacing. The bike runs the aeffect cranks that have a 24mm spindle and use the Raceface BB92 bottom bracket. What are the go to BB to replace the Raceface rubbish?

I run a WMF BB on my other bike but I could do without spending £60 on on at the moment if possible. https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Wheels-Manufacturing/BB86-92-Outboard-ABEC-3-Bottom-Bracket-for-24mm-Shimano-Cranks/EM28

It says its for a 24mm Shimano crank so is there a shimano pressfit BB that would work? I cant seem to find one.

I hate bottom brackets!

Cheers

Northwind

Pretty sure this is the one I have

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/shimano-xt-hollowtech-ii-press-fit-bottom-bracket-bb-mt800-pa-449971?currency=3&delivery_country=190&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI04rqlfbd5gIVWeDtCh3GFwgkEAkYBCABEgJsa_D_BwE

Works fine tbh, I’m not keen on push fit but it’s not really ever caused me any bother. I use it with a 24mm shimano crank, but then I’ve also got a shimano screwfit BB in another bike that uses an aeffect 24mm crank so I’d be pretty confident in it working.

sillyoldman

The one NW linked to definitely works and will way outlast a RF unit.

leegee

Can you not change the bearings on that BB? I have a threaded RF BB and changing the bearings is easy.

mboy
    Free Member

I run a WMF BB on my other bike but I could do without spending £60 on on at the moment if possible.

Yes, but… Buy a Wheels/Hope and the bearings will significantly outlast several cheaper RF/Shimano BB units, AND the bearings are individually replaceable (stock MR2437 2RS bearings) once you have the unit. More expensive up front, but cheaper and better in the long run…

But if, for now, you just need anything to do the job, then yes a Shimano BB92 unit will work fine.

ogden
    Free Member

Yes, but… Buy a Wheels/Hope and the bearings will significantly outlast several cheaper RF/Shimano BB units, AND the bearings are individually replaceable (stock MR2437 2RS bearings) once you have the unit. More expensive up front, but cheaper and better in the long run…

But if, for now, you just need anything to do the job, then yes a Shimano BB92 unit will work fine.

I agree completely and if it hadn’t just been Christmas and I wasn’t as skint I’d have bought the WMF one already. £15 shimano one will do me for the time being and amazon will have it here tomorrow 😃. With bank holiday this week I’d be lucky for the wheels one to arrive before the weekend from sigma anyway.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Raceface BB dead; which is the go to BB92/24 bottom bracket?’ is closed to new replies.