Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 2010 Singlespeed World Champs – Rotorua New Zealand
  • SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

Entries to the 2010 Singlespeed Worlds in Rotorua, NZ, opened at midnight December 31…NZ Summer Time…
    Anyone can enter – you don't have to qualify,
    but a 1-speed bike will help on race day – October 23!

Great to see the entries start rolling in – Yuval Kushtan from Israel was first and gets his entry refunded.
    (Check out a video of singlespeeding in Yuval's home country).
    Entries are coming in from all over the world and it will be great to welcome all these people to Rotorua and New Zealand in ten months…
    So far, the most entries from any overseas country is from the USA.
    Hanging out with all these guys will be a blast, so enter now at http://www.sswc10nz.com
    A full website will be up and running soon – in the meantime keep up with the latest news on facebook…
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000003948263&ref=name
    • Don't want to race? Well, grab a Party Animal ticket and enjoy all the swag and festivities – perfect for partners, friends and family…

• The first Rotorua Bike Festival is taking shape.
    It will kick off, the weekend before, with the Whaka 100 on Saturday October 16…it's the ultimate challenge, a metric off-road century in the Whakarewarewa Forest. The Whaka 100 is a magic mix of fast and flowing and technical single track and forest roads.
    New Zealand's toughest MTB race. Got to be done…
    The Festival week will be a mix of music, media, good food and drink and a celebration of MTB…and there'll be Carolyn's Tiki Tour – the sights and smells of the Sulphur City, a cruise round some of Rotorua's landmarks on your bike…

• Ride Rotorua has the latest information about all things MTB in our town. Trails – dry and fast…just great summer ridinghttp://www.riderotorua.com
    cheers,
    Rotorua Singlespeed Society…

SSWC10NZ happily powered
    by the Pig & Whistle
    and Events and Venues Rotorua

Brainflex

Entered, Who else is up for this?

alexathome
    Free Member

I'm doing it, should be good. Although it goes sound a little bit too well orgainised for my liking, they even have SSWC10 socks. 😯

flip
    Free Member

Take a nose peg, it smells there, lots of sulphur steam and ploppy mud piles 😉

spacehopper

the smell goes away after a while when you get used to it…

checkout the polynesian spa there! its lovely! 😀

wish i was in NZ to take part in this!

SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

Latest news is on the facebook page – http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?…00000003948263
    We're also supporting 88BIKES – 1 bike for every 88 entries…http://www.88bikes.org/home/index.php
    Organized, yes, but still true singlespeeders – Most of us survived 2006 UCI Worlds…Intensive therapy does work…
    Still wearing my Napa socks!

Tricone
    Free Member

Sounds like fun – I will try to make it.
    Its interesting how the Whaka 100 is 'New Zealands toughest MTB race'. There seem to be quite a few of these around – The 125km Round Lake Hawea MTB race is also called NZs toughest. Then there is the Mt Peel marathon also billed as NZs toughest. Then there is the Alpine epic multi day race which is supposedly NZs toughest and finally there is the KiwiBrevet which at 1200km probably actually is New Zealands toughest MTB event.
    They breed us tough down here!

SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

…"tough is all in the mind…"
    Rotorua – The World’s Best Mountain Bike Trails…
    That’s what Australian Mountain Bike magazine is saying in the latest issue out this week in Australia and New Zealand.

AMB Editor, Chris Southwood, and the team were in Rotorua, in the heartland of New Zealand’s North Island, in mid-November 2009 and were impressed by the quality of the mountain bike trails and the hospitality of the locals.
    “We’d heard the whispers about the legendary singletrack in the Whakarewarewa Forest,” says Southwood, from AMB HQ in Sydney. “And we just had to go.”
    They trails were better than the rumours suggested.
    “Even the hype really doesn’t do the place justice,” Southwood continues. “What the lucky folk of Rotorua have right on their doorstep is truly world leading, with trails that are mesmerising, absorbing and just plain fun.”
    It wasn't just Rotorua's trails that impressed the AMB team.
    "Incredibly, the riding doesn’t end there – an hour’s drive took us to the magnificent, untouched isolation of Whirinaki Forest and to the shimmering edge of Lake Taupo’s Craters of the Moon and W2K track," adds Southwood.
    "Both are world-class destinations in their own right."

