• This topic has 15 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Olly.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • PSA – Ghosts S4 on iPlayer
  • beamers
    kelvin

Caught the first episode on BBC1. Ace, of course.

stumpyjon

Ah saw that on the guide this evening, didn’t realise it was a new series.

supernova

Great stuff.

mrmoofo

Odd – I watched two episodes of series one
    Was it made for kids?

colournoise

Was it made for kids?

Yes. And no. And maybe. If you’re asking that question maybe it’s not for you.

It is, of course, brilliant. Trying to avoid the urge to binge and instead watch it old school each week.

Robin needs his own spin off series…

tthew

Excellent, thanks beamers. Was going to bed, but I think I could force down a whiskey and watch one…

funkrodent

Luuuurve ghosts. Haven’t seen it yet as missus is away on girls weekend. Monday night is the night and will also be stretching it out across weeks.

Odd – I watched two episodes of series one
    Was it made for kids?

It’s a gentle – and in places very funny – comedy, predicated on the not unknown dramatic device and farcical nature of a bunch of people from very different backgrounds thrown together against their will and having to coexist.

Of course there is a twist to this – spoiler ⚠️- which is that most of the protagonists are ghosts! Over time their back stories are woven into the narrative, adding context and colour.

It was written by (and stars) a whole bunch of actors, many of whom were responsible for (or contributed to) the Horrible Histories phenomenon, so takes lots of cues from that. Appeals to kids for sure, but it is an adult comedy series first and foremost.

Like other somewhat esoteric comedies (I’m thinking detectorists) it rewards commitment to the first few episodes and gets better and better the more you understand, and buy into, the characters and the cast

whatgoesup

This makes me happy, it’s a great series. Doesn’t take itself too seriously.

There’s an “Inside” series on BBC sounds for this series as well. I’ve not listened yet but the first one is downloaded ready for listening to in the car.

BBC Sounds Link

ampthill

Mrs Ampthill spotted this earlier. I’m looking forward to it

In related news driving home from work yesterday I told my 22 year old daughter that I didn’t really know the basics of the English civil war. So she sang the entire song about it from Horrible Histories

revs1972
    Free Member

They should just scrap history teachers and play horrible histories videos to the kids 😉

supernova

That troop are geniuses.

beamers

Episode 2, “Julian’s fingering, Fanny’s lip.”

Brilliant.

Harry_the_Spider

Episode 3. Someone gets “Sucked Off”!

jp-t853

This series is going really well, I think you can tell we are post covid restrictions.
    I am resisting and watching them in line with the TV schedules to saviour it because I am a bit worried about being ‘sucked off’. I might dodge this thread if there are going to be spoilers.
    As an aside the BBC Uncanny podcast which is about ghost stories has an enjoyable episode with ‘Robin’ which is a bit of fun and gives some insights in to the stories in the TV program.

Olly
    Free Member

Pool pool, table table, tennis tennis

This line had me creased. I think that’s a REALLY good joke, slipped in too briefly.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.