Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Quality XC race tyres at a reasonable price?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Do they exist?

For a 29er? Looking for something about 500g per tyre. Good compounds, tubeless compatible and £30 EACH TOPS..

Moon on a stick? My car tyres are only £80 for a 4×4. I’m not paying £55 per tyre that a lot of bike manufacturers want now!

Trimix
    Free Member

Moon on a stick.

philjunior
    Free Member

Moon on a stick.
    You’re not racing your car.

You might manage to find some of the Schwalbe Evo (pre-addix) kicking about, but I couldn’t last time I looked.

sr0093193
    Free Member

Bontrager team issue XR1 / XR2.

teamslug
    Free Member

Vittoria Peyote and Barzo?.

rp16v
    Free Member

mitas charybdis td…. folding,tubless dual compound 520grams each(27.5×2.0) £33 each

rp16v
    Free Member

or go for the zefyros tdi which i use myself but they are £38 each but prefer the tread pattern

thomthumb
    Free Member

specialized fast trak. never used them but they look decent.

onewheelgood

You’re going to struggle with that weight. Even in an unfashionably skinny 2.1 something like a Rocket Ron (described by Schwalbe as “super lightweight”) is still 650g in LiteSkin, which most STWers reckon is only slightly more robust than wet tissue paper. So on weight alone, yes, moon on a stick.

philjunior
    Free Member

The vittorias look good, the problem is that the top of the line ones are £40+.

fatmax

<span style=”color: #444444; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Vittoria Peyote and Barzo (and the Saguaro) – anyone real life experience of them?  They look great and sensible price – £32 at Evans. What conditions have they been good in? </span>

philjunior
    Free Member

They’re definitely a dry conditions tyre, but thunder burt in 29×2.1 is 510g and £40 at CRC for the Addix compound.

I reckon it’s as close as you’d get. I’m typically a bit annoyed at the pricing in the MTB industry (being pretty much driven by what people will pay), but there are a lot of variations on tyre models, and so (relatively) low volumes do justify the costs to some extent.

Plus the tyre is pretty important to having a fast bike.

Keva
    Free Member

as above the Bonty XR2s are a good tyre. WTB Nano race might be worth a look if you can find anyone still stocking them. They’re definitely light but the trade off is they’ve thin sidewalls which can make them vulnerable depending on the terrain, and they need high pressures.

Kryton57

Probikekit have Barzo TNT’s 29 x 2.25 for £27.  Good for the front.

chilled76
    Free Member

How much more flimsy is the liteskin Ralph vs the Snakeskin?

Kryton57

<span style=”color: #444444;”>How much more flimsy is the liteskin Ralph vs the Snakeskin?</span>

Shitloads.  Personally I never take the risk, I’d rather do a few extra intervals to equalise the extra 40g or whatever it is with Watts.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Another vote for Vittoria here, barzo, Mezcal or peyote.

The Mezcal last for ever and are really grippy for what tread they have on them. The Peyote is grippy and clears well but doesn’t last very long if riding on hard pack & tarmac. Barzo is like a RR or X King and is an ace front tyre and great out back when it’s muddy.

philjunior
    Free Member

Merlin have the Thunderburt Evo at 25 quid (in liteskin which fwiw I would run on the front but not on the back of a hardtail.) (although I don’t think I’d run a Thunderburt on the front)

chakaping
    Free Member

500g for a 29er tyre would be a bit scary.

I just got a pair of folding Conti X-Kings for £10 each off Planet X.

The 2.4in weighs just under 750g on my scale, so the 2.2in (same price) would be a bit lighter.

It being PX, the details of the compound and casing are a bit sparse, but hey… £10 a pop.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I have a couple of the Vittoria Barzo’s (mainly as they were free!) on my HT in the summer – I’ve been really surprised how good they were for xc duties.

Bit rubbish when it got wet, but they have been relegated for the winter for something a bit bigger \7 grippier 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP if you really believe a tyre like that will have a significant impact on your results then good luck.

mattbee

I’ve been running Mezcal for a good few months now & am pretty impressed with them.
    They are the poncey G+ ones though so a bit over your budget.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have a couple of non snake skin Ralphs.. 2.2 on  a 29er weighs around 515 grams. I would avoid for anything remotely considered rocky, and they really are far too flimsy for day to day use. Unless weight is critical I’d get something more robust in future, even if they weighed 100 gm more

ernie

For the past two seasons I’ve sworn by Bontrager tyres. Xr2 on the front and xr1 rear. Or just xr2 pair if it’ soggy out. I haven’ punctured or ripped a tyre yet. Not the lightest but certainly the most reliable.

swoosh
    Free Member

I was looking at the Vittoria Barzo tyres for general cc duties, i.e. not racing. Want some 29ers in 2.25 size but can’t find any in stock in the UK, only lordgun which is actually an Italian company so you get charged by your bank for paying in Euros. ☹️

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 12px;”>OP if you really believe a tyre like that will have a significant impact on your results then good luck.</span>

Kryton57 MKII?

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Quality XC race tyres at a reasonable price?’ is closed to new replies.