Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Putin; gay people at Winter Olympics should "leave the children in peace".
  • edlong
    Free Member

@mitch

Much as I really, really find it hard to say anything that might come across as supportive of the rubbish you were responding to, on that point about the meatheads etc. I think you could make a compelling argument that the popular (once commonly accepted, now changing but still entrenched in large parts of our society and particularly at the perhaps less well educated and or thoughtful and contemplative edges of it) negative views of homosexuality do stem to a significant degree from the morality of the church / churches.

Granted it is less so now, but it is only in the last few decades that the generally accepted lead on morality stopped coming from the church (admittedly in this particular country a few hundred years since it was your branch, but still, the same religion) and so I don’t think the fact that some of those standpoints are still prevalent among people who aren’t themselves religious entirely gets the church off the hook for the propagation of those views in the first place.

scotroutes

If athletes and officials were that bothered about the restrictions being placed on them whilst attending these games they could always choose not to go.

loddrik
    Free Member

Loddrick – all the discrimination my son’s received has come from meatheads and pissed up ‘lads’ out with their mates. Not much religion going on there, but still, you believe what you want to believe.

Yes, but they’ve had a drink and lost their inhibitions and talking shite. But the sentiment is the same. Most religious people are not likely to go up to a gay person and lamp them in this country, but that doesn’t mean their level of prejudice and animosity towards a gay persons sexuality is any less. Some would argue it’s the latent prejudice that is of more concern.

I wonder would your views have evolved in the wake of having a gay child,,,

edlong
    Free Member

But, couldn’t we start with Nigeria? They’re far more extreme and we might actually be able to win that one.

Isn’t it Uganda where they’ve not long made the committing of “homosexual acts” a capital offence?

5thElefant
    Free Member

Isn’t it Uganda where they’ve not long made the committing of “homosexual acts” a capital offence?

Probably. They’ve just criminalised homosexuality in Nigeria. 12 year sentence if caught in a gay bar (with a 95% approval rating from voters).

And we give them millions in aid so we don’t even have to invade. Do they have any oil?

kennyp
    Free Member

being a country and a people does not make one correct nor does it mean we should ignore it

However what if they regard themselves as being correct and that we in the west are corrupt and immoral. If they honestly believe that their children should not be exposed to something then they are quite entitled to protect said children. Look how overly protective people here are when children are concerned.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If athletes and officials were that bothered about the restrictions being placed on them whilst attending these games they could always choose not to go.

What about ?

If athletes and officials were that bothered about the restrictions being placed on them whilst attending these games they could always choose not to gobe gay.

Both obvious trolls but which is best?

igm

Best response would be if the official British kit carried the words “British Pride” on the back in large letters. And the US kit said “American Pride”. And so on.
    After all why shouldn’t the British team be proud? But Putin would know we were all laughing at him and his small minded laws on international tele.

Edit. Never going to happen of course because the national IOCs will be more interested in money than opposing tyranny.

scotroutes

[/quote]Don’t be stupid. Being gay isn’t a choice. 🙄
    Going to play games in Russia is.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Given the affectionate term used for russia by its population the could have ‘mother[land]s pride’

kennyp
    Free Member

Would the Russians have been justified in boycotting London 2012 because they consider the bedroom tax immoral and discriminatory? No international games would ever be held if every country had to agree with everything in the host country.

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

Loddrick – I’ve always had the same attitudes, regardless of my religion. I don’t spend much time around organised religion anymore, mainly because of the continued cover up / denial of paedophilia in the Catholic church. I’m just trying to say I’ve come across far more homophobia in everyday life than I ever did in church, and I don’t think the more vocal homophobes do what they do because it offends their spiritual belief systems. I just think they’re thick **** 😀

Junkyard
    Free Member

Good luck druidh

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Being homophobic really boils down to a lack of confidence in ones sexual preferences.

Maybe Putin etc, are trying to sweep the issue under the rug in an attempt to bury their own feelings. If they can keep their heads buried in the sand maybe they wont face an overwhelming temptation to ‘stray’ into homosexuality.

If the homophobes in power built a culture that would allow them to come out in safety, and with the minimum of fuss maybe then they wouldn’t feel so ‘torn’.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Putin is the president of Russia. Three-quarters of Russians “believe” that society should oppose homosexuality. Russian president makes comments that we don’t agree with….

