Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Question for those that train with weights
  • sc-xc

Apologies for asking here, but after looking round the net for an active forum I fgured there were probably people here that could help.

I have been training seriously since June 2009, and for the first few months did a 4 day split:

[list]Day 1: Chest
    Day 2: Arms
    Day 3: Shoulders
    Day 4: Back & Abs[/list]

Saw some results, but got bored. Changed around November to a 3 day split:

[list]Day 1: Chest/Triceps
    Day 2: Biceps/Forearms/Back
    Day 3: Shoulders/Abs[/list]

(I usually commute to work a few times a week (19 mile round trip) and train kickboxing/play squash which looks after cardio and legs)

Now the question – am I best to keep with the 3 day split, or concentrate on isolating muscle groups (been looking at pyramid sets for chest for example) or even doing full body workouts?

Has anyone got a good upper body workout/split that I can do with bench/barbell/e-z bar/dumbbells/swiss ball etc

Cheers

deft
    Free Member

If you have access to a bar then squats and deadlifts are a must

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Depends what you want to do.

Get big – compound exercises, biggish weights, lots of food and lots of rest.

Get strong – compound exercises, BIG weights, low reps, eat lots and rest lots.

Isolation work will keep you fit but optimum growth is unlikely without steroids and compatible genetics.

Lots of other options/variations on themes.

I trained for strength in my youth, had a 528lb deadlift for 1RM at one point but still only 14 stone at 6 foot. Could have trained for size and been 17 stone and not been able to lift that.

High rep isolation stuff probably toned at 13-14 stone but weak as a kitten.

sc-xc

Cheers..!

A couple of reasons for training…

1. to help with kickboxing
    2. to look good

I hate to say it, but 2 is probably more important than 1 😳

I define quite easily, and don't want to be huge.

iDave
    Free Member

for kickboxing i'd dump the weights other than dumbells and get into a swissball and balance board regime. have a look for some ProBodX info.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Question for those that train with weights’ is closed to new replies.