Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Quantocks
  • Esme
    Free Member

(Apologies for starting a new thread, but all the others seem to be “Closed to new replies”)

In a few weeks, I’m off to Holford for a some riding and walking (yay, lucky me!). The cottage has no parking, so I would normally leave the car in the Bowling Green car park for the duration. But . . . I’ve just had an email from the holiday company, suggesting there’s no overnight parking allowed there.

Anyone know if this is correct, please? Is there a locked barrier? I’d be quite happy for my car to be locked in overnight, but don’t wish to upset anyone.

roger_mellie

There wasn’t a barrier last time I was there, but even if there was one now, I suspect ‘no overnight parking’ is meant to discourage people car camping. There are only a few homes near the car park.

sheck

There is no barrier…

Not sure I’ve ever seen parking enforcement here, although the rangers were out a bit during Lockdown…

Seems calmer now and will probably be even calmer by then

andylc
    Free Member

I can’t imagine it being an issue, there’s no barrier and no enforcement there. As per previous I imagine the only thing they’re not keen on is people trying to stay there overnight.

gazzab1955

You could try contacting the Quantock Rangers for advice on the car park – https://www.quantockhills.com/meet-the-team

oldfart

If you needed any help with guiding let me know.

Esme
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Good suggestion to contact the rangers, gazzab.

And thank you for the guiding offer, oldfart – I’ve just sent a PM.

chakaping
    Free Member

This is topical, I’m gonna be in the area at the weekend.

Was gonna head to Triscombe and use Trailforks to find enduro-y trails, but are there any other recommended highlights?

Esme
    Free Member

The good news is EVERY trail on the Quantocks is lovely, and worth riding. Some are fast and grassy, others are rocky and a bit more technical.

One possible introduction is the Vertebrate “Classic route” which recommends Weacombe, Smiths and Somerton Combes as the “best” descents. PM me with an email address, and I’ll send you a gpx.

Holford Combe, and Shepherds Combe dropping from Bicknoller Post into Hodders Combe are (in my opinion) absolutely essential.

Other folks rave about Bincombe (I’ve only walked up it, in thick mud) and Frog Combe.  I particularly like the fast descent heading north off Dowsborough Hill (easy) and the Old Devils Galloping Path (rocky).

It’s all good, so have a superb weekend.  You’ll probably become a regular visitor, like me!

chakaping
    Free Member

Good stuff cheers Esme 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

A Quantocks Hello was a very informative thread, but unfortunately is now locked.

jonostevens
    Free Member

As others have said, there’s no barrier at the car park. There is also a bit of space on the road just before the car park too, that often has cars parked.

It has definitely gotten quiet again. The hills were swamped last year, but everything has settled back down. I think maybe the Qs were used a lot whilst Wales was closed.

@chapaking – Triscombe is ace, it’s kind of the cherry on the cake. All the runs go into Cockercombe, with the flowier trails starting to the north off of the road, and the steeper ones are south of the Cockercombe.

That said, it’s a shame to come to the Quantocks and just ride Triscombe, so would definitely recommend exploring the northern combes. Pretty much anything downward is fun and the trails are running really well at the moment.

Foxy Bean at Adscombe does brill cake and coffee.

ajantom

Other folks rave about Bincombe (I’ve only walked up it, in thick mud)

Rode it at the weekend, it’s lovely. Not technical, but proper fast, flowy goodness.

and Frog Combe

Again, rode it last weekend, short and sweet. One of my favs.

+ Stert and Slughterhouse Combes.

In fact most of them are ace 🙂

Esme
    Free Member

Okay . . . so apparently the Housekeeper told the Cottage Owner who told the Property Manager who then told the Admin Team, who sent me the email . . . there’s now a sign saying “No Overnight Parking”.

I also contacted the Ranger Team (as suggested by gazzab), who replied:
         “I know that the landowners here were having problems with overnight campers and vehicles being left for periods of time and so they may well have spoken to surrounding tourist facility providers.”
    and suggested I ask the holiday company (which I’d already done).

I’ll investigate further, as I really don’t wish to leave my car in the lane – nor do I want to upset any locals.

csb

You’ll probably find some of the locals park their cars in there overnight (when they’re visitng their 2nd homes).

Esme
    Free Member

I’m now told that the Bowling Green car park is owned by the National Trust, so presumably there are similar “No Overnight Parking” signs at other parking spots on the Quantocks.

( If anyone thinks I should just park in the lane . . . no, I wouldn’t be comfortable with that. Back in the summer, my bike buddy got her vehicle hit by an idiot driver, whilst parked outside our holiday cottage in a private no-through lane. So I’m not going to leave my car on a comparatively busy public road for a week. )

jonostevens
    Free Member

I would just leave it in the car park. I’m not sure where else you’re expected to park when renting a holiday cottage without a car parking space.

Where exactly is the cottage, if you don’t mind me asking?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Quantocks’ is closed to new replies.