Although the main purpose of the trip was to experience the trails, the AMB team also enjoyed some other features of Rotorua, that make it a world-class adventure tourist destination.
    “In a few days we crammed in jet boating, a giant swing called The Swoop, bungy-jumping, kayaking off a waterfall and, of course, the infamous Luge.” Says Southwood with a big grin. “And the hospitality we received from the local mountain bike community was incredible. They welcomed us like family.”

The AMB issue has other local connections.
    The Rotorua photography is by Derek Morrison, who is back in New Zealand after a stint as AMB editor. Morrison is in partnership with Kashi Leuchs, New Zealand’s top cross-country rider of the last decade, in a new venture, the Adventure Media Group, based in Dunedin.
    The cover is by Rotorua photographer, Graeme Murray, and features another local, Gary Sullivan of Nzo dirtwear, who designs top class mountain biking clothing in a barn just north of town.

AMB will be back in Rotorua in October, for the 2010 Singlespeed World Championships.
    “I have to say that I’ve never really got singlespeeding,” says Southwood. “If you can have gears then why not. I mean, mountain biking is hard enough with them.”
    Recently, though, Chris saw the light.
    “The thing about singlespeeders is they do know how to have a very good time,” he adds. “Maybe, it’s because they suffer so much on the bike, but having a good party afterwards is big part of it.”
    Southwood also likes the attitude of singlespeeding – with top riders wearing costumes and a tattoo being the main prize for 1st man and woman across the line.
    There is even a 'party animal' entry for anyone who just wants to enjoy the entertainment without racing for friends, partners and family.
    “They never take themselves too seriously and have a sense of humour that is sometimes missing from mountain bike racing,” says Southwood. “That’s why I’m getting involved in October – even though I’m a bit baffled by the concept, I’ll be back in Rotorua for the Singlespeed World Champs and I know it’ll be a hell of a good time.”
    He will join hundreds of other riders from all over the world at the event.
    “Entries opened at midnight New Zealand Summer Time on New Year’s Eve and they’ve been flowing in ever since, with around 500 so far,” says Dean Watson, from the event team.
    “The biggest overseas contingents are from the USA, Australian and UK, but we’ve also had entries from all over Europe and from South Africa, Israel, Singapore and the Philippines.”
    The timing of the publication of the AMB issue was perfect, too.
    "Our full website went live at midday today," says Watson. "Every issue of AMB is read by over 70 thousand Australian mountain bikers so it's a great way to help get the word out."

The 2010 Singlespeed World Championship race is hosted by the Rotorua Singlespeed Society and is on Saturday October 23.
    It is part of the week-long Rotorua Bike Festival that starts on Sunday October 17 with the Whaka 100 mountain bike classic.

• More from Chris Southwood on Rotorua and the AMB Rotorua cover.
    • SSWC10NZ Media: Graeme Simpson – singlespeed@riderotorua.com
    SSWC10NZ happily powered by
    the Pig & Whistle and Events and Venues Rotorua

SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

That Kiwi Brevet sounds really hard!
    Single day MTB race – Whaka 100 is pretty damn tough – with thousands of metres of climbing and a lot of very technical singletrack – even a lot of the forest roads require a lot of skill – 60kms on some of them is pretty dicey…

thelooseone

I've entered – just gotta get there now…

charliedontsurf

If we get a dozen or so to chip in – can we charter a Lear jet. Or maybe a cessna?

Would love to go. Really would but the family will want to come and it suddenly goes from a cheap roughing it jaunt to a £10,000 hotel trip. Apparently my family want a hire car rather than to ride everywhere.
    And a bivi bag is also not favoured over a hotel.

And so what happens: due to their gouregois lust for luxury we all get nothing. I blame Billy Butlin for spoiling the youth with his luxury holidays.

epicyclo

charlie the bikemonger – Member
    …And a bivi bag is also not favoured over a hotel.

Don't be a cheapskate Charlie. Get each of them their own bivvie bag. 🙂

The charter idea isn't bad. Even a group booking. How many of us are signed up?

SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

Under 100 places left for international riders as of February 23.
    Enter now at http://www.sswc10nz.com

SSWC10NZ
    Free Member

9.01PM Sunday March 21 – places for NZ riders now closed and under 50 left for internationals – under 3 months from opening entry and with 7 months to go till race day.
    http://www.sswc10nz.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘2010 Singlespeed World Champs – Rotorua New Zealand’ is closed to new replies.