Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Queen’s Gambit
  • creakingdoor
    Free Member

Anybody watching/watched it?

beamers

Yup, two episodes in. Really enjoying it.

dannybgoode

Yes, started Ep 1 and really enjoying it. It only I could get an hour to myself and the tv to actually properly get through it 🙂

GavinB

Yup, watched it last week – pretty good

DrJ

And me – watched 4 episodes and enjoying it.

Interesting review …
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/nov/12/check-her-out-how-netflix-hit-the-queens-gambit-thrills-with-fashion

(How long before someone says that the chess games are not realistic 🙂 )

binners

3 episodes in and it’s absolutely brilliant!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Up to 4 and totally engrossed.
    Never seen Anya Taylor-Joy until last weekend when she played a quite different character in The New Mutants. I think she’ll go far.

BillOddie

Watched it last week, loved it.

It’s incredibly well acted and well done IMHO.

mrmoofo

Must be just me -it’s dull and cliched…
    And everything it signposted before it happens.

nuke

Really enjoying it… trying to pace ourselves so we don’t just binge it

edhornby

It’s telly so there’s always a limit on realism – but at least having Kasparov as a consultant helps and let’s face it, none of us are grandmasters so who are we to argue. I like it.

zilog6128

Must be just me -it’s dull and cliched…

yup, it’s shite, just a poor copy of all the other chess dramas that’ve been on telly lately

myti
    Free Member

Love it!

martinhutch

How long before someone says that the chess games are not realistic

Most of the games are real recorded Grandmastery encounters.

yup, it’s shite, just a poor copy of all the other chess dramas that’ve been on telly lately

I mean, they didn’t even spend a night in Bangkok. Total rubbish.

dogbone

I really enjoyed it, though I did think it was a horror series to start with.

kennyp
    Free Member

If you can find it anywhere, Queen of Katwe is a lovely feel good chess film. Based (admittedly quite loosely) on a true story.

If you do watch it, watch the credits too. A nice touch (you’ll see what I mean).

longdog
    Free Member

I watched it the other week and really enjoyed it. Just took it for what it was, a TV programme, and went with it. Liked the characters

doom_mountain

Thoroughly enjoyed this. It appeared just as I started furlough again, perfect timing.

Reminded me of chess club at school (yep, that’s how cool I was).

DrJ

“How long before someone says that the chess games are not realistic”

Most of the games are real recorded Grandmastery encounters.

Yeah, I was being ironic or some clever thing like that 🙂

poltheball
    Free Member

Finished it last night – wife turned to me and commented “that must’ve been really good – I’ve just watched over 7 hours of chess without being bored”

wooobob

It’s one of the best things we’ve watched for ages. For the first few episodes I found myself anticipating that someone would try and do her over, or do something horrible; I think because cynical, horrible characters are so ubiquitous in lots of modern TV. This didn’t have them, and it felt refreshingly different. It was also stylish, well-produced and pretty gripping in parts.

molgrips
    Free Member

I watched it. To be honest, I was unimpressed by the storyline. Girl plays chess, is really good. That’s about it. All the major events in her life are basically summarised – issues appear and are then resolved almost immediately without drama.

Having said that, it was watchable in part because of that – it was stress-free. But I have to admit that the main reason I watched it all was how gorgeous the show is, and if I’m honest with myself 80% of that was how gorgeous she is. And the chess is kind of interesting.

iolo
    Free Member

I enjoyed it but in my opinion it was a bit too long. 7 episodes was too much.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Shouldn’t this be on the Netflix thread?

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Just watched the bit where she **** (no spoiler) in episode seven.

Is that the end?

I liked it as chewing gum for the brain but it seems to have ended with no more conclusion, much like each episode seems to drift along happily without any real purpose.

Still liked it but a bit confused as to why

jam-bo

Started well but seemed to lose its way a bit.

mudpackerdan
    Free Member

I really enjoyed this. Something different, to me anyway. For some reason I thought it was some sort of period drama so I was pleasantly surprised 😂

neilnevill
    Free Member

Yep binged over the last week, wife and I loved it.

LittleNose
    Free Member

Yeah, we watched it last week and really enjoyed it. Good production, actors, and pacing kept us glued to our seats

jim25

We are enjoying it in our house, infact it’s the first thing I’ve watched for a long time that I haven’t looked at my phone at all during it

CountZero

I’d like to watch it, but I can’t see the point subscribing for the occasional series, same as Amazon Prime, as I already have Sky with movie channels.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Just finished it.
    Most gripping thing I’ve seen in ages and I don’t know why.
    She is obviously attractive but EVERYTHING looked so good. The soundtrack was excellent. I really hope there will be as many attempts to clone this as there are with all the scandi drama crap.

doomanic

It was great. Watched it over 3 evenings and was sad when I finished it. It’s not the usual sort of show I’d watch but it really gelled with me.

fasthaggis

Just finished it.

Yup,same here. 🙂

Absolutely superb,and one of the best last episodes in a series I have watched in a long time.

The detail in some of the shots was beautiful.

Northwind

martinhutch

I mean, they didn’t even spend a night in Bangkok. Total rubbish.

I was going to ask if it’s a show with everything but Yul Brynner. But I won’t now.

plus-one

Enjoyed it and as mentioned beautiful to watch.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The detail in some of the shots was beautiful.

The multi image screen in the US champs in ep5 was so spot on for the year that I almost had a little sex wee.

fasthaggis

The outfit she wore at the end and who she  is with in the final scene is brilliant.

Rainy day up here so we went round the Mary Quant exhibition at the V&A , Beth would have loved it 🙂

DavidB
    Free Member

This deserved a much bigger clap than it got

molgrips
    Free Member

I’d like to watch it, but I can’t see the point subscribing for the occasional series, same as Amazon Prime, as I already have Sky with movie channels.

Depends if you want dross or loads of superbly intelligent and well written series.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Queen’s Gambit’ is closed to new replies.