Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)
  • PSA Garmin 800's at a good price £166
  • meeeee
    Free Member

Amazon at the moment £166 which seems like a good deal if you dont need the phone connectivity of the 810, and its only about £30 more than the 500.

Amazon prices do fluctuate a bit sometimes though so not sure how long it’ll stay at this price.

Vortexracing

cheers, a mate has just pointed this out at work as well and I’m now a proud owner of one. 😀

ta very muchly

muddy9mtb

be aware no maps with this garmin. base maps are useless, open street maps can be used but not as detailed as a good old OS map. (and before someone jumps in about vectors and rastors… I just like os even though they are rubbish up close

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I think there are free maps somewhere for trails.

DrP

I assume that the memory map overlays (which are OS) can’t be used with these.
    If I knew someone with the OS base maps, could I use those maps too….??

DrP

meeeee
    Free Member

you can get full uk coverage OS discoverer from ioffer for about £20

muddy9mtb

memory maps will not work with garmin they are a different format and cannot be converted (already tried that I have both now!). you cannot use someone else s maps either as once connected to the internet the device is checked for duplication. There are 2 sets of maps included with the basecamp software “garmin base maps” that are uselss and “open street maps” which are okay but as said not as detailed as OS.

Vortexracing

that what I got for my Touring and what I intend to use on my 800.

muddy9mtb

are they legal? to buy from legitimate source would cost far more.

njee20
    Free Member

Where? Can’t see em!

Edit: found them, mental. Will they work on an Edge 1000 do we know? Can’t see why not!

Edit edit: they’re here if anyone fancies a punt, I’ve ordered some.

Edit edit edit:

I’m dubious, I must say!

DrP

Arrrhhh…
    I’ve an edge 605 which I love, but I also love shiny new things..

I’ve got basic Open source mapping on the 605, ut not sure the 800 will offer more of what I need:
    route recording
    route planning using memory map

DrP

meeeee
    Free Member

I’m dubious, I must say!

well mine came with a garmin sticker and a hologram seal which is good enough for me 😆

They probably arent legal, but they work, and after having bought most of the north of england on paper maps, memory map and viewranger formats over the years i dont see why i should really pay Ordnance Survey again for the same maps just because a company is using a slightly different digital format to others. But everyone can make their own moral judgement on this 🙂

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee how are you finding the edge1000? is it an improvement over the previous models?

I guess the mapping above in the link would look a tad better on the larger screen of the 1000

still to dear for me mind, but maybe in a while when they’ve dropped I maybe tempted, especially if you can get the OS mapping for £20!

nemesis
    Free Member

Thanks for the PSA. Anyone want to buy my 605? 🙂 (seriously though, will be selling it now – great way to get a relatively cheap GPS with mapping)

Does anyone know if my existing talkytoaster map downloads for the 605 will work with the 800?

njee20
    Free Member

njee how are you finding the edge1000? is it an improvement over the previous models?

I had a 705 before, so it’s a big step up from that. The screen resolution is excellent (I believe a chunk better than the 800/810), the large screen is nice, and the backlight having a light sensor means it’s nice and visible all the time.

It’s a bit buggy – I got the Bluetooth LE to connect when I first got it (to get the phone alerts and stuff), but it’s never worked since, won’t connect, says it’s timed out etc. You can’t turn off turn by turn navigation, even if you save a course it gives you full turn by turn navigation, a friend said it was massively frustrating on the SDW – it kept trying to divert him to the roads (I suspect that’s in the settings). The temperature on mine seems a little dubious, often seems to under read. It’s also **** huge!

The Garmin Segments thing is quite neat, and I’ve recently found a tool that lets you send Strava segments to it – they pop up on screen when you enter a segment and it gives you real time progress against a chosen time (your PB, the KoM etc) – which feels how Strava should be!

I’m very happy with it though, nicer than the 705 for sure, not entirely sure I’d upgrade from an 800 though.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool cheers, its the screen idea I like more so, especially the clarity of the os mapping on the much larger screen (compared to 800/810)

it does look huge though as you say, ive not seen one in the flesh yet either, it does have a look of a smartphone moreso than a cycle computer

does it use the same mounting system as edge 510/810/705 etc? as in you didn’t have to buy a new outfront mount? (as I had mine specially made from racewaredirect due to 35mm bar diameter)

nemesis
    Free Member
    dirtyrider
    Free Member

^^ does it show power/cadence

Vortexracing

I originally bought my Ioffer 1:50K maps for my etrex 20 they worked on that and they work on the My Garmin touring.

so i would hope it works on ost garmin devices

njee20
    Free Member

it does look huge though as you say, ive not seen one in the flesh yet either, it does have a look of a smartphone moreso than a cycle computer

does it use the same mounting system as edge 510/810/705 etc? as in you didn’t have to buy a new outfront mount? (as I had mine specially made from racewaredirect due to 35mm bar diameter)

It is big, it’s within 10mm the length of my iPhone 5, same width, and deeper.

It does use the same mounts, but you’ll potentially need a longer out front mount – depends how close to your bar clamp it sits, you’d have to try it. Stem mounts and quarter turn mounts are the same. Personally I’m using a quarter turn mount on the stem on my road bikes and a SRAM Quickview above my stem on the MTB.

