Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)
  • PSA: Gerber Multi tool
  • Cougar

Locking blade is not metioned specifically in the legislation.

No, but ‘fixed blade’ is, and there’s been a test case where a lock knife is classified as a fixed blade for legislation purposes. So yes, a locking knife is illegal to carry without good reason, even if it’s got a less than 3″ blade.

If challenged, it’d be down to you to demonstrate that “I need it to fix my bike” is good enough reason. Why, specifically, do you need a locking knife rather than a regular one?

In practical terms, police are trained to apply a degree of common sense and should be able to tell the difference between a bike maintenance tool zipped into a bag when cycling, and a lad in the pub with a bag of class As in one pocket and a 6″ lock knife in the other, so it’s unlikely you’ll get done for it. However, it’s a risk as you’re relying on the whim of a copper who might just be having a bad day.

richmtb

As an aside the Gerber Suspension isn’t a patch on my Leatherman but then it was only £18

peterfile
    Free Member

However, it’s a risk as you’re relying on the whim of a copper who might just be having a bad day.

Being charged by a miserable copper is one thing, but the chance of it making it past PF/CPS (and then even judicial) scrutiny is a lot more remote.

crispedwheel
    Free Member

Cougar – do you know how much the Gerber dime weighs please? I’m thinking of getting one – mainly because I want the pliers option. Thanks

Helios
    Free Member

If challenged, it’d be down to you to demonstrate that “I need it to fix my bike” is good enough reason. Why, specifically, do you need a locking knife rather than a regular one?

Not sure that’s the correct distinction. You don’t need to prove you need a locking blade instead of a regular one, you only have to demonstrate you need the tool itself – not that there are no alternatives you could have picked instead.

The law isn’t there to limit your choice over the right tool for the job – it’s to say that if you have a locking blade, even under 3 inches, you need a reason to carry it. Your reason wouldn’t be invalid through the fact that a similar tool might have a non-locking blade.

Helios
    Free Member

God how dull did I just sound? Can you tell I’m sat here waiting for my stupidly complex spreadsheet to finish calculating?

zilog6128

I would argue that a non-locking knife on a tool such as this is potentially dangerous to the user.

Anyway, my Suspension has just arrived. Bit shit quality compared to a Leatherman quite frankly (would feel proper mugged if I’d paid RRP) but not bad for £18 so thanks to OP for the PSA!

lilchris
    Free Member

…a locking knife blade which is illegal in the UK

Sure you’re not confusing “Lock”, with “Flick”, which to the best of my knowledge are illegal

singletracked
    Free Member

what’s that little wotsit with the hole in, between the snippers and the little flat screwdriver?

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Mine finally turned up.. seems pretty good quality for a tenner..

wwaswas

for a lanyard I thought?

singletracked
    Free Member

what’s a lanyard for?

oh, i see, not convinced though

wwaswas

tying it to a belt loop or somethign so you don’t lose it if you drop it.

like this;

boblo
    Free Member

@www looks a bit ‘Brokeback Mountain’ that does 🙂

Cougar

Cougar – do you know how much the Gerber dime weighs please?

66g, according to my kitchen scales.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Just noticed they’re back down to the original prices (£9 and £18) if anyone missed out on them last time..

the_lecht_rocks

Got one thanks L

CountZero

This just reminded me, so I’ve just ordered the Grylls one for £9. Nice. 😀 Thanks for the tip.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Ordered. ffs I really need to stop reading psa’s on here!!

ronjeremy
    Free Member

Ummed and Arghhed for a while about if I needed one or not and have now just ordered the suspension, as down to £18 (like saving less than £2 pushed me over the edge)

Never mind I’m sure I’ll find a use for it

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Thought I’d bump the thread as the Gerber multi tools all seem to be half price or less again, free postage too.

Gerber Suspension for £19.69
    Gerber Bear Grylls Compact for £12.85

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I bought the Bear Grylls compact one, only used it a couple of times but seems pretty well made – probably would only buy direct from Amazon and not the cheaper Chinese 3rd party sellers though cos those ones are probably fake I imagine.

chewkw
    Free Member

Last week I bought 3 Leatherman Wingman for £35 each from my local hunting / fishing shop as presents.

It was a choice between Wingman and Gerber Suspension but somehow I opted for Leatherman as they look more sturdy … my opinion …

Now I need to buy 3 more but budget is getting low … arrghhh …

🙁

joeydeacon
    Free Member

My mate has one of the Leathermans and they do seem pretty good, well built etc.. I only use my Gerber very occasionally, and it feels pretty solid.. ideal for me cos I wanted a multi tool that I can carry about but not be too bothered if I lose it cos it was only a tenner. Would be pretty gutted to lose an expensive Leatherman..

bencooper
    Free Member

Would be pretty gutted to lose an expensive Leatherman..

I had a Charge Ti which I lent to a courier to open a parcel, and forgot to ask for it back. Good excuse to get a Charge Tti 😉

righog
    Free Member

Well I have been using the original PSA’s Gerber solid for the last three weeks, It’s been great, had it on my belt while doing up the new house and used it countless times. The belt pouch is now knackered and it is covered in drywall adhesive, think I will check out the new link and get myself a new one and maby some for chrimbo presents.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Yeah they come in pretty handy – maybe not such much for bike related stuff, lack of allen keys etc, but useful for mending stuff round the house or out and about.

mattbee

Love my Gerbers. Got a Crucial for bike duties as it’s handy to have a knife and pliers. The bottle opener has probably been used more than anything else though. My Urban Legend has been a fantastic bit of kit too, used it loads for work recently. It just hangs on my harness and this week alone has saved me from lugging proper tools around all day.
    May have to treat myself to an early Christmas present for a backup to throw in the van…

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Whilst flicking through the Gerbers on Amazon I found this. Probably been done before but some of the product reviews are ace!

Wenger Swiss Army Knife

ski
    Free Member

JD thanks for the heads up

bland

Get this on

Gerber Compact Sport Multi-Plier 400 – SS for £16 plus p&p as its a bit longer so makes the pliers damn useful, mine has been great

damitamit
    Free Member

The Bear Grylls compact was actually cheaper in October: http://uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Gerber-Bear-Grylls-Compact-Multi-Tool/product/B004DT2912

scaredypants

that’s a very interesting link, damit 8)

joeydeacon
    Free Member

That Camel site is pretty depressing as kinda shows that whenever you buy something it’s always the wrong time.. also interesting to note just how little time a product has to be sold at the supposed retail price for them to be able to legally advertise the product as “Save £££ on RRP”.. seems to be RRP for a week and then half price for the next five years…

Viewing 34 posts - 41 through 74 (of 74 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Gerber Multi tool’ is closed to new replies.