Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • PSA for the drop bar singlespeeders
  • 13thfloormonk

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTRPRRLA/trp-rrl-alloy-road-brake-levers

Cheap TRP brake levers! I had been holding out for the carbon ones or the gunmetal ones, but for £25 posted these should do nicely!

CraigW
    Free Member

Are they much different to the Tektro version, which are usually cheaper than this anyway?

The brown drilled version looks quite nice, retro style, though a bit more expensive. https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTRPRRLSR/trp-rrl-sr-vintage-style-road-brake-levers

Bez

Is there much of a gain over the RL340 at a BARGIN eight quid?

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BLTEKRL340/tektro-rl340-road-aero-brake-levers

(Not sure about weight: PX quote the RL340s at 30g more than the RRLs, but SJS quote them at 30g less…)

trail_rat
    Free Member

Hood shape looks like cut your hand in half than the hateful diacompes.

13thfloormonk

Hah, well despite the underwhelming response I’m fairly pleased with them, lighter than the Tektros (40g, as if that ever made a difference!) and nicer finishing, the quick release button is quite nifty as it springs back when you pull the lever again, fairly pointless really but nice engineering. Hood shape seems similar to Campag hoods as well, less of a ‘horn’ than whatever I have on the bike at the moment.

Having said all that they’re certainly not worth the £90rrp Planet X are showing, which, now I do my research is actually the RRP for the carbon levers after all, so basically I just got played, d’oh!

Bez

the quick release button is quite nifty as it springs back when you pull the lever again

Ooh. That’s actually quite nice 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Ohh tempting. After having to shell out for a new derailleur and hanger on the CAADX I’m tempted to turn it into a singlespeed. I already have one SSCX though, do I need a bling one as well?

13thfloormonk

Bling SSCX is my favourite bling-niche, gutted I missed out on the Cinelli MASH SSCX frame on Wiggle, just too spendy.

Mister-P
    Free Member

This is probably a good place to ask about singlespeed freewheels. I use Shimano MX30 at the moment as I get them very cheaply. However they don’t last long before getting quite noisy and I’ve never had one that’s close to being round which makes setting chain tension a pain. Has anyone used these IRD ones and are they any good?

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/freewheels/16-ird-defiant-332-inch-single-freewheel/

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bling SSCX is my favourite bling-niche, gutted I missed out on the Cinelli MASH SSCX frame on Wiggle, just too spendy.

It’s not that bling! Just more bling than the rim braked Charge Plug SS (which in itself is more bling than necessary with a dynamo light, DT rims mini V’s).

I suppose as it’s SRAM I can just keep the bifters and hydraulic brakes and take the mechs off though.

This is probably a good place to ask about singlespeed freewheels. I use Shimano MX30 at the moment as I get them very cheaply. However they don’t last long before getting quite noisy and I’ve never had one that’s close to being round which makes setting chain tension a pain. Has anyone used these IRD ones and are they any good?

Halo. More “Angry Chris King Buzz” than “loud clicking”. And seems to be lasting well.

I considered White Industries, but the Halo is the same price as the rebuild bits so being able to replace everything bar the threaded bit seemed a bit pointless.

Bez

After a bit of research I went for a Halo recently (I’ve had issues with a Shimano freewheel before) and although I haven’t really used the bike it’s on, it does seem reassuringly well made. And significantly cheaper than that IRD.

I used to use a WI and, while I didn’t want to spend that much this time around, I can’t dispute its value for money: it’s pretty much faultless in use. If I was riding a freewheel a lot of the time I’d be using one of them again.

13thfloormonk

I just bit the bullet and went White Industries, given how crucial a component it is it’s nice to know you’ve got the best in the business.

It’s not that bling! Just more bling than the rim braked Charge Plug SS (which in itself is more bling than necessary with a dynamo light, DT rims mini V’s).