I know you’re a Surrey Hills native – I’ll be at Beyond Mountain Bikes in Cranleigh next Saturday if you want to come and poke one and play with it – try it on your bars too if you want.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

njee – not a surrey hills native – im from the peak district area, although we have chatted in the past via email etc, but thankyou for the offer all the same

my garmin outfront mount actually sits over the stem (run backwards so to speak) as its on a 50mm stem, so I cant really see it being an issue, it would just be weird to look down and think its like having my IPhone on the mount, but im sure id get used to it

im only running a 510 at the mo, but do miss the mapping if im honest, especially doing stuff solo on new bits, following the breadcrumb line with no mapping is easy enough if you know the area roughly (and it still gives distance to next turn etc which works), but you can beat having OS maps, especially on a larger screen, cheers for the info though, your about the only person I know of who has one

njee20
    Free Member

njee – not a surrey hills native – im from the peak district area, although we have chatted in the past via email etc, but thankyou for the offer all the same

Apologies, I was thinking you were down here! The OSM maps are pretty good for showing paths, was using it last night to get around, and they are good, be interesting to see how the OS maps are in comparison!

nemesis
    Free Member

It varies. I’ve just moved about 10 miles from Bristol and I’m finding that OSM around here is much patchier than around Bristol – obviously I can (and will) do something about that by updating OSM myself but right now, while I’m exploring and learning the area, I think I’m going to get ‘proper’ OS maps.

FWIW, I did find though on my mobile phone GPS (via the thread I linked above) that OS maps (OruxMaps app) were actually too detailed sometimes which cluttered the screen up making it actually harder to navigate but maybe the Garmin version is not quite identical?

andyl
    Free Member

how do those maps compare to the free ones available?

I’ve got an etrex 20 I’ve not fired up yet as I still need to get a bike mount. Tempted by the 800 but not sure I will gain much (just want something small and reliable that I can check for bridleways etc)

njee20
    Free Member

how do those maps compare to the free ones available?

The OS ones? I’m not totally sure, I’m hoping they’ll be like this:

My OSM ones (as included with Edge 1000, and available FOC) look basically like this:

nemesis
    Free Member

Google images suggests that they do look like ‘proper’ OS

Crell
    Free Member

I don’t like navigating with the OS map. As above it’s too cluttered to glance at while riding. I use it as a backup, it’s loaded but usually set it to display OSM maps instead.At that price it’s a bargain

njee20
    Free Member

That was my concern, I used to turn the detail down on City Navigator maps as actually most of it was noise. I think the additional ‘context’ of an OS map is useful – OSM is basically just roads, paths, and any POIs folk have added (very few near me).

Junkyard
    Free Member

they look like proper OS Maps as they are the proper OS maps

Not sure about on that device but when used they are full OS mapping

Pridds

Cheers for that. 800 and the mapping ordered and thats me not getting anything else for birthday or Christmas.

muddy9mtb

nemesis – that screenshot is a proper Ordnance survey map. Open street map is the one above with more green. (as mentioned already) I like OS maps for the detail but can understand they can be cluttered at times, and the accuracy is off due to the way they have been created or copied into digital format (i.e. photocopied!) thus you can be on top of a bridleway according to the map and when you look round????? it’s buried in a field 50 yards away. the OSM maps are said to be more accurate as they are created digitally from the start, but as they are open source and rely on people to fill them in, well… reminds of the blackadder sketch

nemesis
    Free Member

I know which is which 🙂

I was responding to this by njee

The OS ones? I’m not totally sure, I’m hoping they’ll be like this:

torsoinalake
    Free Member

It looks like these don’t sync over ANT+ to your PC, but need to be plugged in via USB?

Is that right?

njee20
    Free Member

I like OS maps for the detail but can understand they can be cluttered at times, and the accuracy is off due to the way they have been created or copied into digital format

Shame the digital OS maps are less accurate, I thought the whole point was that they were better? Surely the raison d’etre of a map is to tell you where you are (and something the OSM maps are very good at), if the OS maps are out by 50ft or so then it strikes me they’re largely useless, other than looking pretty?

Oh well, only £20 lost if they don’t work for me!

nemesis
    Free Member

Yes – that’s the real benefit of the 810 over the 800 – wireless data transfer.

njee20
    Free Member

Which (IMO) is not worth the extra £100 the 810 will cost you!

nemesis
    Free Member

As I mentioned previously, I use an android app which can download OS maps directly from the official source. I find these spot on for accuracy (in terms of position, OS does still miss some paths) so I’d be surprised if the Garmin version is way out.

nemesis
    Free Member
    muddy9mtb

It looks like these don’t sync over ANT+ to your PC, but need to be plugged in via USB?

Is that right? usb only for 800 and wireless for 810 (look for the “10” if you want wireless)
    and

Shame the digital OS maps are less accurate

I’ve got use to it now, it’s a polite way of telling you to stop looking at the map and realise where you are…it’s a navigation aid after all not a guide, not much different from carry the proper paper map around…which is what most people are used to looking at
    and maybe not 50ft…but you do have to look around for clues

torsoinalake
    Free Member

Cheers folks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘PSA Garmin 800's at a good price £166’ is closed to new replies.