Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Quick STW opinion, is my neighbour being inconsiderate.
  • mdavids
    Free Member

Neighbour and his mate have been doing some building work over the weekend. It’s now 7pm on Sunday evening and we are still being badly disturbed by drilling, hammering and now a stihl saw in the back garden chopping brickwork. It’s completely impossible to relax.
    I’m interested in the STW opinion on this? Is he being an inconsiderate arse?

cb

yes

TheBrick
    Free Member

No. If it was every weekend for a year different story but carrying on so he can get to a good place to finish on a Sunday is reasonable

DickBarton

I’d say no…work until the job is done…

lunge

Borderline.
    7pm is about when you’d expect reasonable people to stop, certainly anything after 8pm is not on.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

I would say 9 ish is too late. However, do you have any frozen sausages to hand?

fitnessischeating
    Free Member

In the absence of more detail my vote is no.

mdavids
    Free Member

He’s in a good place to stop, his new doors and windows are in and the house is secure. He’s off work tomorrow so he can finish the job.

redmex
    Free Member

With what’s going on just now a lot of folks timing is out just now, I need a strobe put to my head and a wee tweek, weekends and through the week have merged, I get up at 5am some mornings and that ain’t normal although the sunny weather may be a cause

bruneep

what about two yappy dogs, everyday of this lockdown its yap yap yap yap. They will both be getting a frozen sausage inserted soon

mdavids
    Free Member

Yappy dogs, yes, he also has 2 of those. It’s interesting that so many think it’s OK, I personally wouldn’t dream of it, maybe 6 at latest on a weekday but a Sunday I’d be knocking it off at 4.

franksinatra

Nope, he is just finishing the job. Maybe he’s trying to finish it now so he’s not disturbing home workers tomorrow. 7pm is no problem unless if you have little kids. Let him crack on and perhaps pass him a virtual beer over the fence.

avdave2

I’d say how long do you think you’ll be his neighbour. I know the right to relax on a Sunday evening is the most fundamental human right there is but it might just be worth forgoing your inalienable rights for an ongoing life of peace and tranquility.

franksinatra

but a Sunday I’d be knocking it off at 4.

Genuinely curious about this, why 4pm, what happens in your house after 4pm? Do you all sit in quiet contemplation? I’m wondering if my neighbourly social compass is completely off. I would happily work away until 8pm unless if I thought there were sleeping kids nearby.

Woody
    Free Member

You have my sympathy. The arsehole 2 doors up took 2 days a couple of months ago to put up a trampoline and a step, finishing at 10 PM in the dark on both nights at the weekend.

I didn’t say anything as I thought he was so incompetent he must be on here somewhere 😉

convert

If it was every weekend for a year different story

this

TheDTs
    Free Member

Yes. Bit of knocking and banging but the stihl saw at this time is over the line IMO.

mdavids
    Free Member

I suppose I consider a Sunday evening to be a time most people would just be chilling out, a last bit of relaxation before the start of the working week.
    Just for a little background, he moved in a couple of months after us then spent the next 18 months completely renovating his house. He mostly kept to reasonable hours but we got pretty fed up with never having a peaceful weekend. We get on OK with him but he’s diy obsessed and depending on post corona job situation we’ll be looking to move

MartynS

A quick google suggests that different councils have different regulations, but basically power tool use on a Sunday should cease between 2-4pm

if this is happening over multiple weekends he’s being an arse. If it’s a one off let it slide.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sausages -> freezer.

NOW

mdavids
    Free Member

Unfortunately I only have refrigerated sausages, too flaccid for hammering

trail_rat
    Free Member

basically power tool use on a Sunday should cease between 2-4pm

Maybe it did but now rs not between 2-4 he’s started up again.

funkmasterp

Two days for a trampoline? I’m utterly incompetent at pretty much everything and it took me about two hours, if that, to build one.

As for the OP – If it’s a one off then I don’t see an issue. If it’s bothering you why not have a word with him. As for Sunday being relaxing, not around here. Sunday evenings are a time for sadness as it’s back to work the next day 😕

project
    Free Member

bruneep
    Subscriber
    what about two yappy dogs, everyday of this lockdown its yap yap yap yap. They will both be getting a frozen sausage inserted soon

Our neighbour has 1 yappy dog, called SHUT UP, and an invisible doggy freind called BLOODY SHUT UP, another neighbour has a strimmer,chainsaw,hedge trimmer,leaf blower,jetwash, and another yappy dog, all used one after each other nearly every day at the start of this shutdown, now gone quiet after another neighbour told him to get a life.

