Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)
  • PSA: Scammer on WTD classifieds
  • no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Placed a WTD ad for a Nikon DSLR, got an email with good deal on a D80 from someone called Dan Hallty. danhallty@gmail.com

Before parting with ‘Paypal gift only’ cash I asked for his STW name: dannh73

The photos and description he sent me in the email were identical to This completed eBay listing

Strangely, he doesn’t reply to my emails after I pointed this out.

Beware..

nealglover
    Free Member

When you asked for his username, did you not check his history !!!

All his posts are replies to Wanted ads, and only registered yesterday

Not being funny here, but WTF were you thinking 😐

Jamie
    Free Member

Does this mean Cupra is not going to get his hip flask holder? 🙁

timbur
    Free Member

He never offered me a headset cap.
    I feel cheated that a scammer didn’t want my money :O(

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

@nealg –> hold your horses dude! – I haven’t sent any money. I realised this was iffy before falling for this shtick. 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Good detecting mate.

I know people have been saying this for ages, but it really does seem like there’s more dodginess than usual on the classifieds lately.

footflaps

What we need is a sheriff to clean up this town…

nealglover
    Free Member

@nealg –> hold your horses dude! – I haven’t sent any money. I realised this was iffy before falling for this shtick.

Apologies sir, I misread your post.

When you said ..

Before parting with ‘Paypal gift only’ cash I asked for his STW name: dannh73

I presumed you meant that, after you had done that, you sent the PayPal gift.

I’m glad you didn’t 🙂

singlespeedstu

He mailed me too.

Offering me a part I was looking for.

He wanted more than I could get a new one for though. 😆

wolly
    Free Member

He also mailed me in reply to a wanted add, said he’d post today although I’ve not paid :s

andrewh
    Free Member

How’s about whenever we buy/sell something we just leave a little message on the ad we replied to about the buyer/seller, just an informal feedback system for the regulars? People checking forum history would find it. I do it when I remember to.

user-removed
    Free Member

Erm – probably the wrong place to say it, but I’m selling a D300 with 40,000 odd shutter actuations. Lovely and clean, inside and out, one careful owner. Email in profile…

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Lolz @ user-removed – YGM 😉

Jamie
    Free Member

Erm – probably the wrong place to say it, but I’m selling a D300 with 40,000 odd shutter actuations. Lovely and clean, inside and out, one careful owner. Email in profile…

Hmm. Seems a bit of a coincidence, user-removed. OR SHOULD I SAY DANNH73!!!!

Where were you on the night of the…erm…tonight?

****FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I AM JOKING****

Steelsreal

Bum paid him a fiver for an avid clamp…

First loss on Stw gutted…at least only a fiver..

Jamie
    Free Member

Ok, not to rub it in, but genuinely curious why, as a user of STW for the last 4yrs, you wouldn’t just do a basic check on the guys history?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

He’s emailed me about some XT shifter windows. I’ve emailed him a link to this thread….

cupra
    Free Member

Glad i didnt use paypal gift 🙂

Steelsreal

Normally do but for a fiver I was a bit complacent. Just mailed him to ask if he had posted yet, pretty quick reply saying tomorrow…

Obviously got wind that he’s been rumbled

cupra
    Free Member

Resolution opened, so glad i paid the extra 73p, lesson learned, was distracted at work at the time but all should be well hopefully.

chunkymonkey
    Free Member

He mailed me as well, offered me a mint Reverb with bleed kit etc for £70. Asked his username, was told Danny and that he lives in the Isle of Wight (convenient I suppose). Did a bit of research, couldn’t find username so took the old adage – If it is too good to be true, it ain’t true!!

cp

Lol, he emailed me ref. my rear mech WTD ad. for what would be a very good deal… Thankfully I don’t go with anyone who doesn’t also tell me their STW user name or actually post on the thread.

Good call, and always a good reminder just to take basic steps whenever dealing with anyone you don’t know.

Thankfully this place is full of history and evidence of a user.

cp

Dan Halty does seem to know his stuff as well, so not so immediately obvious.

cupra
    Free Member

Well i just got a full refund from him along with a message saying he wasnt a scammer and that the moderators closed his account after being wrongly accused.

matt_outandabout

How’s about whenever we buy/sell something we just leave a little message on the ad we replied to about the buyer/seller, just an informal feedback system for the regulars?

I do this – always so far been a ‘thanks, that is great’ message.

maccruiskeen

Resolution opened, so glad i paid the extra 73p, lesson learned, was distracted at work at the time but all should be well hopefully.

email paypal a link to this thread – perhaps it’ll give some leverage to anyone who’s used paypal gift and also encourage them to poke their nose in to all his transactions

EDIT

Well i just got a full refund from him along with a message saying he wasnt a scammer and that the moderators closed his account after being wrongly accused.

that appeared while I was typing too slow

simonm
    Free Member

ahhh, I’ve done the same. but thought it was TGTBT so didnt gift. Got a full refund strangely.

simonm
    Free Member

I got a phone number off him but didnt try it, there was a guy offered a Ti frame, hopefully he didnt send big money ???

ahchunkymonkey
    Free Member

just been had by this guy offered me a set of hope floating rotors plus mounts for 27 quid knew it was too good to be true but thought its singletrack I’ve never had any issues im sure he’s just a nice fella! then, after sending the money i decide to do a bit of research and find this then i find the pictures he used on some guys pinkbike 4 rows down on google images! i feel like a right t*** emailed him asking for a refund and am hoping for a reply! People like that make me sick

ahchunkymonkey
    Free Member

simonm how you doing? Them fox forks you sold me are the reason i trusted that guy!

simonm
    Free Member

I think its a kid. just asked him why the refund and got “My mates wants them. Really sorry.”.

Sounds like he’s got scared.

simonm
    Free Member

I sold you Fox ? must have been some time ago ? I’ve not had fox for a fair few years now.

ahchunkymonkey
    Free Member

woops maybe it was someone else with a similar name! sorry for the confusion haha any update on this guy? he still hasn’t emailed me back i think i’ve well and truely lost that 27quid 🙁

voodoo_chile

Just mailed me with iphone 4 for not a lot …just asked if he was the scammer off stw by email

Cougar
    firestarter
    Free Member

Just offered me something I wanted too

mlpinto
    Free Member

A*se! He has my address now…

He replied to my wanted thread for a seat post offering me a thomson masterpiece by direct email. He sent pics etc and asked for my address to get it packed and ready which I sent. I asked him to send his stw username before I would pay.

As soon as I saw his profile history I replied to tell him I was no longer interested but he claims he has already posted the item. I assume it will now be “lost in the post” and he will chase me to pay which I have no intention of doing…

A lesson learned for the future. Maybe we should follow the avforums approach and fully conduct all deals on the forum rather than by email and then leave public feedback as has been suggested?

diz

I paid him £25-00 by paypal gift yesterday for a headset press that when i’ve just checked was an image of google images. Was using my phone to do the transaction whilst distracted by family. Bummer i will be more careful in the future. Has anyone got any contact details for him or suggestions on how to get a refund from paypal?

Thanks Diz

Dobbo

As soon as I saw his profile history I replied to tell him I was no longer interested but he claims he has already posted the item.

Lol, that’s a classic, what a bellend he is. 😆

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

I’ve now reported the whole thing, with all details of the attempted fraud to:

http://www.actionfraud.police.uk

I recommend that anyone else affected by this does too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 130 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Scammer on WTD classifieds’ is closed to new replies.