Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Recommend me a socket set for bike and car maintenance please
  • RustyMac

Up until now I have got by fine with spanners and allen keys for most of my bike servicing however I want to be able to service my forks (Rock Shox Revs) so have started to look into getting a socket set.

I am now totally confused with what i should be looking for. One of the things i have been warned about is the ratchet in cheap sets dying quickly but i don’t know what brands to look out for.

Also if the socket sets could be used for basic car maintenance that would be good too.

Basically stuff I’d like to know is :-

What brands should I be looking at?
    What size drive 1/4 ,3/8, 1/2 inch is most suitable ?

Budget wise, I’m hoping I can get something suitable for £70 ish but don’t know if that figure is completely un-reasonable.

cp

socket sets are very useful things to have. I have a forge steel one which is great quality & works a treat.

one of these, but when it was half price 🙂

http://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-mixed-socket-set-54pcs/68211#

Ladders
    Free Member

Halfords kit is great, and made by the same factory that makes Snap-on!

trail_rat
    Free Member

ive got the halfords pro kit , mines has the spanners and other bits and bobs – it was 99.99 at the time – its been great – has removed bolts on my land rover that id previously regarded as **** – no it was just cheap spanners/sockets ..

im sure for 70 quid you could pick up a socket set alone from halfords just make sure its halfords PROFESIONAL and not just the advanced stuff – there seems to be 2 different ranges – one has a crap ratchet and no lifetime warrenty – the other has a good ratchet and a lifetime warrenty !

falkirk-mark
    schrickvr6
    Free Member

Halfords Pro on a budget. 3/8″ would be ideal for most things but they do a nice little 1/4″ drive setup for not a lot of money that would be nice to have as well.

zilog6128

Another vote for Halfords pro. They often have half-price sales on the socket sets, the quality is excellent for the money, and they all come with a lifetime guarantee! What’s not to like!

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_categoryId_255215_langId_-1?cm_sp=Intelligent_Offer-_-Product_List_Zone_1-_-Blank&iozone=PLPz1

i got that for 99.99 last year … ratchet spanners are to die for ! – ive since bought , imperial spanners and flexy head ratchet spanners to complement it – does anyone make a similar imperial ratchets/flexy ratchets ? – my landy hasnt got a truely metric bolt on it and access isnt fun sometimes 😀

RustyMac

Just had a quick look at halfords stuff and lots of it seems to be half price.

What is the best way to go abuot getting the socket sets? One of the big bundle packs like falkirk-mark suggests or going for the individual sets?

There is this one which is 1/4 and 3/8 for £50 would i miss the 1/2 inch drive stuff?

There was some individually packed sets where i think i could have got a 1/4 and a 1/2 inch drive for £75 ish but the site seems to be playing up so i can’t get the links to them.

sam_underhill

+1000000 for the halfords set. I only needed the extended sockets, so all my other sockets etc are redundant. It’s so much easier having them all in one case. They seem to be pretty good quality.

simon_g

Halfords Pro although their offers change all the time – Christmas ones have stopped, presumably some new ones on the way.

I need to replace mine (was in the boot of my car when it was nicked), I had one of the huge 150 piece ones before but TBH, I can’t remember a time I ever used the imperial stuff and there were some huge sizes and things like impact sockets that I certainly didn’t use. Made for a huge case that I used about 10% of – I’m inclined to just start much smaller this time (checking it has what I need for common car/bike jobs) and buy anything special I need as I go.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have a good look at their “Vortex” too – A LOT easier when you might have a longer thread that will prevent a short socket fitting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i do think you get better value for money with the big kit when its half price than buying it in bits and pieces – only thing i havnt used are the E sockets…..+ 1 for through sockets

zilog6128

Just be patient, Halfords will have another sale soon enough and it will be half price again!

falkirk-mark

The big set has also got some torx sockets which are increasingly being used on cars.

firestarter
    Free Member

Only looked on here to recommend Halfords but I guess you know that already 😉

RustyMac

I have a set of Torx L shaped drivers that I had to buy previously to move the lock hasp on the door of my car when I fitted the roof rack. Having a set that has a lifetime guarantee though would be good as three of the 10 heads have bits snapped on them now.