As for working late, site work is now allowed till 21.00 hrs according to boris the buffoon.

duncancallum

If it’s a rare occurrence I’d say anoying but let him finish.

He may be thinking it’s better to press on than make a load of noise if people are working from home

Superficial
    Free Member

It’s quarter to 9. If he hasn’t stopped in the next few mins I’d find some bombers. I’d have no second thoughts about working after 7pm until 9 ish. Maybe IABU?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s just one thing to do, turn the happy hardcore album volume to 11.

mdavids
    Free Member

Unfortunately the DIY noise hasn’t been a rare occurance in the 3 years we’ve lived next to each other. Like I mentioned in a previous post, he spent 18 months renovating his house, and because he mostly does the work himself he tends to spend all weekend and a couple of hours after work on an evening. Next was the 8 weekends spent building his shed. Then the purchase of 2 yappy rat- dogs who bark at us nearly everytime we set foot in our garden.
    So although the 7pm stihl saw is unusual I suppose he’s already worn out our good will to a certain extent.

sirromj

He mostly kept to reasonable hours but we got pretty fed up with never having a peaceful weekend. We get on OK with him but he’s diy obsessed and depending on post corona job situation we’ll be looking to move

Sounds inconsiderate to me and would wind me up too. I’d also find it difficult to approach him and politely request a bit of peace some weekends.

stumpyjon

Personally I’d knock off around 7pm on a Sunday, after that is a bit out of order.

CountZero

There’s a bloke over the road who builds race cars, banger and similar, so there’s a certain amount of banging, drilling and engines revving, but fortunately not in the evenings. There is a bloke lives in the flats the other side of my garden fence who has a really bad cough, though, and he has his window open, so it’s almost as bad as having a dog barking. I know he can’t help it, but it does get on our nerves somewhat. Pretty sure he’s the owner of two cats that come into my garden after the birds and crapping everywhere as well.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I’d draw the line at having a bloke crapping everywhere in my garden.

Kryton57

There’s a bloke over the road who builds race cars, banger and similar, so there’s a certain amount of banging, drilling and engines revving, but fortunately not in the evenings.

We had this and all was generally good for a couple of years with minor irritations, and actually it was quite nice to see the progress of a VW splitty they were restoring.  Then things ramped up as they started doing favours for mates, then got involved with a private recovery company.  We had trucks roaring up and down a residential street with cars parked either side, Trucks left running outside or next to our house and on one occasion a flatbed being repaired out the front at 1am.

We and several of our neighbours confronted the shouty swearing drivers and the owners of the lockup to be met with verbal abuse.  After phoning the police on one occasion, we were given advice to keep a diary and keep reporting the activity to the local council.  We witnessed several inspections and police visits thereafter.

Eventually they got evicted.   We also found out two of the recovery drivers are sons of our neighbours across the road – a family who have a trait of zero consideration for anyone else.

Anyway, the moral of the story is start polite and hopefully it ends there.   Pass the guy a beer, ask him what’s going on and how long he’s working for, as you’d like to sit out when he’s done.  I agree with the op, although it’s not the Law, weekends are for relaxing and especially on sunny days when we like to sit in our gardens a little consideration should be given.

derek_starship
    Free Member

We should adopt the German Quiet Time laws which prohibit use of all garden and other powered tools on Sunday.

I’d be getting twitchy if it went on after 7pm but not up to that time.

timbog160

How are they with Eton Mess?

bensales
    Free Member

Unfortunately the DIY noise hasn’t been a rare occurance in the 3 years we’ve lived next to each other. Like I mentioned in a previous post, he spent 18 months renovating his house, and because he mostly does the work himself he tends to spend all weekend and a couple of hours after work on an evening.

Assuming, like most, he works full-time, when should he be renovating his house?

I agree, going past 7pm on a Sunday evening is bordering on inconsiderate, equally people have to do jobs when they have time available to.

ogri
    Free Member

Yes,sounds like a total arse.Easy to get carried away when your nearing completion but one has to have respect for ones neighbours.I cant help thinking he’s a bit of a shit.
    Hope i’m wrong.

Cougar

Bastards next door to me have a habit of hammering and banging on the walls. I have to turn up the AV receiver even louder to drown them out.

bails

Easy to get carried away when your nearing completion

null

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Quick STW opinion, is my neighbour being inconsiderate.’ is closed to new replies.