Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Quit my job?
  • andeh

I know that recruiters can help, I’ll definitely have to give it a go and be more open.

bwaarp
    Free Member

To be brutally honest you come across as a bit of a quitter…..

Nobody who completes an architecture degree is a quitter, believe me. I chose not to continue to become a fully qualified architect because it wasn’t the right choice for me. I don’t see how getting out at a convenient point is quitting. I didn’t want to waste 4 years, and countless pounds, chasing a career which I knew I wouldn’t enjoy.

90 percent of the world hate their jobs….those who like their jobs do laid back, academically interesting or awesome dream jobs like being a fighter pilot, astronaut or whatever. Everyone tires of what they do at some point.

In fact, leave what you enjoy and your work separate….and earn enough so you can afford to do the things you like.

andeh

Still, that’s no reason to settle for something that I know I won’t get on with. May as well aim for something I think I might like, that way it’ll be a surprise when it turns out I don’t 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

C’mon sbob, I asked quite a specific question, I was returned a very personally insulting and completely unconstructive reply with very little relation to the original post.

You don’t like the truth, you need everyone to be on their tip toes around you.

Slaps forehead and moves on.

I await your next self centred post in 6 months time. Until then good by and good luck.

takisawa2

On the off chance, Can you use Autodesk Inventor…? 🙂

andeh

Hmmm, unfortunately I’ve never spent any time with Inventor. I spent most of my time with AutoCAD, Revit and 3DS Max.

timber

No idea where you are geographically, but, £70 a month travel, plus paying board at home – could you get a room in a shared house closer to work? At least you’d have time then. Time you could use to chase new opportunities or investigate a start-up.

Try and chat to people doing the job you want, find out what the role looks for, qualifications, experience – knock on benefit is your name gets known by the right people and offers of work experience or trials may come up. It may not get far, but not asking, I guarantee will get you nowhere.
    This level of pestering has worked for my wife, although still on short term contracts, she has a pretty good choice when the time comes for a new one.

chewkw
    Free Member

If the job is affecting your health or your mental health then move on. Money can buy your health …

joepose
    Free Member

Whats the worst that can happen? Think its safe to say you wont die by leaving, but one day you will die and times ticking…………….

user-removed
    Free Member

Why not go back to uni and do a degree in something you actually care about? I did (made some huge sacrifices, including stacking shelves in my spare time) and have never looked back. Before I went back, all my jobs were like yours; catering / retail / multi-drop delivery.

It is hard – you do feel trapped and I know loads of bright young guys stuck in nasty little ruts. It may not be the way for you, but it worked for me…

slowmart
    Free Member

Maybe it’s time to realise your life is your responsibility?

When i left school i went onto a YTS scheme working in a factory. In winter I arrived at work when it was dark and left when it was dark. Sunlight was a weekend only event. Crap prospects in Maggies mid eighties UK economy, destroying the unions and freeing the market forces….

Sometimes you can’t see the wood for the trees and being stuck in a rut is an easy solution. Even at the tender age of 16 the bitterness in a lot of the older guys was palpable.Even in the supervisors or managers. Same prison different uniform. It seemed that they eventually woke up from their slumber to realise this was their life and it wasn’t measurably going to improve. These guys were timed served, skilled but so so bitter as whatever dreams or aspirations they once nurtured were left unfulfilled.

That for me was a massive driver, as was seeing the mining communities being torn apart and was a life changing event in economics and politics. I resolved then never to put myself in that position. So far, 30 years later i never have.

Many people will sleep walk through life, miss opportunities and decide to stick in the same rut until something better comes along. In most cases nothing better comes along. Add a partner, family, mortgage and the all the other stuff and it’s even harder to break the cycle.

You need to live life outside your comfort zone. Yes it’s scary but realise and understand why scars you. Me, I’m scared of failure and it’s a great driver fear. Understand who you are and apply yourself accordingly.

Everyone has a different perception of risk, measure and mitigate risk by all means but everything you do carries risk. It’s personal to each of us what is acceptable.

Best Wishes on your journey.

btw i won’t wish you luck as one of the few things to wind me up is when someone comments ” oh your so lucky to do/have” Yep the harder I work the luckier I am. Strange that.

antennae
    Free Member

Many people will sleep walk through life, miss opportunities and decide to stick in the same rut until something better comes along.

This.

Move to somewhere different, with better prospects. It could be anywhere in the world.

How much have you got saved up? Enough for a plane ticket and a bit of buffer?

If you’re free of responsibilities, don’t have any big debts to service and have youth on your side, grab the opportunity to go on adventures now because it is MUCH harder to do the older you get.

If you’re not sure what you want to do for a career, all the more reason to go away and do BUNAC or something so you have some thinking time to figure that out!

Suggsey
    Free Member

Now I was totally unaware of your previous posts as outlined earlier and I was actually going to advise you as first port of call to go to your docs and get some treatment for what sounds like depression from your original post.
    For the ignorant amongst STW, depression can by a cyclical lifelong illness so think before you type, before you could be responsible for pushing someone over the edge. Some people may not be great at face to face self treatment/help and may resort to internet forums for help. Mini rant over.
    Back to the OP’s post, if the docs and treatment doesnt improve how you feel about the situation then consider a complete change to a job without the time consuming travelling.
    Good luck with whatever choices you decide to go with.

chewkw
    Free Member

D’oh!

chewkw – Member

… Money can buy your health …

Should be ” … Money cannot buy your/you health”

andeh

slowmart, thanks, that’s damn inspirational.

