Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Quiet turbo trainer??
  • jsync

Is there such a thing? I have a cyclops mag trainer and it is very loud, granted I am using a slick tyre rather than a trainer specific one but even so it is noisy!

Thanks,

TiRed

How much do you want to spend? The direct drive Tacx and KICKR are silent. The older KICKR are not. Entry is about £700 but the are a lot more fun to ride than a wheel-on trainer so you will use them more and by that means they are better value for money.

momo

How much are you willing to spend? The new Wahoo KICKR models are supposed to be as quiet as it gets, as is the Tacx neo.

Edit, beaten by 40 seconds!

jsync

And what an expensive 40 seconds it was.

Only looking up to £200 max, so a long way off….

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

2nd hand rollers?

I got a set of the the adjustable resistance arion rollers, noisy, but not as irritating as a turbo. My cyclops mag was really loud though, replaced it with a Minoura hypermag which is much quieter.

TiRed

My kreitler rollers are not quiet on a stone suspended floor. But rollers are an option, just not a silent option.

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

The Stac Zero has no moving parts, the only sound will be your drivetrain

jsync

I don’t fancy rollers as I plan to use with trainer road or sufferfest. Quieter than the cyclops mag is a must, I accept it won’t be silent but I’ll be training at night when the toddler is in bed so something that sounds like a jet plane taking off if a no no. Are the fluid ones any better?

Alex

Any wheel on is going to be noisy. I bought the pre-upgrade version of the Tacx Flux. But that was still double your budget! They are a lot nicer tho. If you can apply the word ‘nice’ to sitting in a shed going nowhere.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

Not really what you are looking for, but also NOT quiet:

Tacx blue motion

That’s what I use on a daily basis in winter time. Low cost (ebay around 40 GBP), rugged, up to 950 Watt … and quite loud.

jsync

Hahaha.

In true STW style I think I may have just changed the scope. Having had a quick google I like the idea of one of the cheaper smart trainers and uploading gpx routes to it.

Such as:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/elite-qubo-digital-smart-b-fe-c-trainer/

Thoughts / advice?

Thanks,

andy4d

I have the tacx blue motion, yep not the quietest but i have the tacx trainer tyre on it an that does help. I also find when it is on a solid floor (our downstairs is concrete base) then it is way quieter than on a wooden floor (like upstairs).

TiRed

Elite smart trainers are well-respected and have possibly the most accurate power meter. Tacx were the first silent trainers, Wahoo the most robust road feel (flywheel weight). They have now converged on features and reliability. No issues with Elite, but I don’t think they are silent.

If I was spending again, I’d buy the new Wahoo KICKR Core. I’d also keep looking on their web shop for reconditioned versions (and hope). That’s where I bought my 2016 version and it’s been great (another 2 hr session tomorrow morning planned). From 2016 they came with a handle. This is a VERY GOOD THING, as they are all pretty heavy and moving them about is a pain.

lunge

Stealth ad, but if you’re in the midlands, I have a semi-smart Elite Turbi Muin that’s very quiet indeed. And I happen to be looking to sell it…

tpbiker
    Free Member

Tacx flux for 450 quid is direct drive and alot quieter than a wheel on trainer.not quiet, but most of noise comes from drive train.

jsync

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I’m sold on the smart trainers, I really like the idea of uploading a gpx and it increasing resistance with elevation. Due to budget the noise is probably less of an issue now 🙄. I’m going to have to figure out the setup once I know how it works but I assume it’ll be the cheaper elite or Tacx T2240.

fossy

tacx T2240, and its not noisy at all. Now the old ‘turbo fan’ ones were.

doordonot
    Free Member

tacx T2240

+1. Got mine on the carpet and it’s pretty quiet even when I’m out the saddle giving it the beans. Drive chain on the other hand sounds like a bag of spanners, which I suppose is the advantage of going with a direct drive.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Quiet turbo trainer??’ is closed to new replies.