• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by donks.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • PSA Utopian City of the Future BBC4 9pm
  • kimbers

That’s right Milton Keynes on the tellybox

50 years old, (I’ve only been here 2, but in a convert!)

If only government’s had the balls to do this kind of thing now

A genuine solution to the housing crisis & a boon for roundabout fans!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b091gy05

mikewsmith
    Free Member
    kimbers

Bump

kimbers

There’s a roundabout appreciation society !?

project
    Free Member

We have 2 of the original villages designed for people at Port Sunlight and down the road Bromborough Pool village, designed by industrailists for their workers and company factories.

allthepies
    Free Member

I lol’d 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never been to MK, but new town near me is a big spread out soulless bunch of estates linked by far too many indirect roads and cycle paths without signposts, no community focal points,just the odd spar and flat roofed pub.

I assume MK is better?.

Sandwich

MK the first place I ever experienced brake fade in a car. So many roundabouts…

irvb

For those interested in the new towns, keep your eyes open for this film – https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/301810924/new-town-utopia

fasthaggis

The real utopia
    Utopia

Sorry Mr Smith,I think you will find that
    this was the real Utopia 😛

kimbers

Never been to MK, but new town near me is a big spread out soulless bunch of estates linked by far too many indirect roads and cycle paths without signposts, no community focal points,just the odd spar and flat roofed pub.

I assume MK is better?.

Yes & no !

Kinda sums it up here

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/may/03/struggle-for-the-soul-of-milton-keynes

We love the cycle paths, no traffic jams and greenery & lakes, not a fan of the cost of many of the leisure activities.

Speeder

I’ve often wondered how much polution all that slowing down and accelerating caused around all those roundabouts.

stuey
    Free Member

-You’re not ‘CMK massive’ if your slowing down for roundabouts
    < other towns have a different highway code 😉 >

donks
    Free Member

Quite disappointed with that actually. it seemed to follow some of the least interesting characters and areas of the town.
    And he was a stantonbury lad…. scum.
    I was at the bowl the as one of the kids releasing red balloons for the add.

maxtorque

I enjoyed the two old architects of the shopping centre. They must have been a right laugh when they were younger!

Interesting to note that other people have spotted that the more recent developments have abandoned the original aims (grid system ,green space, red routes) and are now surrounding the original, easy to access centre of MK by our more normal cloying sprawl of small roads, traffic lights and endless 30mph zones…….

(btw, as an EV driver MK roundabout, even those you do have to slow down for are no detriment to economy thanks to regen braking 😉

CountZero

A bunch of us used to go up that way going to Santa Pod for the drag racing.
    I used to look at all the signs with MK1, MK2…MK18, MK19, and ask why they’d got to Mark 19 or whatever and still hadn’t got it right…

globalti
    Free Member

My sister graduated in Sociology at York and her first job was as a course supervisor at the OU in Milton Keynes. She had one of those sloping-roof houses in Tinker’s Bridge; they interviewed an elderly couple who talked about the space of their (then) new house. I used to motorbike up from London where I lived to see her.

kimbers

Quite disappointed with that actually.

Agreed could’ve been better, plenty more interesting areas and facts to tell, no mention of ley lines at all ! 😉

are now surrounding the original, easy to access centre of MK by our more normal cloying sprawl of small roads, traffic lights and endless 30mph zones…….

We ended up looking for a house here a few years ago

The new build houses didn’t have any where near the storage space of the earlier ones, just standard estate agent friendly squeeze an extra bedroom on at all costs.

Importantly without the grid there were no redways and underpasses, which is a brilliant way of keeping cars & bikes+Peds separate

donks
    Free Member

Those Tinkers Bridge houses were (still are) bloody awful and need pulling down. The estate is arguably the most decrepit and run down in MK and there’s some stiff competition there.

I used to be a sparky for the council and have worked in all of the original manky housing estates around the city and the houses are pretty grim. The story used to be these were built as almost temporary housing that was supposed to be flattened over 20 years ago.
    There’s now talk of these original estates being pulled down and new housing built but as these are still mostly council or housing association owned the residents (some of over 40 years)will be moved away from their friends and family and this has caused much constanation.

The development corporation are now long gone and have been replaced by greedy developers who have no interest in the continuation of the grid system ethos which the city was built around. This is a shame as the system seemed to work.

You can still travel up to 10 miles from one end of the city to the other in about as many minutes though using the grid roads which is pretty damn good. 10 miles through Northampton where I work could take 2 or 3 times that.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘PSA Utopian City of the Future BBC4 9pm’ is closed to new replies.