Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • PSA memory map sale (OS 25 and 50 maps with route planner)
  • towzer

FYI. Perpetual means you get a non updating set of maps at the current version, it’s frozen in time. Ie I buy perpetual every few years to keep my copy up to date.

Route planning tools let’s you Crete, export, import gpx etc, you create waypoints as required. My version (and presumably it still ) is more functionally rich on windows than apple.

OS 1:25k Explorer
    1-Year Subscription: Now just £19.99
    Perpetual: Now just £79.99
    OS 1:50k Landranger
    1-Year Subscription: Now just £15.99
    Perpetual: Now just £39.99
    OS Platinum Bundle (both of the above, plus street maps)
    1-Year Subscription: Now just £24.99
    Perpetual: Now 50% off £99.99
    OSi Ireland
    1:50,000 Discovery Topo Map (Republic of Ireland): $99(US)
    1:210,000 Touring map covering both the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland: $19(US)

https://memory-map.com/maps/uk-os-topo-maps/?adref=2203

crossed

Is Memory Map better than the OS app?
    My OS subscription has just expired and was waiting for a Black Friday discount before I renewed.

Mounty_73

Watching with interest. I have an old version of memory map, but I have been looking at the OS subscription.

How do you get on with the OS subscription?

crossed

The OS subscription is pretty handy. The app isn’t great though.

towzer

Re Mm vs OS – no idea as never used Os, I just create routes (which I find quick and easy) and download gpx to my satmap, and I’ve not tried using mm facilities on my phone in live map mode. You used to be able to do an mm demo online., also in my few years old version it’s got more facilities when you run it on windows (esp route gradient profile which I miss on the apple) ), 3d world and fly through etc etc. I don’t know if the latest version changes that,

Mounty_73

Good stuff, I’m only interested in using it on a Windows PC, I dont use map apps.

My MM maps are quite old now even though I still use it a lot, it just works really well for me.

With a subscription I am thinking of using it to plan routes and then print off that section of the map. I just like using paper for walking routes, Garmin Connect for bike rides.

Mounty_73

Out of interest, how much is the full price of the memory map annual subscription?

boblo
    Free Member

That MM perpetual 1:50k license was down to £25 mid lockdown. I wished I’d taken it then. Their software is a bit clunky but I like to run a GPX through it to check for road/surface types when planning with RWGPS. RWGPS has a habit of sending you down bridleways etc when you’re planning a road route and it can be difficult to tell using the Google maps it’s based on.

I’ve a full set of 1:50k and 1:25k MM maps but they’re not compatible with their latest apps <sigh> So beware, if they do that again, you’ll have bought a set of perpetual maps that aren’t.

nedrapier

I buy perpetual every few years to keep my copy up to date.

how often is a few? Just curious – the pricing seems to reflect people wanting to do this – new “perpetual” maps ever 4 years = same price as annual sub. Needs to be refreshing every 5 years+ to save any money, and then you’re starting to get into more significant risks of missing updates.

I guess you stay ahead of any price rises on the annual, on the other hand you’ve not had that 60, 40 quid in your hands for that time either.

Edit: and that:

So beware, if they do that again, you’ll have bought a set of perpetual maps that aren’t.

convert

Hmmm- will mull it over.

Perpetual does not give you updates, if that’s important to you.

MM users – how big an area can you download to use offline on the phone app? The small size of the OS maximum area is a pain for me.

And is auto routing along paths a thing?

debaser

Decent deal. They run these every so often and I bought full 50k/25k and marine charts a few years ago. Mainly use the mobile app, which isn’t amazing, but does what I need and I’ve gotten used to the way it works. Can punt routes to Garmin Connect/Strava etc relatively easily and for the price I’m really happy even if there are better nav apps out there. Can’t compare it with the OS app as I’ve never tried their offering.

Think MM comes with five licences so you can run it on desktops (which give you elevation models, flythroughs and a few other tricks) and mobile devices. This makes it an absolute bargain if you have anyone else in the family that would find offline OS mapping useful or even if you wanted to chuck it on an old mobile as an additional GPS only device.

@boblo
    I had the same with the older Memory Maps files stopping working so, aye, “perpetual” needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Would still rather “own” rather than subscribe to maps though. The original format maps do still work with another app called AlpineQuest on Android though. It’s a superb app and the only reason I updated to MM was because the lowland/city/road mapping was so far out of date. Still worked fine for the hills though.

@convert
    – I have the whole of Scotland all offline on my phone. 25k Scotland is 4.4GB, 50k Scotland is 1.4GB Have bits of England/Wales cached but cannot see what the total size bulk downloaded would be. There’s no limit aside from the storage on your phone as far as I know.

boblo
    Free Member

@debaser I’ve never managed to get AlpineQuest working for me. I remember it being horribly complex to set up and I lost interest… I spent a lifetime in IT and have zero interest in spending any time on it now.

I’m not that bothered about the MM map updates. They’re OS maps and I’m mainly interested in hills that don’t (generally) move about much. The road updates mostly don’t catch me out as I’m (usually) on the smaller stuff that’s less subject to change.

Mounty_73

And is auto routing along paths a thing?

I would like something with this feature, where I have 2 points A and B and the route is chosen, or at least have the path or track selected accurately,(if that makes sense?)

Garmin connect (and my 530 bike GPS) will constantly tell me that I am off course if the route is not accurately selected using MM, whereas using Garmin Connect the route is accurately selected and followed.

convert

I would like something with this feature, where I have 2 points A and B and the route is chosen, or at least have the path or track selected accurately,(if that makes sense?)

OS maps does this….but at the moment at least, only in the national parks.

mcbyker
    Free Member

I have the whole UK 25 and 50 in memory map on my phone. Had to download the files to a PC first then use a cable to transfer to the phone; the phone just wouldn’t do it.
    E&W 1:25K 4.2GB
    Scot 1:25K 4.1GB
    E&W 1:50K 2.4GB
    Scot 1:50K 1.4GB

The fact that OS doesn’t let you have the whole country at once was the biggest differntiator to me. Having it all with me all the time means its one less thing I’m likely to forget on a trip away 🙂

towzer

I buy perpetual every few years to keep my copy up to date.

Rural xc so I just use 50 maps and I probably change them every 5 or so years, I’ll internet research cycle paths, sustrans etc if I go somewhere with the mrs. Also if it’s not clear (walking with mrs where route goes thru towns) I can pop up bing maps in 25 mode to get the line of the track) and mark the route in mm so it goes to the gpx, works well enough for me. (*also I have a phone with a limited battery so I always use a separate gps device)

bikesandboots

Great PSA, it’s still on.

Been missing the whole-country offline download since ViewRanger got canned.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.