There’s just something about the Plug isn’t there, the temptation to cover it in bling is ridiculously strong! Actually tempted by some Avid Shorty Ultimates so make it better suited as a muddy CX pit bike, and my resistance to building up some HED Belgium Plus rims is getting weaker by the day…

Might even stick a Suntour XCD 120mm freehub on it and turn it into a 7 speed for the purposes of the Paris-Roubaix challenge, too many lower back issues to try it singlespeed!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Bling SSCX is my favourite bling-niche

My blinglespeed is probably my favourite bike now. Trek Crockett with Sram Force and carbon wheels, feels like it weighs nothing and really comfortable on longer rides as well 👌🏻

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Any suggestions for a budget bling upgrade to the Plug?

I don’t mind the rim brakes. But they do feel out of place* on a singlespeed winter bike that’s not just ridden on CX courses.

Thinking a PF30 Chinese frame. But go loud with the colours rather than just plain matt UD carbon.

*particularly when 40 miles into a muddy ride you approach a junction, pull on the brake and there’s no pad left. Stopping distance I can live with, it’s the occasional not stopping at all that bothers me!

Bez

Any suggestions for a budget bling upgrade to the Plug? Thinking a PF30 Chinese frame.

That seems not so much an “upgrade to the Plug” as a “replacement for the Plug” 🙂

Why not downgrade it to a Pompino and then you won’t give a rat’s ass about throwing money at bling to put on it? 😉

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Ta. Just about to build up a new commuter.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I’m putting a good 150 miles a week on my Genesis Flyer so when the current Shimano freewheel gets gritty I’ll go for a Halo and see how that lasts.

kcal

friends gets the Halo ones – they’re absolutely fine; WI lasts some way longer (def. longer) but cost wise, not sure I’d be able to justify it again (says the man with a WI freewheel).

epicyclo

Bez

Why not downgrade it to a Pompino and then you won’t give a rat’s ass about throwing money at bling to put on it?

Downgrade compared to a Plug? Tsk!

Never has there been a more worthy bike than a Pompino of having a wee bit of bling put on it. We agree on that bit. 🙂

TiRed

Decent handbuilt wheels Ihave two sets of Miche Primato low flange, sapim spokes and open pros. Really nice to ride on.

Those levers aren’t bad either

trail_rat
    Free Member

Frame wise – theres isnt much on the market thats 120mm spacing(i have nice fixed 120 wheels) and canti mounts.

hell knows i’ve looked to replace the singlecross because it rides like the most dead thing you ever did ride. I am somewhat tempted to replace it with a road frame and fit the brakes off my zwift bike.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

If your SS frame and forks are flat mount, I’d seriously consider the Shimano 505 set at Merlin, £199 in the sale but they have an extra 20% off promo when added to the basket.

£160 for a hydraulic set that could operate 2×11 is stonking value, even TRP Hylex sets that don’t do gear shifting were £200 last time I looked.

I wish money wasn’t so tight, which is often the case when I spot bargains (my road bike being an exception), because I would love the idea of buying Merlin’s Malt-G1X frame set for £300 and build it up with those 505s and my spare thru axle wheels… Could make build sub £700 quite easy I reckon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Disk brakes would be a big over kill and another level of things to die on what is a cheap bombproof machine.

Stoner
    Free Member

Independently of this thread I was on the look out for some replacement hoods for my Tektro levers. 14 years old, they were the originals from a 2004 Pompino and the hoods had started to go runny. Couldnt find any replacements, but saw NEW levers for £8 on PX!

Some comparison photos:

They are beefier than the originals, wider mouldings and hoods. The pins and pivots appear better quality and with superior tolerances. The lever has had a redesign and is slightly less fussy. Handily though the fitting bracket and cable outer port are identical so you neednt remove the original clamp from your bars, just remove the old lever and do a direct swap to maintain your old lever position.

Also got some PX crab claw mitts. Bloody excellent too.
    And I see DaveL has gone full communist which should stir many a leftie loin in here.
    What’s not to like?
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/news/dave-blogs/q/date/2019/11/17/working-for-the-man?-271862793&mc_cid=5b295f550d&mc_eid=cddb1c3fdb

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘PSA for the drop bar singlespeeders’ is closed to new replies.