Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • PSA; Goldeneye N64 now available for XBOX/Switch
  • timmys

I would say this qualifies as a PSA as it almost slipped me by, as I don’t really follow gamer news, but as of this morning a remastered version of Goldeneye N64 is available for XBOX and Nintendo Switch. Goodbye weekend.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2023/01/after-25-years-goldeneye-007-gets-its-first-modern-rerelease-friday/

By the way, if this is your bag and you didn’t catch it, there was a great documentary released last year called Goldenera. Seems to be available on demand on Sky/NowTV, or for purchase elsewhere (AppleTV, Prime).

65″ of Goldeneye baby!

funkmasterp

Have fond memories of the split screen multiplayer. One of my closest friends, sadly no longer with us, used to ply me with beer in an attempt to get me drunk so he could beat me. I just ended up drunk and still winning 😀 spent way too much time on that game.

flicker
    Free Member

Multiplayer perfection!
    One shot kills, slappers only, proximity mines, fantastic memories 😀

lankystreakofpee

There has been schoolboy like excitement on my mates group chat this week. Unfortunately they all have a Switch and I don’t so no Donkey Kong mode for me 🙁

v7fmp

this isnt a case of meeting your hero’s is it…. fond memories that turn out to be a bit crap these days?

But yes, 4 of us in our mates living room, my N64, 4 controllers and some good times! Power weapons, proximity mines, facility… and someone running round as oddjob! when life was simpler 🙂

Superficial
    Free Member

Power weapons, proximity mines, facility

Ha, yes. That takes me back…

this isnt a case of meeting your hero’s is it…. fond memories that turn out to be a bit crap these days?

Maybe. I loved that game when I had it as a teenager. Me and two mates used to play it after school religiously – so many great memories. I found it a few years ago on an N64 emulator and played it in single player. The graphics were terrible and the controls were weird, although perhaps they’ve updated these things. The main thing that was missing was a living room full of mates and hours of free time with nothing better to do 🙁

joshvegas
    Free Member

proximity mines

stuck on the bottom of the doors in temple basically everyone just running around getting blown up and random…

cookeaa

What? What?! WHAT?!!!

Yes! That’s my weekend gone and an end to the kids playing Animal Bastard Crossing.

The main thing that was missing was a living room full of mates and hours of free time with nothing better to do

Our Uni house had a pecking order determined by the most recent Golden Eye tournament, said tournaments were pretty much Daily.

I may have let our Nintendo-online sub lapse.
    Important Question: Online multiplayer for various Fat Dads with rose tinted memories of the original, will that be available?

timmys

Important Question: Online multiplayer for various Fat Dads with rose tinted memories of the original, will that be available?

Heresy I know, but I’m not that bothered about multiplayer. However, from the article I linked in the OP it seems to be the Nintendo version has online multiplayer (and local?), whereas the Xbox only has local multiplayer.

yoshimi

Nice TV cabinet!

pondo

Oh man – how much are XBoxes or Switches?

timmys

Nice TV cabinet!

Thanks, bloody Xbox is the only thing that won’t fit in it of course!

Wally

Twin RC-P90 memories.

5lab

Oh man – how much are XBoxes or Switches?

more than n64s 😉

petefromearth

Such a brilliant game

Was in 6th at the time, my mate lived in the house opposite school, we used to run across and play it religiously at break times, leaving the house precisely 3 seconds before the next lesson

The single player was just as good as the multilayer imo, not many games can boast that

teethgrinder

Bought an N64 not long ago to play it. Just need the telly to show 4:3 and not 16:9

halifaxpete

Yaaaas! Hopefully it’ll be available for us plebs who still use a ye olde Xbox One

myti
    Free Member

Aw happy memories of 1st year at Uni. 4 of us lined up in a row on the single bed in halls of residence. We literally had a 5 inch box of screen each as Andy’s tele was tiny but we didn’t care. Not sure I’d want to revisit it now. I’d like to keep it as a special memory and I’m on PS4 anyway. Still having fun wasting time gaming with new friends but they are in a different house these days.

jon1973
    Free Member

Fantastic memories of me and 3 mates playing Goldeneye, split screen on a 14″ TV. Can’t remember having so much fun playing a video game since. My nephew now 23 has my old n64 and a box full of games. He’s into his retro gaming and still plays it on an old crt TV that has a scart connecter. Happy days.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Power weapons and proxies, bring it on.

Licence to Kill slappers or throwing knives were ridiculous, had to do it at least once.

Only ever bettered by Perfect Dark. **** Farsight camping bastards!

and someone running round as oddjob!

Cheat! Also a cheat if you play as the Moonraker midget.

5lab

Tried it last night on the switch, the controls are garbage. Even after reassigning they’re way too sensitive

ajantom

You can play Goldeneye on a Raspberry Pi with Retropie installed 😎
    Costs a lot less than an Xbox!!!

politecameraaction
    Free Member

I bought an N64 and GoldenEye off eBay, played it religiously for 6 months, and then sold it for exactly the same price I bought it (probably to someone of the exact same demographic). It was just as awesome as I remembered.

jamj1974

Tried it last night on the switch, the controls are garbage. Even after reassigning they’re way too sensitive

Sorry to say – but I agree. The Xbox version released simultaneously is better.

I’ve never stopped playing the N64 version on the N64 or Raspberry Pi.

pictonroad

Well, one for the consequences of aging thread.

My 11yr old has relentlessly thrashed me on this all afternoon. He picked it up immediately and I can’t get near the little sod on any map.

Reminds me of being a kid playing against my mum on the amiga.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.