Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 417 total)
  • PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!
  • spacemonkey

No. The benefit is being able to view what you are recording through an app on your phone, albeit with a bit of lag. I don’t think there is anything more to it.

stayhigh

Hmmm, I’m not sure how much use that would get tbh. Is the non wifi the same in all other ways then?

DickBarton

You can change settings and see what is in frame using a phone – so if it is helmet mounted or somewhere else that isn’t easy to check (chest mount), then the app is handy.
    Non-wifi is the same but appears to have 2 versions of the original. The latest firmware for the Non-wifi also appears to change true 1080p to ‘double’ 720p.

alexandersupertramp
    Free Member

Just to save me trawling through all the previous posts what is the benefit of wifi for this, is it simply to upload without cables?
    Thanks

I have a Contour HD and I have recorded days of filming the ground or front wheel. Being able to look at what the camera can see when it’s on my helmet is why I think the wifi to phone will be handy.

chomp
    Free Member

mine turned up on xmas eve and after using it on a trip to Winter Wonderlan in Hyde Park and the xmas lights in and around Oxford street last week have to say I’m impressed.

Original charger went straight in the bin (as with all Chinese power supplys where possible) and charges and transfers data nice and quick. Just need to source a 2nd battery now and a pole to stick it on for ease of filming and I’m all set

DickBarton

The wifi is good but the app is very basic. Allows changing of settings and viewing the camera image so works but it isn’t a polished looking app. Still handy to have thought to check shots and stuff.

singlecrack
    Free Member

DickBarton…….I have charged it from computer and it still doesn’t turn on …it’s being sent back for a refund hopefully …I’ve now bought my boy a £99 GoPro instead

DickBarton

Ah sorry I thought the plug charger popped and you hadn’t tried another source…sending back sounds sensible.

OrangeLad
    Free Member

I know its a bit more expensive has anyone gone for the SJ5000?

spacemonkey
    OrangeLad
    Free Member

@spacemonkey I meant like this one http://www.sjcam.com/en/home/32-sjcam-sj5000-wifi-action-camera.html

which retains the same case unlike the one in the video on tech moan

inigomontoya
    Free Member

My first “film” too mch cam shake and sometimes a poor angle on the rucksack strap, need to do some adjusting.
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=el3H4SqIIGA[/video]

mau00149
    Free Member

Picked up a sj4000 from accmart. Firmware was 20141122v02. After a fair bit of reading it looks as though that firmware isn’t currently updatable and the camera needs specifically the original firmware to work. I tried updating with various FW versions but to no avail (also got the double sparkle sound of on and off with black screen). Once i reinstalled the original firmware it came back to life. I have a copy if anyone needs it.

Was hoping to use the timelapse function but this versions doesn’t seem to have it and doesn’t look like it will be upgradable unfortunately 🙁 unless of course i am mistaken…..

reedspeed
    Free Member

inigomontoya

You need that on ure head mate,it’ll stop the wobble,unless you’re heads loose !!!…lol

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I have the same firmware version mau00149, Shame about the time lapse, wanted to do some footage of my boy building Lego 🙁
    Reedspeed, don’t like the weight on my helmet, i was happier with this, using the handlebar mount, colours came out much better without HDR. Not sure where the black border around the video has come from though Snowy mtb ride on the Malvern Hills 2015: [video]http://youtu.be/-qQyPq2kAzk[/video]

reedspeed
    Free Member

Inigomintoya

What editing software are you using ?,I’ve downloaded the gopro one & don’t really like it !.

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Windows live movie maker, I had to install a codec to get it to work with the .mov files, and is quite slow initially loading but then is OK for the editing bit, still learning though! Have you got any videos you’ve done using the gopro software?

reedspeed
    Free Member

I’ll try that then ,what’s a codec ??. Lol .
    No mate,not really,to be honest like yourself,I’m playing around with it,I’ve had an issue with the sd card,& had to re format it,apparentley it’s a common fault with this camera,as great a value as it is,it does have some floors,I keep buying stuff,spare batteries etc, but I’m getting there .

