Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Quickie Q on Spotify
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I do 90% of my Spotifing at work. Would I be better off using my iPhone (via company wifi) for audio quality as opposed to my desktop PC?

Fanks!

footflaps

What audio quality have you configured in Spotify itself?

derek_starship
    Free Member

*pauses and realises he has no clue*

FF – I didn’t know you could do this. Can you optimise for a said device?

footflaps

On the mobile versions (inc iPad) you have 3 options (64 kb/s, 128 kb/s and 320 kb/s which you can set for streaming and cached).

The default is low res, so you have (probably) 320 kb/s on your PC and 64 kb/s on your mobile device (unless you change it).

https://support.spotify.com/uk/learn-more/guides/#!/article/If-you-re-a-Premium-user-you-can-try-High-Quality-Streaming

iamsporticus
    Free Member

Not relevant but worth it for a laugh at my expense……

I occasionally use Spotify on my phone on its mid setting on roadtrips for a change to my downloaded stuff now and again – it uses 100MB an hour so its not to be taken lightly, however the sound quality through my car’s aux input is much better than standard streaming

Last night I picked up a take away and out of stupidity decided to listen to something different for the 10 minute journey back and then left my phone in the car still playing Spotify

I woke up in a sense of panic wondering how much charge my phone had, the answer was I chewed through 600MB till the battery died, thank the gods I didnt have a full charge else Id be bankrupt

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got unlimited data so have it on the highest quality on my phone (and pretty much tell it to download everything I listen to so it doesn’t pause if i drive through an area with no reception).

I’d never realised quite how low the quality of FM radio had gotten, I’d heard that Radio1 is now only ‘mastered’ (or whatever the radio term is) at 128kbs, but it sounds even worse than that when you actualy listen to them back to back! Didn’t FM used to be higher quality, I’ve got an old expensive FM seperate for my hifi in the attic and I don’t remember it being this bad!

the-muffin-man

^ @iamsporticus

If you download tracks to your phone you don’t use streaming data.

In Settings > Playback > Select Offline Mode.

footflaps

I mainly use the iPad version in places with no Wifi, so just used cached playlists at 320kb/s. The PC version caches about a Gb on your HD, so even when you think you’re streaming, it’s playing off the HD (assuming you listen to the same stuff).

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Quickie Q on Spotify’ is closed to new replies.