Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PURE digital radios – Do they all break?
  • Harry_the_Spider

The display on my Evoke-1S died yesterday. The brightness has gone making it very, very dim.

At one point I had 4 PURE digital radios in the house, I’m down to one now and that one requires re-setting quite frequently. I’m not being cack-handed here as I have an Onkyo that has managed to survive 15 years in the kitchen without expiring.

Have I been unlucky or are PURE a bit shit?

kimbers

We’ve got 3 had for 10+ years, all still work fine (aerial snapped off one though still works)

csb

Our evoke xt went weird, screen pixels jumbled. I got a new power supply and it fixed it.

spawnofyorkshire

Had two in the past and they both died in the end, but both did over 5yrs each.
    Alexa does the same job for me now

tthew

Original XT-1 died after many years service a few months back. It’s replacement BT3, the Bluetooth packed in almost immediately, (which was kind of the point of buying it) . One in the kitchen must be 10 years old at least.

It’s probably your ghosts messing about with them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I have a DAB radio that works fine but it warbles, there’s a constant wawawawawa noise which you don’t notice at first but starts to really annoy you once you do. Can’t remember what make it is though.

athgray
    Free Member

I was in an industial unit yesterday that had both a Makita and Dewalt DAB radio. These things felt bomb proof. In that work environment I suppose they have to be.

trail_rat
    Free Member

oure pure one stereo is still going after 10 years *

*i realise it will explode now after ive said that.

verses

We have the Pure DAB that looks like a Marshall amp, the display faded on that (after about 5 years) to the point where it was barely readable. I managed to pick up a replacement display on Ebay and fitted it myself (not too tricky if you’re keen).

I can’t find any on there at the moment, but a quick bit of googling found this site where he seems to be keeping track of places selling them.

http://www.alanwinstanley.com/alan-winstanleys-journal/2018/2/21/replacing-a-pure-evoke-flow-display.html

flatpat
    Free Member

We got Pure Evoke Flow did about 10 years back. The LED panel faded about 3 years back, got a new one (not from Pure) off eBay for £25 which lasted a couple of years before fading too. Otherwise it still (annoyingly) works fine.

Considering letting the devil into our kitchen and getting an Alexa this time.

fasthaggis

We have 4,the oldest one (an Evoke-1)is over 16 yrs old.
    All going fine apart from a One classic that very occasionally throws a wobbly when charging up.

Alphabet

My 10+ year old Pure Evoke is still going strong.

tdog
    Free Member

Yes op you’re spot on. Pure longevity is shite !

All show except for the sub equipped beast that is the Legato

edhornby

Considering letting the devil into our kitchen and getting an Alexa this time.

Don’t, half the time the less popular stations stop working on the amazon app feed thing.

timmys

I’ve had three. All had issues.

The two that are about ten years old (Temous), on both of them the volume dial wouldn’t go below a certain volume.

On the recent one (Evoke?), the display is funky with significant amount of dead ‘pixels’. Not enough to make me return it though.

tthew

The Alexa that stood in as a bedroom radio between the XT-1 breaking and it’s replacement fell down the back of the radiator while we the missis was decorating and no-one has been arsed to fish it out. Make of that what you will.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

there’s a constant wawawawawa noise which you don’t notice at first but starts to really annoy you once you do

sounds like poor signal

Speeder

I’ve got 2 Evoke Flows that the screens went on but bought a couple of replacements from China (ref the link above) and replaced them now all is fine (for now). One did have a power supply issue but got it fixed pretty cheap at the local radio repairs place. I really like them as they have great sound but am disappointed by the lack of ongoing support from Pure (would be good if they kept stock of the very cheap displays for these things so people could keep them going rather than encourage a throw away culture) and that the BBC changed their listen again format as now I can’t catch up with programmes I’ve missed on it. It’s still a great radio.

verses

there’s a constant wawawawawa noise which you don’t notice at first but starts to really annoy you once you do

When this happens, are you listening to Chris Moyles?

ahwiles
    Free Member

Yup, Pure radios are shite.

mostly, it’s the displays that die. but bluetooth connection is also more than a little hit and miss.

and they just don’t help, or provide any backup of any sort. i’ve been offered a small discount off a new radio.

will not buy again.

scc999

Got a Pure DAB radio that still works fine.  Got to be 8 years old?

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

Two pure evokes here, 1 is 15 years old, other is 13. Both used daily, no problems at all.

All electronics die eventually.

IME Bluetooth is a bag of unreliable shite, no matter what device it’s in.

RustySpanner

Both ok so far – a 2s plugged into the Hifi upstairs –
    FM nice, DAB fine, seems bombproof.

Also have a Pop Maxi in the kitchen – works fine, Bluetooth, easy to clean, sounds decent, but feels cheap, nowhere near the build or design quality of the 2s.
    The modern Evokes feel equally lightweight too. Works perfectly so far.

I like Roberts – my R550 FM model needs the pots cleaning but oddly still sounds good. Will go Roberts or Ruark for the kitchen next time.

I like radios 🙂.

Twodogs

Got 2 Evokes and 1 other model. One Evoke has been faultless, the other model is too. The other Evoke occasionally gets itself into a software update loop…and the only way to sort it is to plug it into Pure’s software, which only works on a Window’s 7 (or earlier) pc…so I’m hanging onto an ancient laptop just for that use about twice a year!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PURE digital radios – Do they all break?’ is closed to new replies.