I’ve somehow saved up a couple of grand (I don’t really drink, don’t smoke, don’t do drugs….God, how boring am I) so going on a walkabout might be a viable option. Gain a bit of clarity? Grow a beard?

Either way, I thought I’d let you all know that I handed in my notice today. It’s nice, in a strange way. I feel anxious, but at the possibilities, not the fear of failing.

Oh well, we’ll see in a few months. Nothing ventured and all that.

Thanks again.

chewkw
    Free Member

Hope things go well for you.

Aim low and be satisfied or be happy when you get there … then set another goal.

Aim high … well that’s what the bullcrap world is telling you and see what the bullcrap has done to the world. Maggots! Maggots! Infestation! Greed … ! Don’t get Dear Leader started! 😈

slowmart
    Free Member

Excellent news Andeh.

That is a great first step in getting a better perspective.

Northwind

bwaarp – Member

90 percent of the world hate their jobs…

Honestly I think this is something that the minority of people who hate their jobs tell themselves in order to get through the day. (in the same way that people who do lots of unpaid overtime tell themselves everyone does it)

stevewhyte
    Free Member

10 Watch Dennis Leary clip.
    20 Goto 10
    30 End

bwaarp
    Free Member

Honestly I think this is something that the minority of people who hate their jobs tell themselves in order to get through the day. (in the same way that people who do lots of unpaid overtime tell themselves everyone does it)

90 percent of the country work crappy or well paid but boring jobs. Who really really enjoys being a Tesco manager, an accountant or a chef 20 years down the line?

10 percent of us, if that have half way interesting careers. The OP doesn’t know what he really wants to do, therefore he should just be applying to jobs that net him the greatest amount of money so he can cache as much away and use it to invest in whatever he wants to do in the future. That means taking that boring “architect assistant” job instead of being a part time in a retail store.

Northwind

Working a crappy or well-paid-but-boring job doesn’t mean you have to hate it. I ended up hating the bank but I spent maybe 7 years out of 10 not being very impressed with the work, but still not hating it because of good company, or interesting times… Even when it all went tits up and the company started being run by the mentally ill, it was still interesting watching it all happen 😉

andeh

That means taking that boring “architect assistant” job instead of being a part time in a retail store.

Problem is, it’s not so much a case of taking it, more a case of tearing it from the cold, dead hands of the 400+ other grads who applied for the job. I tried it for ages (18 months) but just couldn’t seem to get a hold. Loads of interviews, loads of near misses. I fell out of love. I’ll probably apply for some more, but the competition is really fierce.

Also, for the record, architects don’t really get paid that well, considering the fantastical overtime they’re often expected to put in. I’m not saying I wouldn’t, if given the chance, it’s just that the whole well-paid-architect thing is a bit of an urban myth.

I saw an advert the other day for a Part 1 assistant, in central London, which was offering just under 12k per year. That’s obscene. You couldn’t even live on that. For some reason the industry has adopted this awful culture of unpaid/low paid interns from the creative sector. It ultimately just devalues the trade.

bwaarp
    Free Member

Working a crappy or well-paid-but-boring job doesn’t mean you have to hate it.

If you read between the lines, that was the point I was trying to make. Hardly anyone has their perfect job but we make do and do the best we can in the moment – in the hope we can move on to something better.

I saw an advert the other day for a Part 1 assistant, in central London, which was offering just under 12k per year. That’s obscene. You couldn’t even live on that. For some reason the industry has adopted this awful culture of unpaid/low paid interns from the creative sector. It ultimately just devalues the trade.

You have a few options then, go back to university (it’s gonna cost ya)…..what grades did you get (may I suggest a graduate law diploma if you got a half decent 2:2 or above….in fact start applying to law firms for assistant positions….see if they need architect grads)…..or try to apply for different jobs and try to make the skills you learned during your CV applicable to them…..or learn a trade….or get a crappy bar job near home…..or join the military…..or go abroad and do something like a 6 month diving internship and spend 10 years of your life on tropical beaches teaching tourists to dive.

But quit moaning man and get some imagination – you obviously have half a brain so don’t be afraid to use it – not many people have one – you don’t want to get stuck in a low end dead end job like many of our peers who are 18-25.

Either aim high or aim for a lifestyle – so aim to be a lawyer etc or join the military/go and become a diving instructor in Thailand etc etc yaddayaddayadda.

You say you have a business idea but does it actually have any merit or do you just not like working with others?

bwaarp
    Free Member

Also, others have mentioned you could be depressed. Seriously consider whether you are or not and bear in mind if you go to your GP about it – it will probably mean you’ll be unable to join the forces should you decide to do that, I mean, if you are depressed…..is it because of a brain chemical inbalance (have you had a history of this?) or is it situational (in which case getting some excitement in your life might be good for you). I don’t think your that type that would join up though so it probably wouldn’t matter.

If you are depressed, there’s no shame at all in seeking a medical help. I should have thought about this earlier before giving you an earful.

shanta
    Free Member

Sorry, haven’t read all thread but where do you live? If your in the Midlands PM me. Im not an employer but might be able to point in the direction of one.

weeksy

For me it’s not even a discusion.

I don’t stay in jobs i don’t like… why would you ? it’s more of your time in life than anything other than sleeping.

I’ve been in my current job for 12 + years.. it’s fine.

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Quit my job?’ is closed to new replies.