Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Query For The Civil Servants…
  • nuke

If your moving from one central government department/agency to another at the same grade, on joining the new department would you expect to maintain any milestones in salary you’ve accrued in the previous department/agency or be on the starting salary for that grade?

Just can’t find an answer to this. Assume move is not managed/surplus/etc but as part of a normal CS recruitment campaign

bearnecessities

It’s classed as continuous employment, but you will probably transfer across salary if it is higher than min of new department.

You will also adopt the t&c of the new department, generally most important for pensions etc.

(Edited twice because I really should read post properly 🙂 )

bearnecessities

I work in government IT, hence double post.

williamnot
    Free Member

As above, generally if you are moving between departments you would join on the grade minimum. especially important to consider if you are moving to or from one the departments which still maintains pay progression

geoffj

It will be negotiable.

jam-bo

i’d expect at the minimum a level transfer or I wouldn’t be moving anywhere.

finbar
    Free Member

It will be negotiable.

😆

Clearly we work in very different departments, or at very different grades…

nuke

Thanks for the responses 🙂

Disappointing as it doesn’t encourage mobility between departments: you could be doing a similar job with similar skills but be right back to the bottom of the payscale.

If your annual leave had increased to the maximum after 10 years, any idea if this would be carried over?

It will be negotiable

Yeah, but it will be a very short negotiation “Can I start above the bottom of the payscale range?”, “No”, “Ok, thanks”

geoffj

It depends who will benefit. If they are short and you have valuable skills and experience to offer then of course it becomes a negotiation. If you want it for your own reasons and they could fill the vacancy more cheaply in another way then you have to go with what they offer.
    Just don’t accept that there will be no negotiation.

bearnecessities

Nuke, sorry I was in meeting 🙂 when I replied and edited twice.

To clear it up, if you are applying for an internal CS vacancy at the same grade (i.e not an pubic vacancy) the probability is that if you pay in your current department is higher than the minimum of the department that you are moving to, then that will be honoured.

The only reason I say probably, is because I’ve not know of an instance when that hasn’t been the case in 13 years of service, but I’m not an HR expert.

Regarding your A/L entitlement, you are still classed as being ‘continually employed’ so your time served should be carried across.

The most important thing is whether you really want to laterally move to an OGD. Yes, pay may be higher, but that’s a bit of a short term view, unless you have minimal experience in your home department already, or have a real desire to work in the new department.

There is a lot to be said for knowing the department you work for when sticking you head up for opportunities, but also helps you develop an understanding of the particular part of the public you work for & what they need (and therefore help you in your day to day decision making of what works/doesn’t work) I’m a big believer in the public servant thing 🙂

Some terms can be negotiable (excess fares etc) and you can get clarity on everything else from the vacancy holder, or their HR, after you’re offered a post.

Good luck whatever you decide.

scotroutes

What were you told when you asked at the interview?

MoreCashThanDash

Current moves between agencies/departments you are expected to start on the bottom of the new guys payscale. It may then possibly become an area for negotiation.

I say possibly – I’ve had to reject two jobs I’ve been offered in the last couple of years because they would not match my existing salary.

tinribz
    Free Member

Last year took on some new CS staff, one asked for a higher starting salary based on experience. They weren’t the most experienced of the bunch but they got it, those that never asked started on the min. Discretion was limited and decisions had to be made at director level.

bearnecessities

Current moves between agencies/departments you are expected to start on the bottom of the new guys payscale.

Sorry MCBD, but that is not the expectation at all.

MoreCashThanDash

Well, it is within HMRC, and it is with the Land Registry. I would have had to transfer over on a level EO transfer to the bottom of their EO payscale, which would have cost me £1-2k a year. Didn’t fancy a 5-10% paycut in this era of less than 1% pay rises.

It is now often included in the job details on the CS Jobs website as well, that the starting salary on a level transfer will be the bottom of the scale.

You may not believe me, but I have copies of adverts and emails that can confirm I’m not making it up.

bearnecessities

EDIT: Meh.

withersea
    Free Member

I’ve between Departments and the norm would be to move on the same amount unless you are under at which point they will move you up to the minimum of their scale. Depending on which t&c’s you are own you might end up loosing some holiday rights as the new ones aren’t as good as the old. If in doubt check with them.

If applying for a job at DWP good luck waiting a response or an accurate response. They sent me a welcome letter 18 months after leaving…I’d been there 11 years…

csb

I’m with bear here, losing money is not my experience. I recall that it’s a principle that you don’t.

You’ll be on at leat the minimum for that grade and location, e.g London weighting. If that brings you a rise, nice. And if you come from a higher paid dept, you start on the scale at the point above your current salary.

MoreCashThanDash

Either they lied to me, or I’m lying to you.

Or things still vary dramatically across departments.

nuke

Thanks again for the replies.

Bearnesscessities – it was an external campaign (level 4) iirc if that has a bearing

I’ll be putting the question to them but the new department is a lower pay band for thd grade so if i lost the milestones as well, id be looking at circa 12-15% drop in wages for the same grade 🙁

…think the job would be very interesting which makes the decision very hard

nick1962
    Free Member

You are a civil servant and come on a cycling forum to ask for advice because you don’t know the T&C of the vacancy in the civil service that you have applied for and how it will affect you. Really?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Query For The Civil Servants…’ is closed to new replies.