Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Putting new roof on house. Advice please.
  • lotto
    Free Member

Looking at putting a new roof covering on my house. Any advice before I start asking for quotes etc? Currently covered by rose tile. Go for same again or is there a better alternative?

lesgrandepotato

Fancy a loft conversion? Probably easier to engineer it while it’s naked.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Rose tile? As in rosemarys? Are you thinking full roof with rafter strip or lath and felt strip saving the old tiles. Can cause planning issues if you change to a new tile in conservation areas etc. Also loadings can change with different materials.

Vented dry ridge, dry verge, nice new soffit, fascia and gutter whilst youre at it?

lotto
    Free Member

Yes Rosemary tiles I believe. They are just straight onto the wood below. No felt etc. It is an old house. Hadn’t considered facias.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Quite a few options really. You need to get some decent local roofers on board for some quotes and options.

lotto
    Free Member

I know I’m not in a conservation area so I’m hoping anything goes. Is traditional slate a good choice?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Chinese, Spanish or.. Welsh. Your wallet will tell you all you need to know about slate. Did you not like the look of the rosemarys?

lotto
    Free Member

I don’t mind the Rosemary. I was just wondering if there was something that was particularly better. I wouldn’t mind replacing them with the same. I have a lot of cracked ones that leak. I’m assuming in the past someone has tried to clean the moss from them and caused damage.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Truth be known modern composite slates are brilliant but aren’t real. There’s eco slates made from recycled plastic, you have the option of solar panels etc etc. The choice and price point really is yours, a good quality breathable felt fitted by a good quality roofer who knows his stuff is what you’re after. Firstly it needs to look right, hence putting concrete flat pan tiles on an 1820s stone built cottage would look shit and then I say it’s about a good quality roofer who knows how to set out to correct gauges can work lead flashing properly etc etc.

Choice really is yours.

andybrad

Had mine done last year.

Rosemarys added 15k to the cost.

Prices varied between 22k and 45k for the same spec.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Putting new roof on house. Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.