…so who should change? Whose right? Us or them? Whose views should be imposed on the other?

Fortunately, Athletes of any sexuality will compete. Good luck to them all.

grum
    Free Member

Definitely not gay.

…so who should change? Whose right? Us or them?

What do you reckon? Pretty sure I know the answer.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Odd thread for gay beastiality inuendo.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Pretty sure I know the answer.

To what?

AdamW
    Free Member

Wrote a big post then deleted it. Can’t be bothered.

Boils down to: yes, religion has a lot to do with the hatred I get.

grum
    Free Member

To what?

To who’s right? Moral relativism can do one – persecuting people for their sexuality is wrong, and people need to be made aware of this if they’re not already.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Sounds like a 21C version of a missionary idea? We are right, you (all 75% of you) are wrong and must be like us. Get it?

Frankly, I don’t think anyone’s sexuality or even views on sexuality are anyone else’s business.

Still the glory that is the Olympic ideal will over trump anything else anyway. Citius, Altius, Fortius and all that….

grum
    Free Member

Sounds like a 21C version of a missionary idea? We are right, you (all 75% of you) are wrong and must be like us. Get it?

Except that all we’re asking now is to leave people alone not persecute them.

I assume you think we should show similar respect for FGM or stoning adulterers to death, or torturing prisoners. After all it’s their culture and who are we to tell them what to do?

Frankly, I don’t think anyone’s sexuality or even views on sexuality are anyone else’s business.

Shame the Russian government doesn’t then. 😕

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Indeed.

project
    Free Member

Fully grown and mature adults seem more affraid of gay people than children ever do,unless theyre brainwashed from an early age that all single men or women may be a pervert or homo, it still happens in some households possily to cover up the familys own inner feelings.

Lots of gay people want their own children and adopt,and make great parents, some parents get gay children and love them.

thejesmonddingo

I think that,sadly,there’s still a lot of truth in this, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJy2UucDcDw and a lot of hypocrisy inside society in general about accepting people’s sexuality for what it is.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Being homophobic really boils down to a lack of confidence in ones sexual preferences

that’s not true – loads of people are homophobic because of religious reasons, others because they feel it is not ‘natural’.

I would say lack of confidence in ones own sexuality is probably one of the least likely reasons.

robbo
    Free Member

I was shocked when the BBC reported that he’d said this in the same sentence as paedophilia and then called for solidarity with other nations against terrorism. The man is a Terrorist himself!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-25785161

konabunny
    Free Member

No harm at all in asking them to change the law. I think they should. Equally though I don’t like the tone of moral superiority that assumes our moral code is best. As I said, it’s their country.

You’re a moral relativist and a sap.

First, a moral code that doesn’t lead to stupid antigay laws isn’t better because it’s “ours”, it’s better because it’s smarter.

Second, the antigay laws are sod all to do with Russians’ moral code, and everything to do with distracting attention from the huge amounts of money that are being spunked on the Sochi games (with a large chunk being embezzled by him and his cronies) for no good reason, the worsening economic situation, the failure to adequately diversify away from natural resources, the endemic corruption and the huge social inequality that exists.

loddrik
    Free Member

?? ???????!!

kennyp
    Free Member

Nonsense. The views of the Russian people on the morality of the subject existed way before the Olympics.

I don’t agree with their views, but I also appreciate that the morals of one people may be very different from the morals of another.

If I were Russian and reading this thread I’d be quite offended and upset by he sheer intolerance and racial superiority that is being directed at them by, and this is the ironic bit, people who claim to stand for tolerance and equality. As long, of course, as everyone conforms to their relativistic moral view of the world.

AdamW
    Free Member

Loddrik: yeah, that’s easy for you to say.

Kennyp: great sketch by “goodness gracious me” writers regarding moral relativism. “Your husband wants to chop you to pieces? Ah but that’s your *culture*, ok no problem!”

And I guess those people who do FGM, let’s not dare say owt about that as we may offend.

Or, as I say: so what? Be offended. If you’re wrong, you’re wrong.

kennyp
    Free Member

The moral viewpoints of many different countries, peoples, races, political parties, religions (atheists included) and other groups has varied massively over the ages, as well as geographically. For people here to say that the morality of this country, at this particular time, is absolutely the correct one and that all others are wrong, is an act of outstanding arrogance.

