Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Quit my job?
  • andeh

I hate threads like this, this is a bike forum, DAMMIT! Still, the hive mind is generally helpful with problems not relating to tyres, so we’ll give it a go.

I’m thinking about quitting my job. I don’t have anything lined up to fill the void.

Is this a bad idea?

Here are some facts:

-I work part-time (20 hr contract) in a certain discount clothing shop
    -I travel, by unreliable trains, for about an hour and a half each way which costs me about £70 per month
    -Shifts tend to be 4hrs, I’ve discussed doing 2×10 hrs or 3x7hrs, but the managers said it wouldn’t fit into the rotor….which is bollocks.
    -I find the work demeaning, unchallenging and generally numbing. It makes me angry. Very, very angry.
    -I’ve worked there for nearly a year, it’s getting to me, causing depression, lethargy, self-loathing etc etc.
    -There is zero chance of progression.
    -I have been looking/applying for jobs but it’s gotten to the stage where all I want to do after work is sit. Just sit, somewhere, anywhere really.
    -I have an idea for my own business, though it may take some time to gain momentum i.e. bring in anything like a livable sum.

The only reason I’ve hacked it this long is:

-It’s a job

This now seems redundant. A job it may be, but it’s causing me untold damage mentally and physically. I got paid to day and there seems to be no relationship between the measly sum transferred to my account and the amount of effort I’ve exerted this month. I’m exhausted and I don’t feel it’s worth it. I was a gnat’s bollock away from walking out today.

Answers in before the inevitable “job’s a job” and “just stick it, when I wo a lad…” and “man t’ **** oop, tha’s a bleedin’ jesse” etc etc. Not helpful, not wanted.

Just to retain a shred of bike chat, OH EM GEE, HOW GOOD ARE COTIC SOULS?!?!

Thanks guys….

project
    Free Member

Tell your boss youre about to leave, not like i did and told my ex boss to shove her job up her arse.

If its making you ill and you have enough cash to live on leave, it will be worth it in the long run for your sanity, and bank balalnce.

dyls

Go for it. Commuting 3 hrs for a 4 hrs shift is a lot unless you are paid mega bucks.

piemonster

-I find the work demeaning, unchallenging and generally numbing. It makes me angry. Very, very angry.

Sounds like every job I’ve ever had

TheBrick
    Free Member

Say you will leave unless you can get 2×10 hours then use the spare time to start you business idea. If your boss says leave, then leave and start you business idea but be prepared to work your bollocks off and maybe have to take a few really shit temp jobs along the way to fill gaps in money.

I’ve done a fair few shit jobs over the years and could never stick that long at them. It was better and more interesting to swap every 6 -12 months but always leave on good terms.

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Times are hard mate but you just wrote an articulate albeit apprentice postal room rant there. You are better than they deserve, start believing in yourself, there are jobs out there to be had.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

before doing any of that sit down and do the numbers.

How long can you go without earning?
    What are you skills and what else could you get?

If after thinking about it you are ready to quit ask for a meeting with your manager, explain the situation commute etc, job not worth it etc.

Two thins may happen
    1) No Job thanks and goodbye
    2) Suddenly a way to make longer shifts work

ether way the outcome is the same you either have 7 days per week to look for jobs or 5.

Warning before trying this it is best to have the plan in place and know that you can live for enough time to get something else.

Sound out the self employed idea with mates and try and get it running in the mean time but also look for jobs.

grum
    Free Member

If its really making you that stressed/angry you should probably quit. But you won’t be able to get any benefits AFAIK.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

A whole new life awaits you …….

http://www.legion-recrute.com/en/

andeh

In theory, I shouldn’t find it too difficult to find something else to do on the side. I know a few folks who might be able to sort me out, wink wink saynahmore!

My skills include 2D/3D CAD, graphics work, illustration, computer modelling etc. My business would play with these skills.

My degree is in architecture, but I don’t want to go down that alley.

Spongebob
    Free Member

You are a qualified architect!?

andeh

No, I just did the degree. Part 1 diploma.

To become an architect you need to collect all 3 of the limited edition diplomas. Much like my Star Wars Tazo collection, I stopped about 1/3 of the way through. It wasn’t for me.

I can be an architectural assistant….whatever that means. Part 2 is a year in industry and 2 more years study. Part 3 is completed while working, takes 1 year+.

