PSA: Pike 454 air u-turn £320 @ CRC

Home Forum Bike Forum PSA: Pike 454 air u-turn £320 @ CRC

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • PSA: Pike 454 air u-turn £320 @ CRC
  • flip456

what colour are they, vain i know but it MATTERS

Premier Icon badgergoo
    Subscriber

I’ve recently been building up a new bike (blur 4x)and needed some ~140mm forks for it. Found
    these 454 air Pikes at CRC for £320. Bargantastic I thought. As i’ve now received mine I’d thought I’d share.

Think they may be new old stock as they have ’07’ stamped on the back of the crown brace.

But they’re still lovely and bouncy

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

now CRC are getting members to advertise for them!!

Premier Icon badgergoo
    Subscriber

they’re black. Not sure how crc got me to post this – maybe all their ads on this site are exerting control over my feeble mind

Premier Icon jim the saint
    Subscriber

badgergoo – Is the steerer steel or alu?

Premier Icon Vortexracing
    Subscriber

454 = ally steerer.

and yip they are bargaintastic.

Premier Icon jim the saint
    Subscriber

vortexracing – the reason i’m asking badgergoo about the steerer is because there was a batch of oem 454’s made with steel steerers.
    Still good value at £320 with a steel steerer, if they are proper after-market forks with an alu steerer they are fantastic value though.

Premier Icon guitarhero
    Subscriber

mine just arrived, aluminium steerer.

Mine have been the biggest PITA fork I’ve ever owned. If I was buying again I would forego the small weight saving and get coils.

Been back twice for repair under warranty. A pain to balance the +/- chambers, foreever loosing oil out the valves.

This may just be my experience.

Love another set of cheaper Pikes I have on another bike.

It is cheap though.

ChrisS

Apparently mine have just been dispatched…. 😀

bigsi

Must resist the urge to purchase 🙁

slowrider

fwiw, always do the neg air pressure with the fork upside down, stops oil getting in the pump and giving a duff reading. i just had mine pushed and they feel really good. smashed the neg air valve off down snowdon rangers path last week though so waiting for new parts in the post.

Always have done them upside down. Still get oil out of both ends.

A PUSH upgrade is probably on the cards as with new fork prices going a little crazy I don;t think I’m going to make a swap to Coil 454s (unless someone readin is in the market to sell me some?).

Hey ho. They aren’t shit by any means but I’m finding them a right bugger.

hugh_b

just ordered some myself, have some 09 rev’s but wanted something beefier with a bolt through. I take it the 07’s are also the same as 08’s etc (matte black with white pike decals and same internals etc)? Funny that there listed as 09’s!
    I’m assuming that they don’t come with a shock pump or anything?

Hugh

nukeproof

I’m a bit torn between the Pike Airs on CRC or the 09 Rev U-Turns on Merlin…both more or less the same price but save some weight on the Revs or gain some stiffness with the Pikes 😕

retro83

qr revs are cooked spaghetti compared to pikes.

robhughes

cheeky monkey.what was up with them to be sent back.mine spitt out a bit of oil out of the -ve valve.

Jamie

That is a good deal!

Premier Icon badgergoo
    Subscriber

just ordered some myself, have some 09 rev’s but wanted something beefier with a bolt through. I take it the 07’s are also the same as 08’s etc (matte black with white pike decals and same internals etc)? Funny that there listed as 09’s!
    I’m assuming that they don’t come with a shock pump or anything?

That sounds like them matte black and white decals.

They didn’t even come in a rock shox box – it was a CRC one. No pump, but they did have the manual, a hose guide and a random lump of plastic.

hugh_b

Ok cool, thanks for that. OEM then! No problem as the OEM rockshox forks tend to be the same as the after market except for the box and shock pump which isn’t really a big deal when there as cheap as they are!
    Can’t wait to try them now!

hugh

ChrisS

Mine turned up today, CRC box, bag of bits, lump of plastic that I assume is for mounting them on racks? no pump.

I hope they are ’09 given that CRC are listing them as this years model!

nukeproof

Just ordered as couldn’t resist. I was thinking of getting Revs with Maxle but the RRP on those is around £640: the Pikes are half the price yet still Air, U-Turn 110 to 140mm, and Maxle plus, going from the SRAM site, not even that much heavier 😀

hugh_b

got mine today! Very happy 😀 Have had to order a longer brake hose thought as the pikes seem to be taller than the 09 revs 😕
    Can’t wait to have a ride on them tomorrow.

nukeproof

Have had to order a longer brake hose thought as the pikes seem to be taller than the 09 revs

Oooo, hadn’t thought of that…still, first things first, got to get a 20mm front wheel!

Hugh – So do they look the same as per the 09 forks on the SRAM site…http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/allmountain/pike/#tab1

Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Some great deals on Reba/ Revelations assuming the steerer length is ok

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=product&productId=1842&categoryId=18

hugh_b

Hugh – So do they look the same as per the 09 forks on the SRAM site…http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/allmountain/pike/#tab1

Yep they look exactly the same to me!

nukeproof

Yep they look exactly the same to me!

😀

GaryLake

Recently pulled the trigger on the Fox Vanillas on CRC (£349) – deffo OEM but no regrets so far!

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

I wouldn’t hesitate for a second to buy another set of my 454 Coil Pikes.
    They are simply brilliant.

Premier Icon Gnnr
    Subscriber

Were these supplied with a full length steerer?

Cheers, G

Pierre

They’re OEM forks (2007s?). Mostly fine but you won’t get a warranty. Well, nothing beyond the statutory 28 days you get with more or less any Internet purchase, anyway.

: P

nukeproof

They’re OEM forks (2007s?). Mostly fine but you won’t get a warranty

…and you know this how?

PROLINE85

Yes they come with a full length steerer.

Think their 08 models (or 07) as I have another pair bought last year that are identical, although sold as “08 Pikes” and they also have 07 stamped on the underside of the crown.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

I’d suggest the RS just havn’t changed the design for a couple of years- they are the latest model, first released in 2007. Call it 2007 or 2009 – whatever its still great. The crown casting has a 07 stamp but RS could have well produced a batch of them in 07 and are still working their way through them.

Not sure why you would believe they would not have a waranty, what with the fact they came with waranty info.

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Pike 454 air u-turn £320 @ CRC’ is closed to new replies.