Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • PSA – McCullin – BBC1 @ 10.35pm
  • Philby

Very moving and compelling documentary from one of the great war photographers – well worth watching if you didn’t see it when it did the rounds of the indie cinemas.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Just set it to record. Genuinely one of the best photographers / photojournalists of his, and probably any generation.

His autobiography, Unreasonable Behaviour is well worth a read.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Good heads up. I fank yow!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Bump.

FuzzyWuzzy

Pretty shocking some of the things he’s seen/gone through, 1 war would be enough for me let alone 1 a year.

rewski
    Free Member

Well that was amazing, and shocking. One of those programmes everyone should watch, not the kids obviously.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Very good and certainly made me think. The ‘madness’ of Vietnam and others must have been truly frightening.

HughStew

I stumbled upon the last 20 mins, and despite being knackered and needing my sleep, I felt I couldn’t turn it off. Definitely watching it all on iPlayer tonight.

not the kids obviously.

Depends on the age / maturity of the kids. I’d love to watch it with my 15 year old. Sometimes they need to be shown that life isn’t all parties, facebook and iPad games.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

his admission of ‘flashbacks’ about that hospital in beirut with the poor children must be horrific– as he said–words cannot describe,humanity has gone….so in our ‘democracy’ –reporters/photographers must stay on ‘message’……a very moving and poigniant programme that.

robgarrioch

A harrowing but important document, the man’s made of far sterner stuff than me. Since becoming a father I find I’m completely crushed by such graphic images as the group of kids trying to help each other just get up a step. Disbelief at what went on (goes on..?) in Africa / Vietnam / Lebanon etc. etc., life ceasing to have any value whatsoever.

Going to be on my mind for a long time.

kudos100
    Free Member

One of the greatest photographers of all time. Cheers for the heads up. I will watch this on iplayer.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

For anyone wondering what the fuss is about…

noteeth
    Free Member

Saw it at the cinema – one of the most harrowing documentaries ever.

chewkw
    Free Member

Brilliant documentary and should watch with kids to teach them a lesson.

I like it when he said that … “the tank just turn them into carpet …” something like that.

dawson

I watched it last night – fantastic documentary.

Last weeks Imagine about the unknown lady photographer was interesting too.

robgarrioch

S’funny, been thinking all day that, in his early interviews, he reminded me of a film or programme I’d seen, just worked it out.. Think it’s more the atmospheric resemblance

johnellison
    Free Member

Bollocks, forgot about that…iPlayer it is then…

DezB
    Free Member

You lot should also try to see the previous week’s Imagine programme:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/photographer-folk

Such an incredible photographer and a strange story.

DezB
    Free Member

Wow. just watched the Sky+ recording. Has to be one of the most powerful pieces of television I’ve ever seen.
    That bloke had seen so much… stunning.

LoCo
    Free Member

Amazing & harrowing.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Stunning documentary. Had the pleasure of meeting him twice (friends of my ex-boss) – an amazingly humble guy.

Proud to see 3 or 4 of his photos (of the homeless) hanging in Tate Britain the other weekend. One of the most important British artists of the 60s/70s, not just the finest British photojournalist.

br
    Free Member

Great documentary, and you could really ‘see’ what he’d seen just in his face and the looks he gave as he spoke.

Religions, politics and power-hungry people have a lot to answer for – and continue to…

DezB
    Free Member

Just looking at some McCullin pics on the web and came across this blog.
    Mike Brodie’s pics are stunning:
    http://saurabh.freshnet.com/category/warning/
    ([edit]some nsfw)
    eg.

Pigface
    Free Member

Just watched it and it was indeed excellent.

The Act of Killing is a documentary that has just come out that is meant to be an astonishing piece of work.

binners

I missed this the other night, but its gone on the Love Film list. We saw the retrospective of his work at the Imperial War Museum and it was a sobering experience. Not often you see people in an exhibition stood crying in front of a photograph. It’s no surprise that capturing that kind of thing takes an enormous toll

It’s a testament to how his photographs of vietnam changed opinions, that Thatcher decreed he was allowed nowhere near the Falklands. His letter of refusal was proudly displayed at the exhibition

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘PSA – McCullin – BBC1 @ 10.35pm’ is closed to new replies.