Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • PSA: Cheap (but good) workstands on Planet X. Bargain-tastic at £17.50
  • binners

I’ve got one of these and they’re a great bit of kit at full price, but for that price, it’d be rude not to. Workstands are one of those things that when you get one you wonder how you ever managed without one

JOBSWORTH BICYCLE REPAIR WORKSTAND

flyingpotatoes
    Free Member

Great PSA
    Ordered one 🙂

sharkattack

Looks like the same model as my Aldi stand which was about £25. It’s perfectly functional. The only downside for me is the enormous footprint. You don’t have to fully extend it but if you do it’s easy to trip over the legs. Also if you only have a small space to work in it’ll be a tight squeeze.

Cheers @binners my old stand has died a death, perfect replacement.

a11y

The only downside for me is the enormous footprint. You don’t have to fully extend it but if you do it’s easy to trip over the legs.

I’ve got one of these (via Aldi/Lidl @ £25 a few years ago) and for me the large footprint is a positive: it’s much more stable than other more expensive stands I’ve used. I can see how it’d be a PITA in a smaller space though.

b230ftw
    Free Member

I have friends who have had those stands and they tend to fail around the clamp area eventually. Can’t beat for that price I suppose but I bought my Park stand 10 years ago and I reckon I’ll be buried with it. 😂

hooli

The only downside for me is the enormous footprint. You don’t have to fully extend it but if you do it’s easy to trip over the legs. Also if you only have a small space to work in it’ll be a tight squeeze.

I was about to post exactly this, I recently replaced mine as my workspace is too small for the footprint.

eckinspain
    Free Member

I’ve been waiting for a good deal on a stand for while.
    Ordered – thanks.

sharkattack

I’ve just looked at the picture again and realised that mine has 5 or 6 feet rather than 4. Probably explains why I find myself dancing around it when I’m using it! It is very stable though.

martinhutch

You don’t seem that happy with it.

binners

Everything’s relative. Thats me in a good mood

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks for this. I have an original Blackburn that I use for bike cleaning. The coating on the clamp area has worn through. One of these is cheaper and easier than trying to sort it out.

lovewookie

bit of a deal that.
    I had an aldi version a while back but found it wouldn’t hold the bike at an angle, the clamp rotated.

decent for bike washing on though and a bit of light maintenance.

cookeaa

I’ve Currently got a similar Cheapo one but with a ‘K’ shaped base (might have come from ebay three or four years ago IIRC) that’s a better footprint for a workshop and still stable.
    I had one of those folding leg type ones before and they are a bit of a pain TBH.

the PX one might be worth buying for the spare clamp but similar ones pop up on Ebay from time to time for that sort of money (don’t forget PX charge for postage).

As other have said the clamps will go long before the rest of the structure, they can be shored up with epoxy but I might look at actually acquiring a better stand with a proper metal clamp when the current one eventually lets go.

Oh and glue the Rubber bits to the clamp otherwise they randomly fall off and you end up Gaffa taping old inner tubes to it instead.

teamslug
    Free Member

I’ve got the Lidl one. Had it a few years now. Same problem as above. Bike used to rotate but I replaced the clamp with an old lever style seat clamp bolt and it’s fine now.

desperatebicycle

Looks the same as mine – had it so long I’ve got no recollection of where I got it from! Been fine in use for ages – the main problem I had with it was the orange grippers in the jaws kept falling off. I fixed them on with Sugru in the end.
    Been working on my eBike today on it and it held it fine.
    Bargaintastic. 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

I’ve had the Lidl version for years, still works fine. I did need to put a new bolt into the clamp to stop it rotating, but that’s been it.

Northwind

Like everyone else I have the same one from lidl or aldi and it’s fine. it’s not good– it’s pretty much the exact worst bike stand I’d ever want to use for anything. But it’s still good enough to do the job, and it costs about as much as the tool tray for my feedback pro. Mine lives in the garden now for washing and occasional other stuff (it’s surprisingly handy for other diy things) and it’s rusted and hammered but still works.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘PSA: Cheap (but good) workstands on Planet X. Bargain-tastic at £17.50’ is closed to new replies.