This verse from The Hexx by Pavement pretty much sums up my feelings towards the profession.

“Architecture students are like virgins
    with an itch they cannot scratch,
    Never build a building till you’re 50
    what kind of life is that?”

bwaarp
    Free Member

Either stop whining and finish your architecture work or join the military. Better yet…. do a five year stint in the forces and come out with some more drive to finish your professional qualifications after you’ve spent a few years having a sergeant shouting in your ears.

You get paid when working in industry and finishing your qualifications do you not? If I went to post-grad med school I’d only be a junior doctor/surgeon and would see another decade of training before I was fully qualified.

I don’t usually make MTFU posts but this ones for you…

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAVoQfoU0dQ[/video]

meehaja
    Free Member

Find something else to go to first. Anything. It doesn’t matter just so long as you’ve got something coming in. Job centre/ employers look down on people leaving jobs to be unemployed. this may seem like a small thing now, but could matter later.

I walked out of a job as the management weren’t willing to address the bullying on the shop floor, and as a supervisor the staff were coming to me. I gave them an ultimatum of sort it or I walk. It felt good leaving with my integrity intact, but it made paying the rent hard!

Retail can be a horrible experience, one of my favourite jobs ever was working in a petfood warehouse breaking up cases of 24 cans of dog food and oacking them up as 4 packs. Zero thought, zero stress, just long hours and hard work. My arms were ripped by the end of 4 months there!

Its always easier to find a job when you’#ve already got one.

trailertrash

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about self employment/running your own business. People often still say to me “it must be great, you can take time off whenever you want”. Nothing could be further from the truth. It is very hard. Then you take on staff and it gets harder. Then if you are really lucky it’s a successful business, so you take on partners, and it gets even harder.

Let someone else take the strain. Be an employee. Be glad.

Spongebob
    Free Member

Self employment is tough! If you are the right person for it; get on well with people/ a popular/charismatic type, have a bit of luck, are capable and work like a dog, you might do much better than as an employee.

Most people have jobs they don’t enjoy. In my experience, people in this predicament expend more energy not doing a job well by servicing a different agenda they have created, perhaps out of boredom, resentment, or just sadistic entertainment. This makes their colleagues’ day to day experience a nightmare.

So if you are in the wrong job, do something about it, but don’t expect that to solve your job satisfaction issues – other people will always make what could be a rewarding situation an uphill struggle. I have had jobs with a high degree of autonomy and where one can get on the road to change the scenery. This was good, but the job spilled into my private time far too much.

I don’t think many get what they want with their careers, but if you want a chance, you must have a plan. Gaining qualifications should be an integral part of a long term plan and once you have started, you should finish. The qualifications must be relevant to not just the role you are seeking in the immediate future, but to a wider spectrum of opportunities and the roles to which you aspire later in your career.

Taking a job in a cheapo retailer is soul destroying. It riles me that they only allow staff to do a 4 hour shift. They like this because they don’t have to give you a break, which would cost them money. Tight wads! There are too many companies getting away with paying peanuts, but then we all have to start somewhere. Just make it a stepping stone and use your time on the train to better yourself.

Look for another job closer to home, even if its a dull and poorly paid as the last job.

DONT QUIT YOUR JOB! An unemployed person is viewed as much less employable, so you automatically become in a much worse place! Having no job is a killer; you lose your daily routine, laying in bed and posting crap on websites like this. You eventually start to doubt whether you will be able to maintain a job (if you can get one). Agents are working for their client and not you. You are a commodity and don’t expect to be treated as anything else. It is soul destroying applying for jobs and not getting any response. You have no money to do anything and life is miserable as your self esteem takes repeated knocks. You receive a repeatedly reinforced message that nobody really gives a toss about you. Even friends and family won’t get it, giving ill thought out generic advice, not really understanding the route causes of your unhappiness.

You need to concentrate on what it is that makes you tick. I always think it’s good to focus in something you enjoy and are good at. Talent is a rare thing, so think about how yours may be nurtured.

I have done some volunteering to get me out of the house. It was largely menial work, but I enjoyed the interaction with others and because you are supplying your labour for free, you don’t suffer any ankle biting from employers thinking they own you because they are paying you a few quid. Doing this reflects well on your CV and could open doors you never imagined. It’s about being in the right place at the right time, working hard and staying positive.

