Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 417 total)
  • PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!
  • willard

Yeah, mine is supposed to be here between the 7th and the 27th of November. I’ve not had much luck with stuff shipped from China recently. My SDR never arrived and the vendor claimed the postie might have stolen it. They have shipped another one anyway.

Let’s hope this one turns up.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

Has anyone had there’s yet? I had an attempted delivery card yesterday but was in work 🙁 anyone else had theirs yet, can’t think of anything else I’ve ordered so hopefully that will be it! Wife’s home today so hopefully they will try again!

DavidB
    Free Member

I bought one of these via Amazon and it arrived within 2 days. Tested it today on commute to work and I am very happy with picture quality. BUT forward facing mic is non-existent when camera is in the casing. I tried talking to the camera from the front of the bike and it picks up nothing. I am guessing this is due to the case but am a bit disappointed by sound pick up. If the sound could be made better this would be an excellent buy.

buck53

Picked mine up from the depot today, not had chance to have a proper play but the firmware confirms it’s definitely an SJCAM SJ4000.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Mine still has not arrived, hopefully it should be here before the weekend.

I bought one of these via Amazon and it arrived within 2 days. Tested it today on commute to work and I am very happy with picture quality. BUT forward facing mic is non-existent when camera is in the casing. I tried talking to the camera from the front of the bike and it picks up nothing. I am guessing this is due to the case but am a bit disappointed by sound pick up. If the sound could be made better this would be an excellent buy.

The case is waterproof so it also sound proof, you may have got a 2nd door for the case with some holes in it which allow sound (and water) thru. Give it a go if you know it’s not gonna rain. 😉

I use the waterproof door always myself, it just tends to pick up bike noises/vibrations.

aracer
    Free Member

Can I just confirm that is an EvoMtb one, and that the firmware is a standard way of checking it is genuine? (I’ll google anyway, but nice to know if somebody else has confirmation). Might just go for it in that case, thanks for being the guinea pig!

willard

Gah! Mine is still not here!

buck53

Yep, ordered through EvoMTB. Firmware name/version is the easiest way to test with one in your hand, IMO. Firmware is not the latest version as standard but can be updated online.

buck53

Also just checked against the ‘how to spot a fake’ article. I’m 100% happy it’s a genuine SJ4000. Hope that helps someone.

spacemonkey

@buck53: I hope you’re right but looking at the EvoMTB site I can’t help but think they’re a tad dubious. In4dealz images, no phone number and a shoddy Facebook site = questionable authenticity IMO. Connected with Amazon but that means diddly squat.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Not heard anything about mine for a couple of weeks now.

Can any one recommend a cheap/good chest strap?

DickBarton

Apparently only 8 yellow units left…so I grabbed one whilst it was at £34.65, I’ll get the latest firmware so it’ll be updated when it arrives.

DickBarton

Chest mount – £9 – mine arrived earlier this week and it appears to be the same as a GoPro chest Mount – I’ve not tried it yet but I’ve worn it in the house and it seems to be ok.

Also, Mount Accessories – £13 – again, they all seem to be great, but not tried them yet.

I’ve got a Drift Innovations Ghost camera and it uses a standard 1/4″ screw for the mount and the accessories kit had this plus the go-pro attachment and it appears I’ve got better helmet mount now than the one I had.

spacemonkey

Anyone been using the wifi with an Android device? Reviews on Play Store make out it’s pretty cack.

spacemonkey

Delivery on those EvoMTB versions (via Amazon) is 5 weeks else pay £26 for 3-4 days.

dhyetiman
    Free Member

I picked up a go pro chesty mount second hand For peanuts off a mate, eBay perhaps?

woody21
    Free Member

I take it that the Novatek and the Efine as seen on Amazon are copies?

dhyetiman
    Free Member

The novatek on this thread isn’t a copy, it’s the genuine sjcam one. Not sure what you mean by efine?

aracer
    Free Member

OK, was going to go for one, but then went through the basket / checkout process. Am I really the first to notice that EvoMTB isn’t actually a shop front at all, simply fronting for other people’s Amazon shops (I presume they get some sort of kickback)? If you try buying different things they’re “selling”, you actually end up buying from different people on Amazon. In the case of the SJ4000 it appears to be a company called accmart for the yellow and black ones (though the silver one is from a different company called 99digitals, hence the difference in price)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JA0LQAE/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXA2QK0H4UA9Y
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00JA0LQ2C/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AXA2QK0H4UA9Y
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00NJNC7RY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2FCWVJ5NMRNRU

This would also explain the shipping time, as if you check the “Offers for this product” http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/offer-listing/B00JA0LQAE/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new it says that Accmart is shipping from Hong Kong, so you could (and should) be liable to pay VAT on the import, and you’re likely to have little to no protection or opportunity to return if you have a problem as it won’t be covered under distance selling.

