Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)
  • PSA: Scammer on WTD classifieds
  • druidh
    Free Member

Jamie
    Free Member

What the? My previous post went missing half way through!

Stay vigilant people. What we have here is a case of postnapping.

Edit:

OH MY GOD! THEY GOT DRUIDH!!?!?!?!

GET ME THE PRESIDENT ON THE PHONE!

LOLZWUTMATELULZ?!?!!?!

jota180
    Free Member

It’s like the Twilight Zone around here

leffeboy

PSA – don’t post here or they get your IP address and then you

edit: damn

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

They’ve got to Druid!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

But, blast, I missed trigger’s post. DOn’t suppose anyone photoshopped copied it did they? I do so hate missing out #noseygit

scaredypants

I’ve got a screenshot of the PP post if anyone missed it?
    Also, applause to the Mods for deleting it

Why ? I liked Naomi. I think she’d have fit right in, given time (you know, her being an imaginary person an all)

Steelsreal

Just got my fiver refunded, looks like our scammer has been found out..

nealglover
    Free Member

More likely he’s crapping himself with all the talk of Fraud Squad reporting and his name and address being posted (and deleted) from the thread 😉

druidh
    Free Member

But not from one of the other threads linked above 🙄

nealglover
    Free Member

Indeed.

I can’t see the issue with posting the name and address of someone who is known to be stealing from people,

Obviously someone with a “delete post” button disagrees though 🙁

Steelsreal

Note from merchant
    Hi, I don’t know what is going is on, but my email and PayPal account was hacked into last week. I have only just been able to gain access to my PayPal account and have just seen all the damage that has been done. Someone has been masquerading as myself.

mmmmmm, i’ve got my money back that’s the main thing has everyone else?

nealglover
    Free Member

Ah, the “Shaggy Defence”

Genius 🙄

diz

Yes got the same email and my money refunded. Very odd! But I’m relieved I got my money returned.
    However I have still reported it to the police. They can sort out what’s really gone on.

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Just out of curiosity, does everyone who is accused of being a scammer, and subsequently denies it, prove they aren’t by giving the money back?
    I can’t help but think I would be more convinced by the goods actually turning up…

simonm
    Free Member

I got a refund really quickly, however I’m concerned about a deeper scam, and the guy having my address. So if who ever did have his address could them email it to me, just for peace of mind if something does happen in the near future

Cheers.

dumbanddumber
    Free Member

To all those who paid a stranger using paypal gift……

hammyuk
    Free Member

I got slated last time this sort of thing reared its head.
    Selling and expect paying through Paypal? Then cough up.
    They are taking someone else’s money, passing it on to you and the info required with it yet you expect to get that for free?
    Why should the buyer cough up when they aren’t receiving the money?
    IMO – the classifieds should ONLY allow Paypal payments done correctly.
    Any seller requesting PP gift gets the ad pulled the same as if there is more than one ad on the front page in 24 hrs, etc.
    The buyer then puts feedback on the ORIGINAL SALE THREAD or they have a “Feedback” section with a template that you have to fill in to be able to post.
    At least 5 of the other forums I use ALL have this in place and templates for items for sale/wanted.
    If you don’t use the template – the ad is deleted.
    The word “gift” used – ad is deleted.
    Not rocket science and stops any chance of scams.

druidh
    Free Member

If I’m selling, I don’t really care how the money gets in to my account. I don’t expect to pay for it to get there. I’m happy to pass on my account details to the buyer but that leaves them with no redress outside of the Small Claims Court or fraud charges.

convert

It is a shame that there is no option when using PP to chose which end pays the PP fee(I don’t think there is anyway). Of course you can calculate it and add to the purchase price (maybe with a discount if paying with bank transfer etc instead) but I too see the benefit of using “proper” paypal being mainly for the buyer not the seller so think that if a fee has to be paid that’s where it should come from. As much as you might hate the big corporate animal that is paypal making a profit, they are providing a service so not sure why people don’t think you should pay for it. And that is before you add the extra security of doing to the paid rather than gift way.

ahchunkymonkey
    Free Member

i received no email but i did get a full refund he must of got scared!

shooterman

Crap!! I sent Dan Hallty £170 on thursday for a garmin.

nealglover
    Free Member

Crap!! I sent Dan Hallty £170 on thursday “for a garmin.”

