Home Forums Chat Forum Purchase a Windows 8.1 product key

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Purchase a Windows 8.1 product key
  • Mounty_73

Does anyone know where I can purchase a Windows 8.1 product key please?

I have been looking on google, but I am bit hesitant to buy one from a lot of the sites.

StuF

Obvious answer – windows 8.1 is now out of support, so I’d be looking to move to windows 10 and purchase a key for that

hot_fiat

I used one of those sites, Brytesoft, for a MS project license. I suspect it’s a VLK that they not-quite-legally-resell. Works fine though.

As @StuF points out, I’d try and upgrade to 10: its smaller, leaner, more efficient and will run faster on the same hardware, with fewer resources used.

baggsie
    Free Member

Kinguin (They’re a reseller but I use them all the time for games and Windows licenses etc with no problems).

gobuchul
    Free Member

Why wold anyone choose Windows 8.1, it’s terrible.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you want legit, legit you can install Windows 8.1 and buy a license via “Get Genuine” in the Windows Store, although it’s been years since I last saw a Win 8 machine…

As above, why? I personally had no issue with 8.1, in the most basic sense it’s a normal windows OS that uses a full-screen windows key menu, that’s it, but it’s the unwanted step-child of Windows OS, Win 10 is better in every way and at least as launch it was less resource hungry than Win 8.

footflaps

I bought one from Softwaregeeks.co.uk in 2018. I have a W8.1 VM for supporting any customers still using it.

thols2

If you already have Windows 7 installed and licensed, you can upgrade to Win10 for free. Download the installation files from the MS website, create a bootable USB installation drive, and it will pretty much take care of itself.

Otherwise, just buy a Win10 key and install that.

Cougar

As above: why?

If you have a machine which “needs” W8.1 reinstalling you don’t need a key, it’s already licenced.

In all other situations I can think of offhand, you can and should install W10 with a W10 or W7 key.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I think you can use Win8 keys to install 10. Windows want everyone on 10 so they made the upgrade free. Not sure how far back it goes but if you have an old lap top with a windows key sticker on then the key on that sticker will work.

I would imagine the cheap ones available on sites like amazon will be fine – as above they will be codes that are not for resale but they work and once they work and it installs you are fine*.

*Not as fine as buying a legit one but its 99.999% likely to be a non issue.

Mounty_73

I know and understand all the reasons for not going W8, but its for a 86 year old man with sight issues and the only reason is that he know his way around W8 and is very familiar with it.

I have just purchased a key through Kinguin, so cheers for all the info.

Poopscoop

^^Ive dealt with them op and all was fine.

Yeah, the techy side of things isn’t always the primary concern in things like this even if we wish it were.lol

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Purchase a Windows 8.1 product key’ is closed to new replies.