Hope this helps.

robbo167
    Free Member

Been there ,Done that…..Dont think about it,just walk away now….it will all work out…nothing is worth feeling that bad over.
    And you will find out who your friends really are….

andyrm
    Free Member

Don’t leave until you have something else.

Your daily structure is a blessing in disguise. Plan your week on a Sunday night, set clear defined tasks each day for which recruitment agencies you will go and see each day to register & see what they have.

Having worked in recruitment years ago, I can tell you for a fact that there are lots of jobs that never get to the general public as they get filled by agencies pushing candidates in. With a few good agencies behind you, you’ll also find them forcing your CV under the nose of other companies who might not even be looking right now, but for the right person would always consider.

andeh

Seems like the morning crowd think stick it till I find something. The problem with this is that, although I do have time outside of my job, the commuting takes up most of the day. A 4 hour shift turns into a 7 and leaves me bugger all usable (read: when stuff is open) time. So I can’t call employers, I can’t go see recruitment agents (who, by the way, are the scum of the Earth), all I can do is fire off applications.

I’ve been unemployed before, it was horrible, but at least I could ride my bike. This is horrible and it’s taking up all my time and energy.

I feel trapped essentially.

I’m going to take my notice with me today and see how I feel.

I just need to do it, whatever it is. If I stay much longer I’ll have to go and see my Doc for some “treatment”…..probably a big hammer.

Thanks, by the way. I really appreciate all the help.

andeh

A few months ago I applied for that job with Back On Track and managed to get an interview. It seemed like there was only 2 interviewees, I didn’t get it. HOW FRUSTRATING IS THAT?! 😥

So close…

HantsNightRider
    Free Member

This

before doing any of that sit down and do the numbers.

How long can you go without earning?
    What are you skills and what else could you get?

If after thinking about it you are ready to quit ask for a meeting with your manager, explain the situation commute etc, job not worth it etc.

If you manage to get your work condensed into 2/3 days, try starting your own business in the other days.

Good luck fella

andeh

Current count is:

6 – leave

3 – stay and search

Obviously, it’s a decision only I can make, but you know, STATISTICS!

freddyg
    Free Member

If it’s the commute that’s killing you, and the job is “just” retail shop work. Get something closer to home – a bar job will pay similar to shop stuff.

I loved working in a pub when I was younger – the only stress was the mental arithmetic – but you don’t even need to do that any more. Get to chat to loads of people who want your attention.

During the day, you can work on your business start-up idea.

mrchrispy

+1 on the bar work.
    doesn’t sound like you are looking to CEO positions so bin it off and get something closer to home.

sbob
    Free Member

How would pay rent/bills with no job?

In fact, how do you pay rent/bills on 20hrs a week?

andeh

I’m still living with my parents and paying board, which I will continue to do from savings. I should be able to afford this till I find something. This job was only ever meant to be temporary till I found something better.

Gary_M
    Free Member

To be brutally honest you come across as a bit of a quitter so unless you’re prepared to waste a lot of time and money then maybe starting your own business isn’t for you.

I know a few folks who might be able to sort me out, wink wink saynahmore!

What do you mean? Work for cash in hand and avoid paying tax?

You work 20 hours a week and you’re mentally and physically exhausted? Honestly its a poxy job in a clothes shop and your general attitude probably doesn’t make it any better.

I’ve worked with people like you before, total nightmare to work with, you just drag everyone else down.

brooess
    Free Member

-I’ve worked there for nearly a year, it’s getting to me, causing depression, lethargy, self-loathing etc etc.

This is entirely within your control… why not choose to respond differently?

I got signed off with stress once – nearly had a breakdown – because I was so negative about my job situation (which although it was crap, wasn’t really that bad).

I learned a valuable lesson then, not to let myself get so wound up about a job…

But at the same time, you do need to find a job that suits your ambitions, passion and skills. I would focus on finding and/or creating that job, you’ll give yourself hope for a better future….

mactheknife

Go and read – Charles Bukowski – Post Office. there are some great tips in there for dealing with a shit job 🙂

pinetree
    Free Member

I’ve worked with people like you before, total nightmare to work with, you just drag everyone else down.

