Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Q for the framebuilders cy, Brant
  • saladdodger
    Free Member

In the past framebuilders have said that gears nowadays use a 57mm(i think)chainset spaceing

What do they mean by that please can anyone explain

The reason for me asking is I have just rebuilt a old S/works steel frameset and the gears are not to good in that the chain keeps dropping to the granny ring when in the bottom gear.

ta in advance

sillyoldman

Sounds like your BB axle is too long (assuming it’s not a HTII type chainset.

Standard chainlines are 47.5mm and 50mm. Pre-HTII set-ups tended to use 47.5mm unless there was a clearance issue which required a 50mm chainline.

HTII uses 50mm so that it can accomodate all.

The figure relates to the distance from the centre of the BB shell to the middle ring.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Chainline? Is it the distance from the centre of the BB, to the middle ring or something? Less on Road bikes?

Oh, I don’t know. I dare say someone here will, though!

[Edit] Haddunt seen the above post, I was typing this!

saladdodger
    Free Member

SOM

yes I am using a HT11 chainset and I was thinking of swappping a spacer from the drive side to the non drive side

Ta for the measurement correction

sillyoldman

Weird you should need to on that frame – usually just on bikes with super short chainstays.

No problem with doing that other than your stance will be offset a couple of mm – but could any of us feel that??? Dunno….

saladdodger
    Free Member

SOM
    The chainstays do not seem that long but looking at the chainset it does appear to be a bit far out from the chainstays(its a 1995 frameset). I will give it a go tomorrow and let you know.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

you can compensate a couple of mm by slidig your cleats arround on your shoes if its a problem.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

73 mm shell on that frame, if your trying to fit a 68mm might make some difference.I’d get correct bb for your chainset and leave cleats well alone(thats if there set up correctly). what chainset are you using ? i had a s works steel an used a few different c/sets might be able to shed some light

saladdodger
    Free Member

Mr Frosty

So you know the frameset, I have had mine in the shed for 8 years and decided to ressurect it. By hell it is fast but with a 1″ steerer its stuck to rigid forks so it will be for mostly road use and its nicer to ride than my Litespeed road bike. Hard to believe I used to race in the mid 90’s on a rigid bike, oh my am I getting soft.

yep its a 73mm bb shell, I am using a lx ht11 crankset with 1 spacer on the drive side which I will swop over today will I realy notice 2.5mm of chaiset shift. There is no way I willl adjust the cleats because it will be wrong for my othere bikes.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Unless I am much mistaken, neither Cy nor Brant are framebuilders, involved in framedesign yes …

speaker2animals

Me and my mates did the Lakelands Loop tour in 95 on fully rigid bikes. We had done lots of training so were fit enough but hadn’t done enough off roading to perfect technique. No wonder we were falling off all over the place. It’s certainly much “easier” these days on full sussers (or even HTs). Mind you I’m not so sure how easy carrying my FS up to top of Black Sail Pass would have been. It was hard enough with a weeks pack and a normal frame as it was.

Having said that I’m planning on doing a race on my rigid SS in summer on Cannock Chase to get the feel of my first race back. Yes at time it was a rigid geared bike, but after about half a mile the mud had rendered my block useless in all but the largets outer sprocket. So was only a three speed.

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Yeh i had 1, raced on it from 95 ish, came up v light with front sus. think with that chainset its 113 bb, be surprised how much 2.5 mm will make (joke in there somewhere) have you got the gray frame ?. wish i got a new one the last year they made them in the team red 🙄

Jackass123456789
    Free Member

Marzocchi do a 1″ steerer suspension fork by the way!!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=22693

mrmo
    Free Member

the marzocchi will be far to long and trash the handling. I have a Bonty Black crown Englund Judy at home waiting to go back on a bike. and i have a black crown indy waiting to come off. The other Bonty has a 1″ Magura, i don’t know if they still do them, but they were about a couple of years ago.

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sorted the gears are now ok by shifting the spacer from the driveside to the non driveside2.5mm makes all the differance

Yes I have a grey S/works with 1″aheadset steerer (and ti stem) the forks are very short and new forks suspension are far too long so it can stay rigid and on the road. In my early 30’s being shaken to bits was the norm in my late 40’s I am too soft and no more.

Its still a thing of retrotastic beauty though

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Q for the framebuilders cy, Brant’ is closed to new replies.