Maybe still a decent deal, but actually no more reassuring than anything else shipped direct from China or HK with an Amazon shopfront.

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Still waiting for mine from EvoMTB.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s not coming from EvoMTB

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. Still waiting for the one I ordered via EvoMTB. </pedant version>

buck53

so you could (and should) be liable to pay VAT on the import, and you’re likely to have little to no protection or opportunity to return if you have a problem as it won’t be covered under distance selling.

Just in case anyone is interested, I didn’t pay any import duty on mine, I’m willing to take a gamble on any problems at the price. There’s a surprising amount of info online if any problems do crop up, so I’d have a fighting chance of fixing any problems.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’m off to look for trouble on my commute. 😉

spacemonkey

Does the SJ4000 (wifi version, if that makes a difference) charge off a laptop/PC or normal USB charger plug? Or does it require the official charger? Ta

winston
    Free Member

Lidl are doing £80 wifi enabled HD action cam on Thursday. Waterproof to 60m so perfect for the coming winter then…

DickBarton

I’m not overly bothered about who is taking my money, at that price for what appears to be a genuine product, it’s worth purchasing. I’ve got a couple of links, and I’m trying to track down an outline of what the latest firmware includes so that when it arrives and I update the firmware then I’ll have an idea of what is new.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

I use iMovie or Ableton.

Mine arrived today, I haven’t had a chance to play with it get but comparing it to my existing one it looks like the real deal.

ads678

Not got mine yet. Ordered through Evo mtb, not so worried as the despatch email did say it could take up to the 27th, but I want to play with it……

spacemonkey

Ordered the wifi version through Bang Good (ooh er) yesterday. Chose shipping from UK warehouse which means 1-3 days delivery but unfortunately no battery charger … hence my question a couple of days ago.

I’m hoping this means the missing bit is just the plug (as maybe they only have overseas versions) and not what looks like the battery cradle thingy. Have loads of normal USB plugs lying around, so can anyone confirm if the battery charges in this way or needs a specific cradle (that may not be in the UK package)? I asked the question of BG on Sunday and received a reply last night stating I should buy a USB plug – but I’m not 100% convinced.

Ta

buck53

Yeah, it charges via USB cable, there’s no cradle needed, the charging circuit is in the camera. The only thing you’ll need to check is that the voltage of the wall adaptor you use matches. Off the top of my head I think that it’s 5v but can’t confirm as I’m not with the unit at the moment.

spacemonkey

Hmm, didn’t think about the voltage being an issue. Is that why people have reported the battery won’t charge when connected to a laptop/PC etc?

Re cradle, I thought one of these was necessary to charging? Maybe not – perhs it just speeds up the charging process?

buck53

Hmm, didn’t think about the voltage being an issue. Is that why people have reported the battery won’t charge when connected to a laptop/PC etc?

Yup.

perhs it just speeds up the charging process?

Nope. Another chance to charge you a few quid, innit.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Mine has charged no problem, weather plugged into a cheapy USB wall adaptor, or one of many laptops. It can take longer to charge if your charger doesn’t supply enough current, but it will charge regardless. The included USB cable isn’t bad either, I’ve used others and they work also.

Also my one from the evomtb link came with a US mains to USB adaptor, along with a travel adaptor for the UK, so you should have everything you need apart from a micro SD card.

spacemonkey

Excellent. My SJ4000 has now shipped (from within UK) so hopefully I’ll receive it in time for filming some trails on Sunday. Forgot to order the chesty mount and micro SD card so ta for the reminder.

stevied
    Free Member

What SD card are people using for these? I’ve got one on the way so need to get a card for it..
    Thanks

stevied
    Free Member

Mine just arrived. There’s a hell of a lot of bits that come with it. Unfortunately it’s a Chrimbo present so can’t use it yet 🙁

toffer
    Free Member

Anyone bought one of the Lidl versions? I work for them and have put one aside for if I decide to, just not sure whether to now I know I can get the sj4000 one for half the price!

willard

Mine’s turned up in the post today as well. From the look of it, it’s a genuine one. Now, I had planned on going out on the bike this weekend, but was wavering slightly (what with it being cold and wet and all). This might make me a bit more determined.

Or I could go out on the kayak for a paddle.

spacemonkey

Bit of technical review video here if anyone’s interested.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0naqkArxUcE#t=939[/video]

Forgot to order the bloody SD card again = ggrhrrhhrhrhhgghh. Don’t fancy trying a “slow” 10mps high street jobby so looks like waiting for Amazon shipment for Monday. Arse biscuits.

Comparison of micro SD card performances specific to filming/photography.

spacemonkey

Looking through the article above I’m wondering if the reason that some footage (including Go Pros etc) looks a bit sh1t is because of the quality/speed of the SD card? I assume some won’t function at HD and some will just be downright sh1t for even 720?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 417 total)

The topic ‘PSA – GoPro alternative (sj4000) less than 40 quid!’ is closed to new replies.