That’s a mighty claim to make about someone you’ve never met! I’d like to see anyone with more than half a brain-cell maintaining enthusiasm and interest in a job like that.
    I’ve been in similar situations, and it does get very demotivating. Once you’re in that slump it’s bloody difficult to get back out of, and everyone’s entitled to a bit of complaining now and then…

I’ve known Andeh for a few years now, and I honestly cannot think of a single person I know who is more creative, bright and naturally capable. I’d kill to have half the level of talent he has!

I know it doesn’t help much, but if I had a company (or was in a position to hire someone for the company I work for) he’d be the first person I’d be offering a job to, almost irrespective of the role itself. Someone as intelligent and innovative as Andeh would be an asset to any company.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s a mighty claim to make about someone you’ve never met! I

Not at all. He may be the nicest guy in the world but if you whinge about your job all the time then it gets everyone down. Looking at the ops history he posted a similar self pitying post 6 months ago.

timidwheeler

Quit.

I spent a week working for Madhouse during my summer holidays at university. It was dire. I left and cleaned hospital toilets instead. I was much happier.

andeh

To be brutally honest you come across as a bit of a quitter…..

Nobody who completes an architecture degree is a quitter, believe me. I chose not to continue to become a fully qualified architect because it wasn’t the right choice for me. I don’t see how getting out at a convenient point is quitting. I didn’t want to waste 4 years, and countless pounds, chasing a career which I knew I wouldn’t enjoy.

I know a few folks who might be able to sort me out, wink wink saynahmore! What do you mean? Work for cash in hand and avoid paying tax.

Please stop jumping to conclusions, you condescending ****. What i mean is, I have a friend who might be able to throw me a bone, and before you go running off to the Daily Mail, a taxable bone at that.

You work 20 hours a week and you’re mentally and physically exhausted? Honestly its a poxy job in a clothes shop and your general attitude probably doesn’t make it any better. I’ve worked with people like you before, total nightmare to work with, you just drag everyone else down.

I have a 20hr contract, I work more than that in overtime. Also, I’m possibly one of the more optimistic members of staff. Anyway, who said anything about complaining about my job? This all remains locked down while I’m at work, if someone complains, I complain back, that’s all.

Thank you for your input Gary, it’s been informative.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Please stop jumping to conclusions, you condescending ****

You also have anger issues to add to the rest.

Yawn

Gary_M
    Free Member

AdamW
    Free Member

Andeh – leave if it is doing your head in. Life’s too short. My partner is now clinically depressed because of his work situation and I am not certain he’ll work again, *if* he goes back.

(guessing) You’re young and will be able to get something else. Go out on your bike for a while. And if you’re mate can help you for a while in something more interesting then grab it.

Good luck!

sbob
    Free Member

The evidence is mounting and it does make you look like a right hand-shandyist Andy, so I’d wind your neck if I was you.

It’s not that easy to get a job in today’s climate, and even harder to get one that you’ll enjoy.
    Stick with the job until you find a better one, and enjoy every moment of smug when you hand your notice in. 🙂

dyls

Stop ruminating over it, if you are not getting anything positive out of it I’d move on as I assume apart from yourself you haven’t got any dependencies.

andyrm
    Free Member

Recruitment consultants(who, by the way, are the scum of the Earth)

This is a major issue you need to resolve with yourself. Looking down on and thinking of someone who can proactively push you into new work opportunities in this way is clearly visible to someone like a recruiter.

Like anyone in a sales type role, they become experts at “reading” people. Offend them by projecting this kind of attitude and you won’t get best help. Build an allegiance with a good recruiter and he/she will open lots of doors for you.

🙂

andeh

C’mon sbob, I asked quite a specific question, I was returned a very personally insulting and completely unconstructive reply with very little relation to the original post.

Now, if he’d have said “maybe you could focus on following-through with your actions and make sure you carefully weigh up the options before doing anything rash” or something I could work upon, that would have been helpful. Instead he has called me a quitter, a scrounger and stated that he hates people like me. I don’t understand what it is about this forum that makes people act so rudely. I’m sure in real life Gary is delightful, but it’s just not cool gong around practically declaring war on people with problems they clearly don’t understand.

Also, digging up past threads regarding my mental health…. Nice, real classy move.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Quit my job?’ is closed to new replies.