Please say you didn’t use “gift”

bruneep

Does no one check now, or are they too busy chasing a bargin?

ahchunkymonkey
    Free Member

too busy chasin a bargain! haha in my case i was simply a naive idiot who thought that i could trust everyone on singletrack as I’ve never had any trouble in the last 2 or 3 years I’ve been using it but ya live and learn!

Drac

What bug?

nealglover
    Free Member

Does that mean its fixed ?

It did you just delete the second “what bug” post 😉

dumbanddumber
    Free Member

andypandy85
    Free Member

I paid him a couple of quid for some avid calliper parts (not ‘gift’ cos I’m cool) and got a refund a couple of days later, said “sorry, I can’t find them”. Thought nothing of it, then tonight got the following email;

” Hello,

This is a general email to those that have received a paypal money request from my email account.

In the last few days a hacker accessed my email and paypal accounts, requesting paypal money from you. If you have received any emails from my email account in the last week, please ignore and delete them. Do not send any money using paypal gift.

I was made aware that the hacker was selling bike goods at a forum called singletrackworld, specifically this forum post:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-scammer-on-classifieds

I don’t know how this has happened, but I have only just been able to gain access to my paypal account and have seen all the damage that has been done. A hacker has been masquerading as myself and using my accounts to extract money using paypal gift. I have been in contact with paypal and they are investigating. In the meantime I have managed to issue full refunds to all 67 people who were affected.

Sorry you got caught up in all this.

Dan”

Strangely, the email was only addressed to me and not the other 66 people..

diz

They’ve got my address to but that’s all and they can get that of any electoral registrar, so I’m not that concerned.

andypandy85
    Free Member

Thanks for the edit Mods…apologies for the censored swear. Do you plan on doing anything about these people on your forums, or are you too busy deleting things for trivial reasons?

nealglover
    Free Member

Is this not the same guy that was linked to on page 3 of this thread ?

If that’s the case, he must have his email and paypal accounts hacked fairly regularly as its been going on for ages.

Jamie
    Free Member

New rules?

…but that post is 3 months old, Drac.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If that’s the case, he must have his email and paypal accounts hacked fairly regularly as its been going on for ages.

aye at least two threads on this person on this thread alone

Someone go to the plod please- not aimed at STW as they are between a rock and hard place.

nealglover
    Free Member

Agreed. He’s been getting away with this exact same thing for at least 10 months. Possibly a lot longer.

Each time he gets rumbled (every few months) he gives a few people some money back and it all goes away.
    But he’s still doing it all the time in between !

And he will carry on doing it again and again unless someone (or a group of people) who have been involved take it further and go to the Police with all the info.

Andy

67 people !!!! 😯

simonm
    Free Member

I’ve got that same email from the looser…. it sounds like some kid arse covering, paypal account hacked…then Bike magic, STW account at same time..

who goes to the police ? individuals ? or the websites who seam to be so adamant in maintaining impartiality ? come on STW, share some responsibility and GOT TO THE POLICE WITH IP’s / User Addressed and evidence.
    Protect us who give you your living please.

bruneep

Just don’t had over money to people you don’t know or trust. There are some I’d quite happily gift to some I would avoid buying from. Why should the towers protect you if you can’t do the most basic of checks yourself.
    Be responsible for your actions. Don’t rely on others to do the work for you.

dumbanddumber
    Free Member

Totally agree. This is not a police matter, this is a matter for individual responsibility. Who is actually out of pocket…come forward.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Scammer on WTD classifieds’ is closed to new replies.