Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA Halfords Advanced Professional 150pc Socket Set £99.99
  • RustyMac

After THIS thread a month or so ago when I was advised the Halfords set is ace and a great bargain at £99 I have been watching it patiently to come back down in price and now it is.

Fill yer boots

trail_rat
    Free Member

great bit of kit – thats the one ive got – ratchet spanners are genius !

cranberry
    Free Member

It is on “offer” more often than it is not, so the real price could be taken as being £100.

That said, I have an older version of the set and it is very good- well worth the money.

I also have a 2 full sets of their ratcheting spanners – they are superb to use.

butcher

Though I’m sure we all want the big box, for the occasional home mechanic on a budget, I can recommend the slightly less impressive, but infinitely more affordable, 18 piece 3/8 set for £19.99.

The 1/4 kits are still full price, but you could add one of those too and still keep the budget under £50.

Well worth the money.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

As mentioned, they only have it at full price for the minimum amount of time to legally put it on sale again.

It’s good kit though, most of my tools are advanced/professional stuff from halfords, it’s very good for the cash.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got the slightly bigger aluminium briefcase toolkit (not much more worthwile though, electrical crimers/insualtion strippers are usefull, drifts/cold chissels are usefull, and the rest was duplication of existing stuff I already had (screwdrivers, hammer) or cheep and rubbish (hacksaw and torch for example).

+1 for being good quality.

RustyMac

I realise they generally discount them to £99 and mybe it is my over eagerness to finally be getting my grubby mits on some sockets but this is the firt time since December i have seen them at this price so thought i’d pop it up.

The 3/8 set for £19 does seem a bargin but i kind of have my heart set on the full set now. my car is almost 10 years old now so it is making less and less sense to send it to the garage for things i can repair myself with the right tools.

trail_rat
    Free Member

one thing i will point out with this set is

although it contains spanners – only choice ones … youll invariably find your self paying over the odds for a single spanner to do the job you want to do …..

not that i paid 49.99 for a set of 8 or 9 ratchet flexi heads and found i needed an 8mm and payed like 15 quid for it alone !

RustyMac

I have a bunch of old spanners that i picked up from a sunday market back home but i see where you are comming from.

How is the house hunting going?

trail_rat
    Free Member

you ABZ rustymac?

im signed and sealed on a house in culter the mrs gets the keys tomorrow – im in poltava , ukraine

“old spanners that i picked up from a sunday market “

you may scoff but i have a set of king dick imperial spanners i got doing a house clearance as a student for my dad. An old tennent had left them along with an abundance of taps and dies- we had no forwarding address , kept them for the alloted time and no claims so they are mine now ! the spanners were a bit rusty – a clean up with a wire brush and some oil and they look like new again !

RustyMac

Yeah based in city centre. Congrats on the house I have friends in culter it’s a nice part of the city to be in.

I am guessing work has sent you to the Ukraine? My better half is Slovak but we have never made it accross to the Ukraine yet.

jota180
    Free Member

TBH – most people will only ever use 2 or 3 sizes

maybe better buying separates as and when?

trail_rat
    Free Member

so complete hijack but who do you ride with in aberdeen rustymac. see if we know anyone in common. I used to ride with the neeps – but wednesday night just became unsuitable for me 🙁

and yes work sent me here – or rather i sentenced my self as my projects coming to a head early next week and i needed to be here for customs clearance and load out 🙁

RustyMac

I normally ride with the neeps but have not been out for the last month or two, flat decorating and work commitments have been taking up all my spare time of late and with my bikes being in bits in the shed it has not helped with getting out. The neeps ride on Sunday mornings as well if that is any better for you.

I am very nearly finnished the decorating so will hopefully have some time to put the bikes back together and get out on them again. Need to get alot fitter as i always feel bad about going out on group ride and holding people up.

eyerideit
    Free Member

jota180 – Member

That’s just like having 2 encyclopaedias on a shelf – not very impressive, but an whole set!

Why just have a couple when you can have a load of shiny in a box with a home for every bit.

I got that set and a set of spanners as well, I’m planning to dismantle the car just because I can.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Usually once you buy a few you start realising you can do more and more, then require more of them. Which then means you’d be better off buying sets.

FWIW watch out, the ratchet mechanisms are not guaranteed on the halfrauds parts.

molgrips
    Free Member

The only way to change the glow plugs on my old Passat without removng the injector pump was with an 8mm ratchet spanner – one click at a time.

trail_rat
    Free Member

haha rusty im unlikely to be allowed out to play for the foreseeable future …..

sanding and staining all windows and soffits , new guttering, tiles to repair on the roof ,new staircase , reboarding the upstairs walls with insulated plaster board , rewiring the upstairs , putting trenches in for armoured cable to both garages, painting the whole house and turning the back bedroom into a dining room.

still glad i didnt buy a new house though 😀

commuting will be about my limit for a bit !

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA Halfords Advanced Professional 150pc Socket Set £99.99’ is closed to new replies.