• This topic has 8 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Del.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Question for the Orange 5 owners – Mech cable fitting
  • carlos
    Free Member

A riding buddy has dropped me off his Five as it needs complete new drive chain, not got a problem removing and refitting it all. But, any tips on removing and re-installing the rubber frame grommets and feeding the outer through the frame/rear swing arm.

On my Nomad the soft rubber grommets simply easy out and its got internal tubes so fitting the outer is a piece of cake.

I’m assuming after the cable is removed,the grommets just ease out ? (no need to remove cable on the Nomad), and its about finding the technique/angle. Refitting the cable might be a bit trickier because there are no internal tubes, so its going to be a patience game whilst feeding it through.

So, any tips??

Cheers
    Carlos

trisysjoint

Get one of these….
    https://www.tweekscycles.com/uk/rockshox-reverb-stealth-barb-connector-srmtls815066030/?istCompanyId=56f52ebf-49f3-492a-9cbb-cb6ab0fc1bf0&istItemId=-xrpwpqalxm&istBid=t&gclid=CjwKCAiA7vTiBRAqEiwA4NTO6xm4JXTfSIpYPntKETu6q6RHYSzfnGsbcjhWaewZqpWe_PMZh0-jPhoCPNgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

It will make your life a whoooole lot easier.
    The rubber grommets do come out but they are a fiver from orange for some new ones. Depending on how old they are and how degraded the rubber is depends on how easily (whether at all) they come out in one piece.
    Use the tool in the link above to screw into one end of the old cable outer and then into the end of the new so that you can pull it through as you pull the old one out.

Otherwise it’s a very frustrating game of chase the thread with the hoover/try to feed a cable through/pick out the inner from in the swingarm…..it’s a nightmare !

Other than that it’s easy 🙂

lowcogger
    Free Member

Ive just fully stripped and rebuilt 2 fives.i use the piece of string and hoover pipe method to get the new outers through the frame but if youre only replacing drive train can`t you just leave the outers in situ?

carlos
    Free Member

trisysjoint – Ahh, of course I can use the Reverb connector to attach the old and new outer and a small wrap of tape. Don’t know why i didn’t think of that. Bikes about 12 months old so rubber should be in reasonable nick, I might try warming it a little first (sit it next to radiator).

Lowcogger – For the sake of a few quid its a no brainer to replace the inner/outer at the same time. I was just a little unsure of the easiest way to do it

Cheers

andybrad

thread over old inner. otherwise its a bastard

chestrockwell

Another option if you want to fully remove the outer so you can easily take out the grommets is to snip the end off the cable then leave just that in place, removing the outer. Then use the cable to guide the new outer through. From my experience the modern grommets are more of a pain to refit than the older ones but last longer and it can be done.

Del

spray/wipe the new outer with lube, pull the old inner, use an offcut of new inner and feed half in to the old, half in to the new, and push the old one out with the new one ( front to back ). tape the outers together if you’re feeling a bit leary.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

The newer grommets can be a pain but smere some vasalene on them and they slide in very easily.
    As above for the cables slide new inner in old outers first
    New frames come with straws to feed inner cable but the few times they’ve not been there I’ve used a strong magnet to locate the inner cable through the frame

Del

fwiw you can get grommets from any electrical factors. i bought a pack of 5 from maplin for about a quid, though obviously not an option now. RS supply to individuals these days i think.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Question for the Orange 5 owners – Mech cable fitting’ is closed to new replies.