Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Purgatory or Butcher?
  • iforwilliams
    Free Member

So I think I’ve decided to go for the Specialized Ground Control (2Bliss), rear tyre in a 2.3 (I know they’re more like a 2.2) on my 29’er hardtail.

Can anyone recommend which of the two tyres Purgatory or Butcher would make the most harmonious of bed-fellows up front for general XC/ Trail riding.

chestrockwell

I spoke to my lbs and they recommended Purgatory up front. I think the Butcher would be a bit overkill for general XC. I went for a Captain out back but only because they didn’t have a 29″ Ground Control in stock.

That reminds me, I need to go and fit them!

Northwind

Butcher is a lot of tyre for XC. Depends on your XC I suppose! I like big grippy tyres so I don’t object too much but most people would I think.

CalamityJames
    Free Member

I would compare a Purgatory to a High Roller and a Butcher to a Minion, though others may disagree. Purgatory is a great front tyre.

enigmas
    Free Member

The butcher is basically a minion copy but I’d say the clutch is more like a high roller than a purg.
    I’m currently using a 2.3 butcher front & 2.3 ground control rear combo on my blue pig. Love having a front that’ll grip through anything and a fast rolling rear tyre that’ll always break loose before the front.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Butcher is like a minion, but I can’t say I see any similarity in tread pattern between a high roller and a purgatory.

stumpy01

I’d have thought for general trail stuff a Purgatory would be fine.

I’ve got a Purgatory front and Sauserwind rear that works well together. But I think they’ve stopped doing the Sauserwind so will probably get a Ground Control rear next.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Cheers. Purgatory sounds like the one to go for then for the riding im doing. I see there’a new Grid version. Is it worth spending the extra $ over the Control?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

purgatory was designed by same person who designed the advantage hence them being similar iirc

wurzelcube
    Free Member

I’ve been running a purgatory up front and a captain on the rear for last two years (standard setup on 2011 stumpjumper) works a treat.

MarkLG
    Free Member

Just swapped my front Purgatory for the Butcher. The Purg has been great, but I felt it was getting a touch sketchy now that it’s getting wet. The Butcher grips better and feels more secure. Whether or not you need the extra grip depends on your riding.

smatkins1
    Free Member

Butcher is great when descending. If your ride up and down, then the purgatory is the better choice.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice. Any feedback on how these (GC and Purgs), fit onto Stans Arch EX as tubeless? Harder than hell, or mild mannered?

wilko1999
    Free Member

Can’t comment on GC, but both Butcher and Purgatory were a piece of p1ss on my Arch EX’s. No levers, track pump, sealed first time. They were my first tubeless attempt and the whole process was completely stress-free

bigjim

butcher and purgatory go up with a track pump on Arch rims here, really great tyres.

Northwind

My Purg put up a fight on my traversees but went eventually, the butchers have always been easy

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I’ve run both a Purg and a Butcher on the front of my 26er (with a Purg out back) and the Butcher has been a cornering and braking revelation on ‘enduro’ (sic) style trails (longish wooded descents that others ride on 150mm sus bikes, or even downhill bikes).

It does noticeably drag more, so for longer or less aggressive rides I’d go with a Purg, but the Butcher really is a brilliant tyre for most conditions IMHumbleO.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

MarvelArse!

chiefgrooveguru

First ride with the Butcher on the front, last night. It is bloody brilliant! Overkill as an XC tyre and I’m not sure I’d run one on the rear but as a front it is the awesomeness.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I run a 2.2″ Purg up front on my 29’er when it’s wet / winter coupled with a 2.1″ Ground Control out back.

Great combo for everything IMHO

J273
    Free Member

Wheres everyone getting their spesh tyres?

Are there any german stores selling them cheap?…Ive had a look at the usual but they dont seem to stock them.

Simon

Only place I’ve seen discounting them is Freeborn – 2 x Spesh tyres for £54

chestrockwell

If you’re any where near Skipton, North Yorks The Bike Shop is closing down and has 20% off everything so Specialized tyres are less then £50 a pair.

Northwind

I got most of mine from ebay- people buy stumpies and enduros and then bung the tyres on ebay thinking “OEM tyres, must be rubbish”.

Freeborn sell as pairs but if you ask them nicely they’ll pick-n-mix as long as they’re the same price. Pearce Cycles had Butchers at a good price too.

iforwilliams
    Free Member

2.3 Purgs and GC ordered from Cyclestore UK.

£29.99 each plus free tube with each. I know they’ll be run tubeless, but useful to shape the tyres initially and then carry as back-ups…

J273
    Free Member

Ive Just bought a purgatory grid for my 29er XC bike – Would you say the purgs overkill for XC ? is it a draggy tyre?

craig5

North wind, how did you get you tyres to sit tubeless . I have just got some traverse wheels, could not get my storms to seat with a track pump, the compressor at the petrol station was pants ( not a steady blast of air). Trying to get my purgatory on at all on was a half hour battle. Tried seating both with tubes first. Still no joy. Bought spec Prestatyn valves but Wrexham in the process ( old thread content ). Do the vales con out of these. Got tubes in now, bout if I ever flat the front am done for.

J273
    Free Member

As a front how does a butcher compare to a dampf? On my enduro im running a dampf on the front but thinking of switching to a butcher. How do they compare grip wise and rolling resistance for those of you who have tried both?

Thanks

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’m using purgatory front and rear on my 29er, they work well on the south downs anyway.

jsync

North wind, how did you get you tyres to sit tubeless . I have just got some traverse wheels, could not get my storms to seat with a track pump, the compressor at the petrol station was pants ( not a steady blast of air). Trying to get my purgatory on at all on was a half hour battle. Tried seating both with tubes first. Still no joy. Bought spec Prestatyn valves but Wrexham in the process ( old thread content ). Do the vales con out of these. Got tubes in now, bout if I ever flat the front am done for.

I have traversee wheels and purgs, went up no fuss with a track pump. They were a little bit of a wrestle to get them on the rims but plenty of soapy water helped.

Northwind

@craig5- the Purg put up a fight I think, needed soapy water which I don’t usually bother with. The Butchers have gone pretty easily onto every rim I’ve tried them on, even the hard-work Fulcrums.

As ever with tubeless a good pump helps- and that doesn’t just mean good quality, my Joe Blow was good quality but ****-all use at seating tubeless tyres, my Air Towers are rubbish but they move something like 4 times as much air with each stroke.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Purgatory or Butcher?’ is closed to new replies.