RustyMac

firestarter
    Only looked on here to recommend Halfords but I guess you know that already

I’m getting that impression, just wish the site would stay up for long enough for me to compare some of the products 👿

cranberry
    Free Member

Only looked on here to recommend Halfords but I guess you know that already

+ 1

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Have a look on eBay for Facom 3/8 drive sets. They might be a little dearer but come with a lifetime warranty. The ratchets are brilliant. Ive had a couple I’ve used for over twenty years and they still work like new.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/8912

RustyMac

mcmoonter that facom stuff does look nice but is a totty bit over my budget 😉

was
    Free Member

I have a silverline 1/2″ 12-point socket set with ratchet that’s pretty good quality for the price.

Remember if something is b*****d tight then don’t use the ratchet to undo it – use a breaker bar (I use a cheap one off ebay).

Likewise if its rusty and likely to round off, you are better using a 6 point socket – I have a set of Bergen 6 points.

I have a cheapo set of imperial size sockets that I use to hammer on when things have rounded off (usually find one thats just undersize for the bolt).

The right tool for the job and even budget tools will last a long time.

I also have a 1/4″ drive set by facom that I inherited from somewhere.

andyl
    Free Member

+1 Million for Halfords Pro set.

A lot of people with more expensive stuff will poo-poo them but they are more than adequate for the home mechanic.

I have the old 150 piece set which was down from £150 to £99.99 in the very regular halfords sale. I think it now retails at £200 but it will be on sale most of the year for £99.99.

It has a good range from 1/4″ through 3/8″ up to 1/2″.

A good middle ground is 3/8th” square drive for small car jobs and bike stuff. This will cover you from around 10mm (M6 bolts) up to 20mm. Maybe not in the kit but if you need some extra sockets.

I am sure Halfords do a 120 piece kit for about £70 in the sale but the 150 is the better value. Lifetime guarantee on all but the moving parts and the 1/4″ and 1/2″ sockets are 6 sided which are better for rusty stuff.

donsimon
    Free Member

Taskmaster range from Brown Brothers, it’s their own brand so not expensive, it’s sold to the motor trade and has, or at least used to have, a lifetime warranty just like Snap On.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

mcmoonter that facom stuff does look nice but is a totty bit over my budget

Copy and paste link fail there from me.

This is better value.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FACOM-J-420E-3-8-Dr-Bi-Hexagon-SOCKET-SET-7-24mm-/130523784714?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item1e63d2e60a

It’s worth looking on ebay, check out Stahlwille, sockets extentions etc, they are issued to Mercedes Benz techs. Look out for Mac, Britool, Proto, Signet.

Some socket sets have a mountain of stuff you will never use and despite their ‘pro’ tags are made of Brie. Modern cars etc never use imperial stuff so there is no point in buying it among a larger set.

freeagent
    Free Member

Halfords Pro – no question abouit it.
    I’ve got a Roll-Cab full of spanners and sockets from my days of pulling landrovers/cars/trucks apart, I reckon the Halfords Pro stuff is up there with the best, easily as good as Facom/Teng/Britool…
    I’ve had scaffold tubes on the breaker bars and all sorts but not broken anything yet.
    Their ratchet ring spanners are really good aswell…

I’d say the 3/8″ drive stuff would be good for most applications, but the big set that Halfords normally have for £99.99 will give you everything you’ll need for most jobs.

RustyMac

Cheers for all the repies guys, looks like i’ll just have to put a little bit more money aside and wait for halfords to bring the 150 piece set back down again in price.

There are a few scamps selling them on ebay for £130 but i’ll hold out.

I had a quick look at the other brands mentioned and all the stuff looks very good but just a bit pricy for what i want to spend, however if anyone knows of any mega deals i should concider please point them out.

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Yep, Halfords Pro set every time. Superb quality and amazing vfm.

vinnyeh

For forks imo, you’re better off getting 6 sided sockets specifically to use for the job- you may also need to grind down the end of the socket to get enough purchase on caps etc- they generally run very shallow flanges (is that the right word), and the rounded of ends of most sockets can’t always get sufficient purchase to undo them without rounding.

I’m sure someone else can explain this a lot better than me…..

onandon
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with halfords pro. Teng are also very good

RustyMac

vinnyeh i think it kind of makes sense, LoCo sells ready fettled sockes and i expect i will be using him for other consumables oils seals etc so when it comes to the fork service i’ll probably pick one up at the same time.

I noticed this teng set but it is just a bit over budget, could be a possibility if halfords don’t bring there set down in the next few months though.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a socket set for bike and car maintenance please’ is closed to new replies.