Have you been on techmoan ?,that’s informative,& there’s a forum too like on here, v helpful !.

stevied
    Free Member

Finally had a chance to get out with mine last night and can say that the quality of the night (with lights) footage is very good. Very good value for money..thanks to the OP for the original post 😀

larkim
    Free Member

As a penny pincher, trying out the accmart £38 option on Amazon. Doesn’t even say SJ4000 in the product title, but hey – even if it is a fake, how much worse are the fakes than the “real” SJ4000? Will see when it arrives anyway!

stevied
    Free Member

Here’s my nightime footage. Please excuse the credits etc as I’ve never used WMM so just having a play..Only appears to be in 360p 👿

[video]http://youtu.be/x2jghtuTxXw[/video]

inigomontoya
    Free Member

Should have gone right at the bottom of Mr conker, then left into rose bank, best little steps for jumping down 🙂

stevied
    Free Member

Did the steps.. 🙂

eltonerino
    Free Member

That works better at night than I though it would. Might take mine out next time too 🙂

chomp
    Free Member

Has anyone got any recommendations for decent back up batteries – as mine only lasts about 20 mins on a full charge

stevied
    Free Member

I have rubbish runtime on my battery too so have emailed the seller and got an £8 refund. Also need to source a good replacement

neilm
    Free Member

mine only lasts about 20 mins on a full charge

20 minutes! I am getting an hour and a half constant recording on the battery supplied.

I record as much of my training rides as the battery allows, so far I have got two close passes by a bus, a pull out by a Jag and an old guy in a Yaris who nearly took my right arm off when he insisted on overtaking me as I was signalling to turn right.

Best £60 i have ever spent.

chomp
    Free Member

I may drop the seller an email in that case – on the off chance they will either send me a replacement battery or a bit of a refund.

Either way I’m going to look into a couple of spares

reedspeed
    Free Member

I’ve bought a couple of spare batteries & a charger !.

stevied
    Free Member

Any links reedspeed?

inigomontoya
    Free Member

I get about an hour recording, I did get about 35 minutes first time, not sure if the improvement was due to giving the battery a charge cycle or disabling HDR? My down button has now totally stopped working but got a full refund from accmart. To be fair I didn’t find anything I need to use that button for, on and record is all I need! May have to speak to you at some point Steve regarding your soldering skills, if I can find a suitable replacement switch!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

In age of £99 GoPros are these still worth considering?

the 99 quid Go Pro is an SJ4000 competitor with a brand name mark up. Whether you think its worth more is a different matter – it’s 3 times the price of some of the cameras posted on this thread.

A mate of mine has a Go Pro 3. Having seen the camera I got from this thread and the footage it produced first time out he is a little p1ssed off.

smurfly13
    Free Member

I get about 80 mins from my battery no issues – they do some higher capacity batteries on ebay – but haven’t bought one so can’t vouch for the quality!

DickBarton

Higher capacity batteries (and charger) – http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00R4C2LXQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Mine arrived today and I’m charging them just now…won’t know until weekend at earliest to see how long they last.

smurfly13
    Free Member

That’s the same one I was looking at on Ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131386385613?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

For £7 posted its got to be worth the risk!!
    Let us know how they do DickBarton

DickBarton

Will do…first one has charged so I’ll go plug it in and see what happens!

chomp
    Free Member

no news on how the battery worked – does this mean it’s blown up and burnt his house down?

DickBarton

Haha, sorry…new battery works fine, but I’ve not had a chance to use it so no idea how much longer it runs…

Second one is almost charged as well so I’ll be able to try it twice to see if the run time is consistent between the 2 units.

geoffj

Can anyone recommend a supplier with reasonable delivery times – 1-3 days if possible?
    Also, how are folk getting on with the wifi version?

Viewing 40 posts - 241 through 280 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!’ is closed to new replies.