Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • PSA Garmin 800's at a good price £166
  • Flaperon

I bought the 1:25000 national parks maps for my Edge 800, makes navigating a dream. If you shop around you will – eventually – find legit ones cheap. I got mine from a Blacks that was closing down for £15 each.

Edit: Though as a UK tax-payer I have no personal objection to you sourcing said maps from the internet.

njee20
    Free Member

Though as a UK tax-payer I have no personal objection to you sourcing said maps from the internet.

Errm, thanks, I’m glad my buying habits meet your satisfaction 😕

muddy9mtb

view a comparison of OSM and OS here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0McZlDi6Yis
    I think your “blacks” bargain was just that… and not repeated.
    when it comes to sourcing the OS maps they change how they are sold on a regular basis… ergo you said “national parks” which is not the same as FULL UK maps. and with that I use memory map 1:25K…. such a shame I cannot use them on the garmin

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Yes – that’s the real benefit of the 810 over the 800 – wireless data transfer.

hardly a hardship plugging it in, garmin express auto does it, sendings data to Training Peaks/Strava automatically, charges at the same time, easy

Andy

Drat, just bought an Edge touring 🙁

nemesis
    Free Member

Given that the ioffer version is unlikely to be legit, I’m slightly surprised that people aren’t just torrent downloading the maps since that’s almost certainly what they’ve done… just a thought.

So, how much are the legit ones?

DrP

Just ordered one whilst price is low…
    Can always return if the mapping situatin doesn’t live up…

DrP

njee20
    Free Member

So, how much are the legit ones?

£200 from Garmin.

muddy9mtb

correct, that’s £200 for full 1:50K. if you want full 1:25K they are NOT available (?) you have to purchase park by park (or area) at £60 a pop (!)!)!)!)!). of the non legit version I don’t know how they have cracked codes, the device is checked when plugged into the pc?
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-GB/GB/maps/on-the-trail-maps/c452-c456-p0.html

njee20
    Free Member

The ioffer ones are just 1:50k, I don’t think anyone’s doing 1:25k for the whole country, because I don’t think they exist…?

of the non legit version I don’t how they have cracked codes, the device is checked when plugged into the pc?

I imagine that’s a Garmin safeguard, not an OS one – similar to being able to buy non-legit Apple Lightning cables.

njee20
    Free Member

Maps turned up today, which in itself is very impressive. They look good, resolution’s not as sharp as the OSM maps on the 1000, but it overlays some of the data from the OSMs – so I’ve got some road names on the OS map. Seems good, I’ll see what they’re like in use. Well chuffed for £20.

DrP

Have you compared them to ‘official’ones? Day, on another Garmin?
    Or do you think they are identical-as in what you would get if you bought from is?

DrP

dudeofdoom

up to £199 on amazon now 🙁

njee20
    Free Member

Have you compared them to ‘official’ones? Day, on another Garmin?
    Or do you think they are identical-as in what you would get if you bought from is?
    DrP

I’ve not, I doubt they’d be any different if I’m honest, I suspect it’s the superior resolution on the Edge 1000. It’s perfectly usable, just not as crisp as the OSM maps, but obviously far more detail.

nemesis
    Free Member

I can’t imagine that the ioffer maps are anything other than the same as the official one given the likely source. Interesting that you find the res a bit low, njee.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

What’s the likely source? It does seem suspiciously cheap.

bump on this thread. £166 was a good price.

DrP

Just ordered those maps…

ORDERED
    September 16, 2014
    9:04 am
    PAID
    September 16, 2014
    9:15 am
    SHIPPED
    September 16, 2014
    9:07 am

You don’t get service like that elsewhere 😉

DrP

nemesis
    Free Member

Likely source is that it’s either copied or just downloaded from a torrent – either way it’ll no doubt be the same.

They are clearly well organised with their despatch process though 🙂

Vortexracing

well mine arrived today and I have just switched it on and put the SD card out of my Touring in which is loaded with the Ioffer 1:50K maps

This is what it looks like

[url=https://flic.kr/p/oY8DHX]20140916_215759[/url] by eastham_david, on Flickr

njee20
    Free Member

Mines the same, with random road names overlaid, but the difference in resolution is more marked.

Vortexracing

but the difference in resolution is more marked

you mean yours is less clear?

njee20
    Free Member

Perhaps, hang on…

Edit: actually no, having zoomed out a bit the resolution is better. When zoomed in its really obvious the OS maps get very pixelated, whilst the road names don’t. Still not had a chance to use it. Took a photo, but it won’t upload to Flickr.

muddy9mtb

I’d be interested to know what happens if you connect this to a pc now? will basecamp load these maps and let you create a route? (verification required)

dudeofdoom

Baa guess who lost his mio computer this morning …
    (gutted last nights strava results not uploaded)

(seeing if the big forest will do the 810 for £225)

tenacious_doug
    Free Member

For those that missed this, the Edge 500 is also now at a great price on Amazon. £128 which is the lowest I have seen it.
    Wiggle will also pricematch, if you’d prefer to use them.

nemesis
    Free Member

dude – sell you my 605… 🙂

johnnystorm

The iOffer maps can be switched between devices with no hassles.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Muddy, I have open source maps on my Etrex20, Basecamp recognizes and reads this map when device is connected, it gives me a choice of which map to view in Basecamp.

P20

Ignore 😳

njee20
    Free Member

I’m unsold on the OS maps in normal use. The resolution isn’t good enough when you’re zoomed in, and it’s harder to judge turnings etc when you’re zoomed out.

I can see they’d be good when you’re navigating, but actually as the OSM maps seem to be very comprehensive in terms of bridleways I’m just not sure.

As stated above the OS maps aren’t as accurate either – I’m perpetually riding 20 feet to the side of the roads, whilst the OSM maps are absolutely spot on.

Will keep them, and I’ll try navigating sometime, but not sure. Also because they’re just ‘copied’ from paper maps all the labels are based on north being up, so unless you’re heading north all the road/place names are at funny angles/upside down. OSM is legible all the time.

For £20 I’m happy enough, personally I’d be pissed off if I’d paid £200 though.

leffeboy

And remember with the OSM maps you can fix stuff if it’s wrong. It’s really easy to upload a track and edit anything that’s wrong. It’s also quite possible to ‘roll your own’ map with whatever level of detail suits but that’s another level of difficulty altogether unfortunately.

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘PSA Garmin 800's at a good price £166’ is closed to new replies.