That isn’t to say the Russians are correct either, it’s to say they are entitled to their views, as are we.

kennyp
    Free Member

Adam, I used the word “offended” deliberately. My own view is that it’s become the most overused word in the language and the default fall back position for anyone wanting to curtail free speech. Hence me using it in a counter intuitive way. Thanks for spotting that, I didn’t think anyone would. 🙂

kennyp
    Free Member

Oh, and moral relativism does also have limits, at least my interpretation of it does. And that would apply in the example you mention, though admittedly that’s just a comedy skit.

kennyp
    Free Member

And finally, as I’m off to bed, by all means argue and debate the Russian stance. Personally I hope they change their views. However don’t describe them as barbaric or I’ll educated just because they take a different view than we do.

They are a very educated and cultured people. My favourite classical composer was Russian. He was a musical genius. Oh, and he was gay too!!

Junkyard
    Free Member

If I were Russian and reading this thread I’d be quite offended and upset by he sheer intolerance and racial superiority that is being directed at them by, and this is the ironic bit, people who claim to stand for tolerance and equality. As long, of course, as everyone conforms to their relativistic moral view of the world.

I stand for tolerance of all but the intolerant. You could argue tolerance as i watch a country commit genocide for purity reasons, FGM on women, rape and any number of abhorent moral acts that I am happy to call wrong and not tolerate. Your broad point is a good one but it really does depend. Somethings are just wrong

For people here to say that the morality of this country, at this particular time, is absolutely the correct one and that all others are wrong, is an act of outstanding arrogance.

the problem is the russian people are imposing their morality on other people . They are equally as guilty of the charge of arrogance so you are left picking the moral code you prefer and imposing it – I am not sure anyone other than russia is actually imposing anything in the real world either

Tolerance is a great thing but we cannot idly stand by and watch bad deeds be done in the name of tolerance
    For the triumph of evil all that is necessary is good people do nothing

CountZero

I think a lot of what goes on on here is because of how ‘absolute’ a lot of religious people are – it feels like throwing a wall up to debate. “This is how the world is, full stop” when it doesn’t reflect others experience or views.

If it’s not written in their holy book, then it either doesn’t exist, or it’s unacceptable; there’s no grey, only black and white.
    Of course, despite what’s written down being in black and white, there are people who spend entire lives ‘interpreting’ the words of their holy prophet, or deity, in order to use those words to increase their own power over others; they are, after all, chosen to spread the words of their God, and are, as such, in a much more advantageous position to know exactly what was meant by those words, even if that means killing an unbeliever, who has chosen to interpret those exact same words, but in a different fashion. Shia/Sunni conflict, anyone? Or Catholic/Protestant?
    All the same God.

loddrik – Member
    What, you don’t think Putin is a churchgoer….

Seems to be that the most homophobic people are also ‘god fearing’.
    Putin’s a Communist, whatever makes you think he’s a church-goer?

HermanShake
    Free Member

Homophobia: The fear that another man will treat you like you treat women.

We could do with giving the kids a break from the “hetero” portrayal of the genders come to think of it. As Spinal Tap said; “There’s a fine line between sexist and sexy”.

kennyp
    Free Member

The majority of people in Britain believe the Russian view of the matter to be immoral.

The majority of people in Russia believe the British view of the matter to be immoral.

Who is right? Who is wrong? What should we do? Go to war or agree to disagree and tolerate the views of the other.

the problem is the russian people are imposing their morality on other people

But they aren’t. They are only applying their views to their own country and asking visitors to respect their views and their laws.

AdamW
    Free Member

Kennyp: cultural relativism is crap. Utter crap.

“Oh, those people there! They’re doing female genital mutilation, but that’s their culture!” (Or choose anything you like. Christian persecution? Female persecution?)

To quote someone recently:

They are only applying their views to their own country and asking visitors to respect their views and their laws.

No, I do not respect their view or their laws. Fortunately I won’t be going to Russia but fear for those who are gay *in* Russia, where it appears you are happy with whatever happens to them.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Putin; gay people at Winter Olympics should "leave the children in peace".’ is closed to new replies.